Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
The current talk from people in the know is:

* Social media and other tech companies sold the world on the upside of everyone being able to talk to everyone.

* What has happened is these companies use this to profile people, creating virtual avatars that they can throw ads at to see if the avatars click.

* Facebook and Twitter have no real desire to curb bad behaviour: bad behaviour is often just a person's true, unfiltered opinion or attitude. This is gold for a data-mining company. No more hiding what you really like. People tell everyone everything and open themselves up to advertising that REALLY appeals to them.

* The casualty is human connection, which relies on filtering. I KNOW my cousin in Buttville hates Muslims. But I block it out to maintain cordial relations. If I have access to his daily thoughts on the topic then I can't block it out and I either ignore it and be seen to accept it, or I respond and - TA DA! - my unfiltered views are now in Facebook's database.

* Profit!
And everyone worships the almighty dollar, continuing to sacrifice ethics and principles at its alter.

ralphmalph

Club Legend
Jul 24, 2004
milwaukee
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
The current talk from people in the know is:

* Social media and other tech companies sold the world on the upside of everyone being able to talk to everyone.

* What has happened is these companies use this to profile people, creating virtual avatars that they can throw ads at to see if the avatars click.

* Facebook and Twitter have no real desire to curb bad behaviour: bad behaviour is often just a person's true, unfiltered opinion or attitude. This is gold for a data-mining company. No more hiding what you really like. People tell everyone everything and open themselves up to advertising that REALLY appeals to them.

* The casualty is human connection, which relies on filtering. I KNOW my cousin in Buttville hates Muslims. But I block it out to maintain cordial relations. If I have access to his daily thoughts on the topic then I can't block it out and I either ignore it and be seen to accept it, or I respond and - TA DA! - my unfiltered views are now in Facebook's database.

* Profit!
You might like this article, Chief

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
The kid can slink back into the world of beer pong and date rape, his Warhol 15 is over. His actions were filmed and people judged him accordingly, maybe he'll think twice about doing it next time if it effected him so badly it required $250 mil in remedy.

Yes, people should think twice about standing still while others walk slowly up to them.

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
When Milo was refused entry I was like "Good riddance, deserved what he got. Thems the rules of entry for non citizens."

Which is fair enough for people to believe

However given the rise in influence in international politics from authoritarian institutions and the problems in Hong Kong etc. I am now finding myself in agreeance with people like Hildebrand, maybe it's best to let all those conservatives in and just make the public aware of how stupid their ideology is. We have a lot of shills on both sides who would deep down love a CCP style authoritarian government based on the ideology they agree with.

The debate from some on the far left is truly embarrassing for those who see the world of politics beyond America and Europe. There are people justifiably fighting for serious democratic causes us Aussies would unlikely have to deal with. I say that as a centre left person who despises Dutton's ambitions to stifle freedom of speech.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets

released tomorrow. Another Project Veritas special. I look forward to google and youtube trying to shut it down again :drunk:

Nothing PV has ever done has been proven to be correct. It's run by a fraud and they've been successfully sued a couple of times for being dimwitted.

Remember that epic fail of an attempt to sting the Post? My god, it was a thing of beauty.

When Milo was refused entry I was like "Good riddance, deserved what he got. Thems the rules of entry for non citizens."

Which is fair enough for people to believe

However given the rise in influence in international politics from authoritarian institutions and the problems in Hong Kong etc. I am now finding myself in agreeance with people like Hildebrand, maybe it's best to let all those conservatives in and just make the public aware of how stupid their ideology is. We have a lot of shills on both sides who would deep down love a CCP style authoritarian government based on the ideology they agree with.

The debate from some on the far left is truly embarrassing for those who see the world of politics beyond America and Europe. There are people justifiably fighting for serious democratic causes us Aussies would unlikely have to deal with. I say that as a centre left person who despises Dutton's ambitions to stifle freedom of speech.
Yeah in the end I think “just let the dickhead speak”.

But also, he’s got the Internet. He can do streaming events from his cardboard box. He hasn’t really lost his ability to distribute his shitty little ideas.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nothing PV has ever done has been proven to be correct. It's run by a fraud and they've been successfully sued a couple of times for being dimwitted.

Remember that epic fail of an attempt to sting the Post? My god, it was a thing of beauty.
I'm shocked that you'd take that stance regarding Project Veritas :$

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I'm shocked that you'd take that stance regarding Project Veritas :$
Shocked that I'd take a stance that respects the institution of journalism versus a guerilla style of attempted stings that fail spectacularly because what they are trying to expose doesn't exist? Journalists target the fire when they see smoke, they don't try and start a fire where there is no smoke.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Shocked that I'd take a stance that respects the institution of journalism versus a guerilla style of attempted stings that fail spectacularly because what they are trying to expose doesn't exist? Journalists target the fire when they see smoke, they don't try and start a fire where there is no smoke.
Institution of journalism...

