mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
Free kicks and missed free kicks yet again cost us a shot at the Bays. Although it is true we did drop the bundle in the final quarter the Bays were allowed to get away with scragging the player who did not have the ball. They once got a free when the ball was knocked up twice by one of our players and when he was grabbed he was deemed to be in possession. In the third quarter while we were still ahead and had the wind in the last quarter we were going into the forward lines and a goal was looking very likely. Our player was blatantly legged(uncalled) and the Bays took the ball and scored a goal. That may have been the turning point. And frees finished up close but were well in the favour of the Bays until they were 30 points ahead after 26 minutes into Q4 when we got a raft of soft free kicks.

MutleyDog

Grumble Bum Extraordinaire
Nov 5, 2014
Straya
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For the mathematically minded.
Example done in my year 12 class today.

Binomial Hypothesis Test Example
Are the SANFL Umpires biased against Port Adelaide?
Using data for the most recent 55 Games (from start of 2014 season)
You would expect that without bias, over time there would be the same amount of games when Port get less free kicks than the opposition as the amount of games when they get more.
:= .5
:≠ .5
Sample size of 55 games
Both np & n(1-p) are greater than 10. Sample size is large enough to be approx normal.
No of games when Port receive more or same amount of frees = 14
p̂=14/55= .25
Therefore test statistic is = -3.64
P value = .00027 (.027% chance of occurring if even amount expected)
P value is significantly less than .05 and also significantly less than .01
Therefore at both a 5% and 1% significance level, there is very strong evidence to reject the null hypothesis, therefore suggesting bias.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
For the mathematically minded.
Example done in my year 12 class today.

Binomial Hypothesis Test Example
Are the SANFL Umpires biased against Port Adelaide?
Using data for the most recent 55 Games (from start of 2014 season)
You would expect that without bias, over time there would be the same amount of games when Port get less free kicks than the opposition as the amount of games when they get more.
:= .5
:≠ .5
Sample size of 55 games
Both np & n(1-p) are greater than 10. Sample size is large enough to be approx normal.
No of games when Port receive more or same amount of frees = 14
p̂=14/55= .25
Therefore test statistic is = -3.64
P value = .00027 (.027% chance of occurring if even amount expected)
P value is significantly less than .05 and also significantly less than .01
Therefore at both a 5% and 1% significance level, there is very strong evidence to reject the null hypothesis, therefore suggesting bias.
Confirms mine and most supporters' suspicions. It has got to the stage where we expect it and only react when it's blatant.
A cheat chant needs to be given by the cheersquad and if others do so too maybe the point will get across.
Our AFL game v GWS and umpire #29's 'performance' had the Riverbank section of the crowd chanting BS.
One eyed paranoia? maybe, but I don't think so.

MutleyDog

Nov 5, 2014
Straya
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port Frees.jpg
The umpiring in the Power game was that bad on the weekend I found myself saying - "this is like watching a Maggies game". On that note I realised I hadn't updated this thread for awhile (also lost some of the end 2016 numbers). Spoiler alert - we are still getting reamed.

Last edited:

MutleyDog

Nov 5, 2014
Straya
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It starts again ! Against South on the weekend things went to a new level. Will be writing the the club this week to get their thoughts. But when at quarter time the frees are 13-0. wtf, just wtf. Don't even start me on the non free to Aidyn Johnson.

1554616914139.png

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
On the Westies game I have doubts on our 17 free kicks. I had to leave at 3/4 time but a woman in the cheersquad
had counted 4 frees to us at 3/4 time. I said "are you sure"? and she said "yep tonight I decided to count them".
Imo it's a convenient typo and is more likely to have been 7.
Saturday at Alberton was a disgrace and the AJ one of which I had a perfect view as did the ump btw 15m's away.
I didn't realise it was 13-0 at 1/4 time wtf is going on :mad: i'm so sick of it like everybody else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back