The Law Freedom of Speech

No me neither. Have seen it tweeted by people who are pretty reliable at checking the authenticity of what they retweet. But haven't looked into it myself. It passes the sniff test for being 100% ******** for mine but of course it's only a graph. The real info is in the methodology and analysis which requires nuance.

us-political-divide.JPG

I'm pretty comfortable with the liberal values. Still shocking that 1 in 3 Republican voters think homosexuality should be discouraged. Like that never hurt anyone.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
View attachment 670107

I'm pretty comfortable with the liberal values. Still shocking that 1 in 3 Republican voters think homosexuality should be discouraged. Like that never hurt anyone.
On a downward trend which is great. Also interesting to note the recent trends towards 50/50 splits in both parties regarding government being wasteful. Would be very interesting to see how the two different points of view are shifting to that position.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Why would anyone take offence to something like “the sky is blue, and other colours at different times of day and year”?

What is the standard for “offence”?

The "standard" will vary from one person to the next won't it? For example if I was to say that religion in it's endth degree is homophobic because it views homosexuality as a sin well then someone (and probably a lot more) are going take offence aren't they? Even though many would view that is a reasonable statement (unless you're someone like Folau) and the intent is not to offend.

If you want to take it to there, sure. The point was one side has created the gulf between parties and moved the median. Classical liberals/conservatives that were once considered centre left/centre are now deemed far right because of that swing. It's a different argument altogether if you feel that the left has better values etc.

View attachment 669771
Also, note that Republicans have actually moved to the right.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
View attachment 670107

Typical democrats..."government can't afford to do much more"

Holding their hand out. "give us free schooling, raise our wages, give us money so we don't have to work and can get paid to enjoy hobbies like pottery and art...:drunk:"

Typical democrats..."government can't afford to do much more"

Holding their hand out. "give us free schooling, raise our wages, give us money so we don't have to work and can get paid to enjoy hobbies like pottery and art...:drunk:"
Where are you getting these generalisations? Why do you think we want to hear them?

You speak for everyone? Not surprised that a leftist would want to suppress free speech. It's all the rage.
Why do you think we want to hear the boring little generalisations you recycle from your YouTube binges?

What do you think it adds to anyone's understanding of anything?

I can't see that repeating this guff over and over again adds anything.

Is it just that you want to virtue signal to that weird strata of Australian society that truly thinks they really will vote in an American election one day? That can empathise with a Brexit leave voter but can't empathise with a caged refugee?

If so, there's a board for that. I can give you the link.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why do you think we want to hear the boring little generalisations you recycle from your YouTube binges?

What do you think it adds to anyone's understanding of anything?

I can't see that repeating this guff over and over again adds anything.

Is it just that you want to virtue signal to that weird strata of Australian society that truly thinks they really will vote in an American election one day? That can empathise with a Brexit leave voter but can't empathise with a caged refugee?

If so, there's a board for that. I can give you the link.
Can you sympathise with the women that are trafficked over the border and those that are assaulted/raped before and after they cross. The figures that highlight the children brought in with "parents" don't even belong to them 80% of the time. The US citizens that are homeless and neglected in favour of people that aren't even from that country. Those cages that were set up by the Obama administration.

You can virtue signal all you want and claim the high ground but there are figures that go against your CNN, MSNBC, and WaPo views/reads.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Please fill out one of these forms if Chief or other mods have censored your free speech on bigfooty (that is judging based on their leftist views). You can include screenshots. Trump will take care of it.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
There doesn't seem to be any recent threads in the SRP about freedom of speech as a concept itself - more so reactions to specific issues or events as they have happened over time.

Australia has lawful protection of political speech, but no explicit law protecting general speech (or text etc) in the same way other countries like the United States may have; however, there was an 'implied freedom of speech that was recognised' in a High Court case regarding political speech. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_by_country#Australia).

In recent times, there have been a few somewhat high profile cases crop up in popular discourse internationally, particularly by those who are ardent supporters of free speech rights. The United States always has examples to discuss, but more recently, it's been argued by many that some countries are flirting with the line between banning speech and compelling it, such as in Canada and the UK.

Popular academic figure Dr Jordan Peterson initially rose to public fame in response to his refusal to follow what he believed to be compelled speech laws that were proposed (and later make law) in Canada regarding the appropriate use of personal pronouns. This is an ongoing debate which has polarised many people.

You may also be aware of Count Dunkula - a shitposting Scotsman who put a video on YouTube where he taught his partner's dog to bark when hearing the phrase "Gas the Jews' and made it salute at imagines of Hitler in order to 'prank' his partner. A long and drawn out legal battle happened which ultimately resulted in him being convicted (without jail time). Depending on where you sit, this is either a complete travesty or fair enough.

South Yorkshire Police in the UK have come under fire after they asked that people report all offensive speech found online, even if it didn't break any laws. It's also been reported that several thousand in the UK have been investigated by police for things posted online.

And most recently, creator of the Father Ted, Black Books and The IT Crowd TV shows Graham Linehan was warned by police in the UK after he used 'a transgender activist's birth name on Twitter' and was reported for transphobia (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...sing-transgender-activists-birth-Twitter.html).

I love a good Jonathan Pie clip, and in my opinion, the below is a great one:

Are the traditionally liberal / progressive views regarding freedom of speech at risk of being eroded at the hands of extremists of the very same political orientation?

Freedom of speech seems to be an excuse for the right wingers to claim being muzzled because they spit bigoted bile.

Back