Review Free kicks v Magpies

Remove this Banner Ad

MutleyDog

Grumble Bum Extraordinaire
Nov 5, 2014
Straya
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just in case you were wondering if there was bias against the magpies from SANFL umpires. Check out these stats from the start of last year.
I'll let you decide.
Port Frees-001.jpg

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
I'm waiting for the day when each umpire's decisions are released then we may see patterns
that will not surprise some of us and cause we to scream/yell cheat.

Corby_says

Senior List
Oct 15, 2008
McLaren Vale, S.A.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Power Reserves in SANFL
This is one of the other concessions the SANFL ONLY clubs have organized in conjunction with the UMPIRES, but this handicap has only been reported to SANFL.

PLEASE don't let this frees bias get out or the SANFL ONLY clubs will want to increase it for 2016.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
so in 28 games v the sanfl only clubs we have had less frees in 25 of those games... seems ligit.

112 frees less in those 28 games.....taking out the games against the crows.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
what i noticed, mainly last year and probably this year too, is the free kick count in last quarters, i would love to see that stat.

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Round 14 v Woodville WT. 17 FF, 19 FA, diff of -2, so we actually did pretty well considering the usual trend.

We just need to get away from the SANFL totally and get a proper reserves team. Those guys are just toxic.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Against Sturt
6-18

Yep, 6-18, not a typo.

No doubt we are getting burned but I must concede that today our players got beaten to the ball all day by a team of lesser skilled players. Also they hit their targets and we couldn't. Mind you our pressure was second-rate so we made it easy for Sturt to do as they pleased.

Henezzz

Senior List
Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Really appreciate the effort mate.

What a farce. Any idea on the differentials of the other teams?

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
The -6 differential at the Norwood game on 11/7/15 doesn't reflect the rim job that was done on us after half time. Or after quarter time, I forget exactly. The one thing I remember was that at one point we had just completed a quarter where we were paid no frees at al and a Port player had his head nearly pulled off by a Hulk Hogan-like clothesline and the knuckledraggers at Coopers went up in arms at the idea that their lovely boys could do something so naughty as give away a free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That is laughable

You can always argue against a single game saying you win some and lose some but when you are - 100 free kicks differential over two seasons that points to something being immensely wrong. Can we email this out to some people like tredrea? Would be nice to get the shamfl outed for what it is.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That is laughable

You can always argue against a single game saying you win some and lose some but when you are - 100 free kicks differential over two seasons that points to something being immensely wrong. Can we email this out to some people like tredrea? Would be nice to get the shamfl outed for what it is.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I went to an old Maggie players house yesterday to pick up some of his father's memorabilia that I am going to photocopy and eventually put up on the site.
Bill jnr played 2 senior games in 1960, and about 100 in the magoos, his old man played 100 plus including a couple of flags in the 30's.

Good to see an old Maggie who is not going rough for a quid, I'm not too sure I could even afford the council rates on a corner block at Beaumont. ;)

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That is laughable

Wonder if the AFL's Umpires Association would take an interest. Would they want to promote/employ an umpire that is tarnished by this cheating?

MutleyDog

Nov 5, 2014
Straya
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like to keep this updated as we go.
The stats are not quite so clear cut this year with the new out of bounds rule. But the general trend is still obvious.
Over 2 and a bit years we have had more or the same frees than the opposition 11 times and less than 35 times
Just for interest, a binomial statistical calculation gives the chances of this occurring without bias as .00579%
Port Frees.jpg

MutleyDog

Nov 5, 2014
Straya
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Out of curiosity I had a bit of a look at how the Crows reserves have fared with the SANFL umps this year. It may be cold comfort, but this year at least they are actually getting reamed just as much (maybe more so) than the Magpies. Have the SANFL umps been directed to favour the other teams or is it just happening naturally?

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
On the stream of our game v South just before 3/4 time the commentators had the free kick count 20 to 8
guess which way. They joked shortly after on one of our frees that someone was monitoring the count.
The final count was 28 to 20. Nothing we haven't all seen before. It's cheating at an official level.

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On the stream of our game v South just before 3/4 time the commentators had the free kick count 20 to 8
guess which way. They joked shortly after on one of our frees that someone was monitoring the count.
The final count was 28 to 20. Nothing we haven't all seen before. It's cheating at an official level.

Having not seen SANFL football for a while, I was shocked at how blatant the favouritism is. Cheating is not too strong a word in my opinion.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
Do they count the last kick ones as a free kick? If they do that could go some way to explaining why the count is so slanted against us, with returning AFL players having to deal with a rule they are unfamiliar with. But if they just put it on the stats as an OOF then we are getting reamed.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Do they count the last kick ones as a free kick? If they do that could go some way to explaining why the count is so slanted against us, with returning AFL players having to deal with a rule they are unfamiliar with. But if they just put it on the stats as an OOF then we are getting reamed.

Yes it is something to look into but in '14 and '15 without this rule change we were reamed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back