Free to air footy on the way out

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a ******* disgrace. Its already bad as it is. How does the afl expect to grow if it reduces the amount of games that are broadcast? How are smaller clubs supposed to get and keep supporters when they are hardly ever shown on tv. If this trend continues you will be forced to get foxtel in order to watch anything other than friday night games. There is absolutely no way i'm giving any money to Rupert Murdoch either. I am very glad that i can use the afl live pass as it is a good service, but many people don't have access to good internet, (particularly in regional areas) and the app bugs out pretty often even with a really good connection.

What is the AFL's end game here? what is the point of getting increasingly large amounts of money if the supporters cant enjoy the game they love?

edit, my response might be a bit off topic so feel free to ignore it or whatever, i just needed to rant a bit. I just feel that the bigger clubs get so much more attention which makes them bigger and the cycle continues, which in conjunction with the general erosion of free to air coverage generally lessens my enjoyment of the afl

Last edited:

Not great. Hopefully those 11 games get on-sold.

But
, from my VIC perspective, this would be no different to the current deal. I pirate stream the Saturday afternoon FTA game or don't watch it at all. Sure as hell don't avoid the scores for 90 minutes to watch it delayed (with bonus ads).

Thos sucks! If these games don't get on-sold it'll be a damn disgrace! Just another example of how the game is being ripped away from people who can't afford it. You want to be more fan friendly AFL? Don't demand so much! The damn board could take a pay cut and still it would add up to player wages with the TV networks to fork out less! Yet the only corporation that can fork out to afford such things are the private exclusive ones so that you're average joe in the country who already finds the burden of getting to games expensive as it can't even damn well afford to watch the game on the privacy of his own home. This is ridicules, Soon it's just going to be an exclusive service. Why don't the AFL just launch their own channel and cut out the middle man?

Also channel 10, pull the finger out for the love of it, please! You want to get back into the AFL action you have to compromise, you and Foxtel already have a good agreement, yet now you want to get greedy with BBL. How stupid are you? You have a cash cow in the summer yet sacrificing a couple of BBL games a week means you could have a cash cow in the summer still with a strong revenue in the winter, because nobody else watches your crap in the winter, just sign the contract ffs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back