Journalism died a long time ago. It's been replaced with clickbait that's poorly research bordering on propaganda. Fuelled by deep wallets that have a narrative to push. Project Veritas puts the entire MSM to shame.

You don't like it because they set out to expose the bias. The bias you agree with. That's why it's no surprise. Instead of stopping goggle and/or another big tech from meddling in serious issues you turn it into a stupid right vs. left thing. There are bigger issues than that. But of course, you stick up for google :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Institution of journalism...

View attachment 727175

Journalism died a long time ago. It's been replaced with clickbait that's poorly research bordering on propaganda. Fuelled by deep wallets that have a narrative to push. Project Veritas puts the entire MSM to shame.

You don't like it because they set out to expose the bias. The bias you agree with. That's why it's no surprise. Instead of stopping goggle and/or another big tech from meddling in serious issues you turn it into a stupid right vs. left thing. There are bigger issues than that. But of course, you stick up for google :$
Less cool aid Alex.

Maybe you should watch PV first before you bleat about how good they are.

Tell me how did their sting of the Post go? You never answered me.

Also how is Adam Cerra going at North Melbourne?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
From the UK.

Two television ads, one featuring new dads bungling comically while looking after their babies and the other a woman sitting next to a pram, have become the first to be banned under new rules designed to reduce gender stereotyping.​
The Advertising Standards Authority banned the ads, for Volkswagen and Philadelphia cream cheese, following complaints from the public that they perpetuated harmful stereotypes.​
The new rules, introduced at the beginning of the year, ban the depiction of men and women engaged in gender-stereotypical activities to help stop “limiting how people see themselves and how others see them and the life decisions they take”.​

There's a fair amount of ads that portray men as stupid and women as smart. They are annoying but I wouldn't ban them.

From the UK.

Two television ads, one featuring new dads bungling comically while looking after their babies and the other a woman sitting next to a pram, have become the first to be banned under new rules designed to reduce gender stereotyping.​
The Advertising Standards Authority banned the ads, for Volkswagen and Philadelphia cream cheese, following complaints from the public that they perpetuated harmful stereotypes.​
The new rules, introduced at the beginning of the year, ban the depiction of men and women engaged in gender-stereotypical activities to help stop “limiting how people see themselves and how others see them and the life decisions they take”.​

There's a fair amount of ads that portray men as stupid and women as smart. They are annoying but I wouldn't ban them.
They can run them on YouTube.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
"White professor investigated for quoting James Baldwin's use of N-word"

Professor investigated by her uni for mentioning the title of a poem. The irony being that the complaint was pursued by a white student, taking offense on behalf of black people, over a quote from a black person. Strange times!

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers

Professor investigated by her uni for mentioning the title of a poem. The irony being that the complaint was pursued by a white student, taking offense on behalf of black people, over a quote from a black person. Strange times!
Was teaching a unit of work on Of Mice and Men with year 11s a while ago and they were all so s**t scared of saying the N-word while reading the book in class. I can understand it and to be honest it's good they think about the consequences of these things, but it was pretty funny. Just read the book kid... The racism is part of why we're studying it!

"Inquiry" could mean they rang him to ask the context so they could tick off "inquired" box and tell the student to shut up and deal with it.

But it looks like they brought her in and questioned her.

So stupid.

JW Frogen

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
No human being on Earth is wise enough to tell another person what they can think, write or say.

What they do is another thing.

The world and history has had enough slobbering half wits posing as wise Grand Inquisitors.

Worthwhile commentary on the recent High Court decision concerning the implied freedom of political expression in the Commonwealth Constitution.

“he current PSA states that its first main object is ‘to establish an apolitical public service that is efficient in serving the Government, the Parliament and the Australian public’, and regulating the conduct of employees in the provisions under challenge is the machinery for achieving that object (see [75]ff). After reviewing those provisions, Gageler J emphasised that once an investigation occurs and a breach is found, there are a range of sanctions that may be imposed, and that the investigation, decision-making process must afford procedural fairness and is subject to the normal requirements that discretion be exercised within the bounds of reasonableness (at [82]ff), and that the decision is subject to internal and external review (at [85]ff).”

So it’s not just “don’t say anything about the government”. There are degrees and reasoning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back