The Law Freedom of Speech

Remove this Banner Ad

The kid can slink back into the world of beer pong and date rape, his Warhol 15 is over. His actions were filmed and people judged him accordingly, maybe he'll think twice about doing it next time if it effected him so badly it required $250 mil in remedy.
Calling someone a date rapist is a bit unbecoming of a mod, even for you.

The kid can slink back into the world of beer pong and date rape, his Warhol 15 is over. His actions were filmed and people judged him accordingly, maybe he'll think twice about doing it next time if it effected him so badly it required $250 mil in remedy.
Not sure if you haven't actually seen any of the footage or if this is a textbook case of ideological blinkers.

What a horrible thing to say.

Pathetic

Not sure if you haven't actually seen any of the footage or if this is a textbook case of ideological blinkers.

What a horrible thing to say.
I've seen it, you view it one way I the other. This lad seemed to think that people holding him to account for his behaviour is worth multiple millions of dollars, a judge ruled otherwise.

I've seen it, you view it one way I the other. This lad seemed to think that people holding him to account for his behaviour is worth multiple millions of dollars, a judge ruled otherwise.
Jesus. I'd ask "What behaviour?" but this isn't a rabbit hole worth going down.

Many prominent journos and media personalities apologised for their characterisation of the kid and the school group in the days after it.

I'll be sure to remember how you've framed this next time a left-winger is put through something similar.

Many prominent journos and media personalities apologised for their characterisation of the kid and the school group in the days after it.

I'll be sure to remember how you've framed this next time a left-winger is put through something similar.
MAGA hats? Deserved it.

You're acting like the kid didn't know what he was doing. He's no innocent.

Your heart is filled with pointless hatred, my friend. Railing against children, yikes...

You're acting like the kid didn't know what he was doing. He's no innocent.
Yeah he was definitely planning on announcing himself as "the face of white supremacy in America" when he got up that day.

I'm not going into this with you any further. There's absolutely no point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he was definitely planning on announcing himself as "the face of white supremacy in America" when he got up that day.

I'm not going into this with you any further. There's absolutely no point.
His case was I did something knowingly in the full view of cameras, not everybody liked it and my feelings got hurt give me $250 million dollars. It was Hutzesque in it's inadequacy.

His case was I did something knowingly in the full view of cameras, not everybody liked it and my feelings got hurt give me $250 million dollars. It was Hutzesque in it's inadequacy.
Pretty certain you had a go at those saying the same stuff regarding Jussie Smollett who you were so keen to defend. Good hypocrisy once again.

Ultimately, if the articles and tweets were opinion, then that law interpretation is correct. But that just brings up more questions about the appropriateness of the laws and accountability in the media. Social media has created a whole new world where it's fair to ask whether the old laws and principles are still appropriate. Are the effects of invasive and instantly world-wide social media blow-ups comparable to the social landscape of when libel laws were formed? The obvious answer is no. But what then? Should they be changed and how?
One obvious area social media has changed the modern communication landscape is with suppression orders. Anything worth reporting globally makes domestic suppression orders useless.
One court reporter I know says in Victoria the courts are still completely paper-based and stuck in the 20th century.

One obvious area social media has changed the modern communication landscape is with suppression orders. Anything worth reporting globally makes domestic suppression orders useless.
One court reporter I know says in Victoria the courts are still completely paper-based and stuck in the 20th century.
Yep, we've seen and dealt with that on this very forum not long ago. The speed with which the internet and, more specifically, social media has changed the landscape of many areas in society has been like nothing else before it, and the vast majority of our laws were written for a pre-internet era. I know many people start rolling their eyes and are sick of hearing about just how significant the advent of the internet and social media has been, but it's really hard to understate just how much that is the case. It permeates almost everything. It's little wonder we still don't really understand how to integrate it into our everyday lives and understand its effects yet, from the site of the individual right through to worldwide scales.

Yep, we've seen and dealt with that on this very forum not long ago. The speed with which the internet and, more specifically, social media has changed the landscape of many areas in society has been like nothing else before it, and the vast majority of our laws were written for a pre-internet era. I know many people start rolling their eyes and are sick of hearing about just how significant the advent of the internet and social media has been, but it's really hard to understate just how much that is the case. It permeates almost everything. It's little wonder we still don't really understand how to integrate it into our everyday lives and understand its effects yet, from the site of the individual right through to worldwide scales.
Too true. A lot of work has been done on 'the cult of identity' as opinions are no longer shaped by the people around you, but by the people you actively engage and that increasingly happens via social media.
It's a little bit 'second life' where who you are and the person you are on social media can become divorced of one another. Interestingly, it's often the loneliest people in society are shown to be the most ardent users of social media which seems to bear itself out judging by who updates their Facebook status 15 times per day, and who doesn't.

Too true. A lot of work has been done on 'the cult of identity' as opinions are no longer shaped by the people around you, but by the people you actively engage and that increasingly happens via social media.
It's a little bit 'second life' where who you are and the person you are on social media can become divorced of one another. Interestingly, it's often the loneliest people in society are shown to be the most ardent users of social media which seems to bear itself out judging by who updates their Facebook status 15 times per day, and who doesn't.
Yes, that's the power of the net to exploit everyone's deeply held desires for belonging and meaning. People can now find like-minded others all around the work from the 10x5cm device in their hands and feel a part of something, even to the point of buying in to things they don't truly believe in order to identify with a group. That's always been people's propensity, but it just magnified and expanded now beyond belief.

And an example of how this internet world plays out different to the real world is exactly how you described it - a second Life, so to speak. Very rarely will anyone come across the vile elements you can easily find on Facebook or Twitter IRL. At least not in the experience of most (it depends on the circles you move in to a degree). It's a strange world.

Yes, that's the power of the net to exploit everyone's deeply held desires for belonging and meaning. People can now find like-minded others all around the work from the 10x5cm device in their hands and feel a part of something, even to the point of buying in to things they don't truly believe in order to identify with a group. That's always been people's propensity, but it just magnified and expanded now beyond belief.

And an example of how this internet world plays out different to the real world is exactly how you described it - a second Life, so to speak. Very rarely will anyone come across the vile elements you can easily find on Facebook or Twitter IRL. At least not in the experience of most (it depends on the circles you move in to a degree). It's a strange world.
In most cases individuals with vile opinions and plans don’t think they are vile at all. They truly believe they are the good guys. The rational people saying things society needs to hear.

True belief is hard to counter. Get an online army of such people and you’re in a new world.

The current talk from people in the know is:

* Social media and other tech companies sold the world on the upside of everyone being able to talk to everyone.

* What has happened is these companies use this to profile people, creating virtual avatars that they can throw ads at to see if the avatars click.

* Facebook and Twitter have no real desire to curb bad behaviour: bad behaviour is often just a person's true, unfiltered opinion or attitude. This is gold for a data-mining company. No more hiding what you really like. People tell everyone everything and open themselves up to advertising that REALLY appeals to them.

* The casualty is human connection, which relies on filtering. I KNOW my cousin in Buttville hates Muslims. But I block it out to maintain cordial relations. If I have access to his daily thoughts on the topic then I can't block it out and I either ignore it and be seen to accept it, or I respond and - TA DA! - my unfiltered views are now in Facebook's database.

* Profit!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back