Analysis Free-kick Ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been saying that since the 18 season when after our flag the umpires when shown vision of what to focus on for the next season were shown infringements with 80% of the vision Richmond highlighted. Then again in 19 and after two off seasons of being shown again and again what to ping/focus on and seeing tiger vision of it, it makes them either consciously or unconsciously already perceive us at fault.

It's the reason so many free's for are not paid to us - IMO the biggest killer.

It's the reason we are always umpired so technically while others are not- It's why when EVERY team plays us the amount of free's they normally concede on average gets cut in half.

I 100% know it happened and happened all while Hocking was at the AFL.

Has zero to do with our game plan. In the 17 season as we did push the boundaries and for that we have been well and truly bent over for years.

The problem with taking it all as a conspiracy is that SHocling actually said and did things that were RFC focused. Esp after the 2020 GF.

But we also were a fairly undisciplined/on the edge team.

Hopefully things will settle down and we can get fair umpiring.

Been saying it for years and the data backs it up. The umpires now umpire the jumper, not the action. They now often guess/assume we infringe. You have to be blind not to see it
The data does back it up. When I did my analysis during the 2021 season at about round 18 or so, you could see that when a team played us, they were usually 1 standard deviation away from their mean free kick number. The only team that gave away more than their average against us was Hawthorn (GWS was rather close).

I don't think we as a board care about the frees that we give away. A lot of them are usually there and there may be 1 or 2 howlers a game. It is more that we don't get them when the same thing happens to us.

There have been a couple of studies to show a positive effect of wearing blue, I think one was wrt soccer and penalties and the other I think was a US sport. Looking at the table of least frees and negative differential it looks like yellow, red and black are colors that do worse, interesting that red and yellow are often warning colours in nature.

There have been a couple of studies to show a positive effect of wearing blue, I think one was wrt soccer and penalties and the other I think was a US sport. Looking at the table of least frees and negative differential it looks like yellow, red and black are colors that do worse, interesting that red and yellow are often warning colours in nature.
pies get sucked off and they have as much black in their jumper as Richmond

I have been saying that since the 18 season when after our flag the umpires when shown vision of what to focus on for the next season were shown infringements with 80% of the vision Richmond highlighted. Then again in 19 and after two off seasons of being shown again and again what to ping/focus on and seeing tiger vision of it, it makes them either consciously or unconsciously already perceive us at fault.

It's the reason so many free's for are not paid to us - IMO the biggest killer.

It's the reason we are always umpired so technically while others are not- It's why when EVERY team plays us the amount of free's they normally concede on average gets cut in half.

I 100% know it happened and happened all while Hocking was at the AFL.

Has zero to do with our game plan. In the 17 season as we did push the boundaries and for that we have been well and truly bent over for years.
I agree 100%. But I don't have any real proof. How do you "100% know it happened"? Tell us more.

I agree 100%. But I don't have any real proof. How do you "100% know it happened"? Tell us more.
It was reported and the campaigner was quoted in the press

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The data does back it up. When I did my analysis during the 2021 season at about round 18 or so, you could see that when a team played us, they were usually 1 standard deviation away from their mean free kick number. The only team that gave away more than their average against us was Hawthorn (GWS was rather close).

I don't think we as a board care about the frees that we give away. A lot of them are usually there and there may be 1 or 2 howlers a game. It is more that we don't get them when the same thing happens to us.

Yep. We do give away stupid momentum killing free kicks but not at the scale the stats indicate. It’s those we are not given or those plays within the umpiring discretion like playing on around the mark etc that kill us.

If what Tiger71 is correct that is an absolute joke and indictment on what is supposed to be a pro league and the biggest one in the country

pies get sucked off and they have as much black in their jumper as Richmond
Jumper colour is not the only variable. There are many other potential influences-
  • the teams style
  • crowd
  • the stadium
  • the vibe for the year
  • the umpires own bias
  • head office

What ever it is, Bulldogs getting + 604 differential compared to the Tigers is pretty outrageous, with a total of 2130 frees for dogs over the 5 years it's 28% differential.

Richmond have received 100 more free kicks than hawthorn in that 5 year sampled period. So hawthorn must really be getting shafted.

it's blatant cheating!

every single rule brought in since 2017 has also been to battle the richmond game plan

6-6-6 rule
stand rule
dissent rule (Jack & Lynch has always carried on when not receiving a free kick and we have a few mouthy players on the field)

you'd think they'd want us to be successful with the money we bring to the game?!
We were reamed with the dissent rule. Players would cop a 50m penalty for shrugging their shoulders. Then watch Geelol and Porkns going off like a two bob watch at the umps and nothing.

Richmond have received 100 more free kicks than hawthorn in that 5 year sampled period. So hawthorn must really be getting shafted.
Not particularly, you can see that with hawthorn their games are less officiated overall. They have low frees for and average frees against.

Maybe the “ free kick Hawthorn “ campaign had an effect on the umpires.

That was a campaign led by Gerald Weakling due to his envy at Hawthorn's success. Earlier he had been claiming hawthorn's appalling free kick differential when compared with the rest of the competition was because of their anti-social football brand i.e. compare Buddy's treatment from the umpires whilst a hawthorn player compared with how he got treated as a swans player. Richmond has incurred something similar due to their success of recent times.

I used to think it was Essendon that got the favourable treatment due to the number of essendon supporting journalists, particularly at the Herald Sun. But you just have to look at how successful Geelong has been at manipulating the competition via their media supporters and insiders at AFL House i.e. changing rules under the guise of improving the appearance (speed) of the game; manipulation of the AFL trade period and salary draft, e.g. Jack Bowes; the manipulation of the draw via their geelong supporting scheduler which includes hawthorn receiving no marquee games on Thursday and Friday nights - yet, a club that has done nothing off their own back to improve their performances in north other then to beg has been gifted two marquee games.

Hawthorn receive the 8th most difficult draw despite finishing bottom 4; Geelong receive 9 games at Kardinia Park and receive the 4th easiest draw according to AFL media. This does not even start with the lopsided free kick counts Geelong obtain from the umpiring fraternity; and the dropping of the shoulders to incur high contact and defended by none other than Gerald Weakling.

The problem with taking it all as a conspiracy is that SHocling actually said and did things that were RFC focused. Esp after the 2020 GF.

But we also were a fairly undisciplined/on the edge team.

Hopefully things will settle down and we can get fair umpiring.
That’s all true. Watching the 2020 GF and there’s an incident where Jack Graham gobs off at the ump when Dangerfop flopped, and won a free. RFC players became the poster child of bad on field behaviour and copped it next game with about a hundred fifties paid against us…
Next game we earnt

it's blatant cheating!

every single rule brought in since 2017 has also been to battle the richmond game plan

6-6-6 rule
stand rule
dissent rule (Jack & Lynch has always carried on when not receiving a free kick and we have a few mouthy players on the field)

you'd think they'd want us to be successful with the money we bring to the game?!
CFL cheats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back