Analysis Free kick headf**ked

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm convinced that certain colour jumpers are easier to discern by eye and that is why there is a pattern that blue teams get more frees.

Pity we didn't enter the VFL with our original colours, blue & gold. We had those colours before we entered the VFA but had to change to brown & gold because it clashed with Williamstown. The umps would love us with blue & gold. :)

Pity we didn't enter the VFL with our original colours, blue & gold. We had those colours before we entered the VFA but had to change to brown & gold because it clashed with Williamstown. The umps would love us with blue & gold. :)
Trouble is, if the umpires loved us, imagine the difficulty of having to live with what bulldog supporters have to live with, with the whole, #freekick_bulldogs thing. They'd make some social media campaign saying freekick hawthorn or something, it'd be embarras.... oh wait... they did that anyway.

Yeah Brown was an interesting choice at the time.
Hey I love our colors to the absolute degree. It's like asking any parent how cute/gorgeous their kids are - you all know what I mean.
Yes would of been a good choice to have reverted back to the original Blue & Gold back in 1925.
Even Green & Gold would of been a nice color choice - whether in Green with a Gold yoke or horizontal stripes.
Hard to argue with our strip now that's won 13 GF's & counting;)

I'm not so sure that colours have a huge amount to do with it. If they did then Brisbane, being so close to the Fitzroy jumper, wouldn't be down the bottom of the list with us. Or Melbourne, with a predominantly blue jumper would be up the top. In fact, Melbourne has never had a year in which they have won a free kick count. They have been last 7 times though.

The only thing that is almost beyond doubt is that playing at home is, more often than not, going to win you a free kick count. That has been the case for every team except us!

I do think that success can count against you. Even more so jf you were a tough, aggressive team. Hawthorn in 70's and 80's, North in 70's, Essendon mid 80's, Geelong late 80's, Sydney in mid 2000's and Richmond currently, all had years at the bottom of the free kick count.

Interestingly, our 3 peat team did ok. Despite the media continuing to run with the unsociable Hawks line, apart from a few aggressive acts by Lewis & Lake etc, we were a team that played keepings off and were a low tacking team. I think that helped, unless we were playing Geelong;).

I forgot just how much the "Purple Haze" was in effect that year.

To be fair to them, they had just taken Geelong down in their patch and we almost lost to them at the G.

Granted, you’d expect maybe one Hawthorn tip somewhere in there though I’d have thought. IIRC, Gerard Healy didn’t tip us in any final 2013-2015! Anyway, it’s all humorous now and makes it even sweeter.

Granted, you’d expect maybe one Hawthorn tip somewhere in there though I’d have thought. IIRC, Gerard Healy didn’t tip us in any final 2013-2015!

Felt like it helped us more. We loved being up against it and took every opportunity to go into each Grand Final as the underdog.

Felt like it helped us more. We loved being up against it and took every opportunity to go into each Grand Final as the underdog.

Totally agree.

Never change AFL media, like their opinions impact the result! They’d rather wish for a result over maintaining a reasonable level of credibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would have been the same for the "red" hot $ydney $wans in 2014 I would imagine
Mick Malthouse called that Swans team the greatest list ever or something like that from memory

They did have a very strong season in H&A

Lol its why I backed Lake for the Normie. Keep Pav quiet and they became nothing a but a dour side. We had flair and quality which came to the fore at the right times during the game.

Freo turning the game into a slog was about the only thing that was a monty to predict along with a Hawks win.

Last edited:
I still remember the tram ride to the ground in 2013. The purple haze had hit town on a tidal-wave of momentum. It was party time. All the Freo fans were jumping around, laughing and having fun. I'm looking at them and laughing to myself. "You poor buggers have no clue the emotional roller coaster you are about to be put through".
Every Hawks fan on the other hand, we were all quiet; focused; stoic. Pensive even. Every now and then you'd catch an eye, and get half a smile back before they returned to their 1000 yard stare. We knew what was coming, and we were preparing ourselves.

I didn't cheer and dance on the way to the ground, but when Isaac Smith kicked that goal I sure cheered and danced in the aisle of N26.

I will never forget that tram ride as long as I live.

I still remember the tram ride to the ground in 2013. The purple haze had hit town on a tidal-wave of momentum. It was party time. All the Freo fans were jumping around, laughing and having fun. I'm looking at them and laughing to myself. "You poor buggers have no clue the emotional roller coaster you are about to be put through".
Every Hawks fan on the other hand, we were all quiet; focused; stoic. Pensive even. Every now and then you'd catch an eye, and get half a smile back before they returned to their 1000 yard stare. We knew what was coming, and we were preparing ourselves.

I didn't cheer and dance on the way to the ground, but when Isaac Smith kicked that goal I sure cheered and danced in the aisle of N26.

I was in the Perth airport the night before the game, coming back from work early to go to the G. I sat in a bar there with three Freo supporters chatting for a couple of hours, great blokes I thought, they got drunk (not over the top or anything I didn’t think) got denied entry to the plane (probably wrongly). Heartbreaking at the time as there was no time for them to get to Melbourne any other way.
I went back to the same bar after my next swing and was talking to the same bar girl, apparently one of them lost it, got bloodied up by the police and arrested.

there was a whole bunch of the at the Cricketer's Arms before the game & they were partying like they didnt care if they won or lost - they were just happy to be there & to be fair they were a great bunch of people

there was a whole bunch of the at the Cricketer's Arms before the game & they were partying like they didnt care if they won or lost - they were just happy to be there & to be fair they were a great bunch of people

Yep, shared and shouted beers with a few of them that night!

Freo fans were great in 2013. Before and after.

So different from Geelong in 2008, or even Sydney who won in 2012 but still carried on like complete nobs.

Also credit to Freo fans in 2015. They finished on top but as it turned out they got no double chance. Lost the prelim and straight out. Still no sooking. I really respected their attitude.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back