The Law Freedom of Speech

Carringbush2010

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
No, we just tiptoe around what we say when our time is not our own, as you're meant to do when you are subject to the employment relationship.

If he was fired for something he said when he was not at work - merely for espousing right wing views - then I'd be standing right next to you shouting about freedom of speech, but when you are at work your speech is not free.

Where we are arguing here is that you are prioritising his freedom of speech over the employer's right to his time as constrained by the employee/employer relationship. If you did that, that relationship would not be worthwhile en masse, for how can you control whether an employee bags out their business if they have freedom of speech? If you insist on society maintaining its current shape - if you don't, I'm actually all for that; I'm an anarchist, albeit a pacificic one - then you cannot really change that balance without upending the apple cart. Either his speech is free and you change society to compensate - and it would require heavy, heavy compensation - or while his time is his employers he should watch what he says at all times.

If it's an ethical problem on the part of his employers, all I can say is, sure? Whether it is or isn't is almost irrelevant, because in practical terms there is little anyone can do, based on what parameters we know of this scenario, to change things to allow for political speech his boss doesn't like.

Were he in a union, though, that could be radically different.
We could go round and round in circles on this, so I'll end it on this note and this is part of the problem.

You've stated "merely for espousing right wing views" is part of the problem. You think it's right wing where as I think he's expressing concern.

So one's view of what is concern and what is motivated obviously varies from the next and I don't think it's ethical to discipline someone with reasoned concern but if said employer inadvertently believes the expressed views are motivated and the bloke who claims they're concerns then we have a problem.

My view on the whole debate is that we have societal pressures that are a little suffocating in the name of "protecting the meek of mind".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gethelred

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
We could go round and round in circles on this, so I'll end it on this note and this is part of the problem.

You've stated "merely for espousing right wing views" is part of the problem. You think it's right wing where as I think he's expressing concern.

So one's view of what is concern and what is motivated obviously varies from the next and I don't think it's ethical to discipline someone with reasoned concern but if said employer inadvertently believes the expressed views are motivated and the bloke who claims they're concerns then we have a problem.

My view on the whole debate is that we have societal pressures that are a little suffocating in the name of "protecting the meek of mind".
It would not matter if his views were right or left wing. They are political in nature, at a time which is not his own, and you are certainly correct that we are going in circles.

In this case, the employer can dismiss him for almost whatever reason, because society has valued the employer/employee relationship ahead of his freedom of speech. You don't. That's more or less the end of the discussion, as it isn't practical to uproot society to make him not fire him for reasons of freedom of speech, unless you actively want to change society to make such a change possible.

CheapCharlie

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Sydney
Doesn't all these YouTube hucksters making videos about having no freedom of speech kind of disprove their point?

But by all means; please like and subscribe.
A lot get banned or their videos removed. There isnt much freedom of speech on Youtube unless you are from the left side of politics

You mentioned once you have your own Youtube channel. What is the name of it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WA ROO

FSB 5th Directorate
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Devil Sport Club
Are you ever able to defend your position?
My position is that youtube is biased towards the regressive left
The channel deletions,shadow bans and vid deletions prove this

Why don't you use your old name?
Are you ashamed and embarrassed by it?

Top Bottom