Autopsy FREEEEOOOO!!!! (win by 4 to get back in the 8) - Rd 20

Remove this Banner Ad

That was an exhilarating and heart stopping final quarter, as good as any played in 2021 as both sides never gave an inch.

Yesterday Cerra was the biggest revelation for me as I had marked him down as a talented but bruise free player. The last two games he has come of age as an AFL footballer. His final quarter was outstanding and convinced me he is the real thing by having back to back great games.

Hayden Young is a real talent and looked very competent whenever he had the ball or was defending. Did a great job to keep Bolton on the leash.

Given that we have spent more than our share of games away from home and played through an injury crisis (again) a great effort by the team to hang in and have the belief to fight the game out to the final siren.

Richmond have lost 6 out of their past 7 and are not the power they were in past seasons but still had the players and motivation to have a red hot crack at this game, we did well to not wilt in the face of an experienced and motivated opponent.

Richmond have lost 6 out of their past 7 and are not the power they were in past seasons but still had the players and motivation to have a red hot crack at this game, we did well to not wilt in the face of an experienced and motivated opponent.
This is poignant, in the first it looked like they weren't going to show up at all (maybe they wouldn't have if we kicked straight) and I was happy we were going to get an easy kill like some others have in that run.

What's way better than that is getting a serious challenge from a once great (still decent) side and standing tall. It's way better than a 10 goal win against witches hats even if our % doesn't reflect that.

I hope its the trigger for the belief of the young guys - hey, we can win against anyone if we go hard from q1 to q4.

I’m staggered anyone could have doubts about Henry. His is very rare talent.
He was injured in his U18 year & barely played any football before going straight into the cauldron of AFL & he’s still a little overwhelmed at the level but have you ever seen anyone pick up a ball one touch at full tilt the way he does?
His vision, decision making and execution of either leg is exquisite when he’s in the moment & the mistakes will lessen as he gets more comfortable as they already are.
More talent than Walters or Hill just remains to be seen if he has the mental toughness & work ethic but I’ve not heard a bad word said about his preparation & training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just need to separate "doubts" about ability to "doubts" about making it as a consistent AFL footballer. The skill sets are not the same. I agree he needs more time and he is obviously rated highly otherwise he wouldnt be in the team for as long as he has been. Lit up the wing briefly. Deserves more time there.

I’m staggered anyone could have doubts about Henry. His is very rare talent.
He was injured in his U18 year & barely played any football before going straight into the cauldron of AFL & he’s still a little overwhelmed at the level but have you ever seen anyone pick up a ball one touch at full tilt the way he does?
His vision, decision making and execution of either leg is exquisite when he’s in the moment & the mistakes will lessen as he gets more comfortable as they already are.
More talent than Walters or Hill just remains to be seen if he has the mental toughness & work ethic but I’ve not heard a bad word said about his preparation & training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd love to know (Taylor or anyone else) how much you can improve your tank or how much its max it determined at birth. I think it's the biggest thing limiting him at the moment where you can see he gets completely gassed pretty quickly.

I’d forgotten what it feels like to actually enjoy watching us play. Two minor gripes though, firstly Treacy was well held, that was disappointing, and secondly, why does Tabs just let the defender hold him out of the marking contest 2-3 metres from the fall of the ball? He doesn’t remonstrate or anything, he just stands there letting the defender hold him. Dixon, Buddy and Hawkins physically throw the defender out of the way, often illegally in my opinion, but the ump let’s them get away with it. Why doesn’t Tabs do that? He’s already conceding the mark, so what if he gives away a free. Tabs needs to develop some mongrel, he needs to let defenders know that he won’t be dominated physically. It really, REALLY pisses me off.

I’d forgotten what it feels like to actually enjoy watching us play. Two minor gripes though, firstly Treacy was well held, that was disappointing, and secondly, why does Tabs just let the defender hold him out of the marking contest 2-3 metres from the fall of the ball? He doesn’t remonstrate or anything, he just stands there letting the defender hold him. Dixon, Buddy and Hawkins physically throw the defender out of the way, often illegally in my opinion, but the ump let’s them get away with it. Why doesn’t Tabs do that? He’s already conceding the mark, so what if he gives away a free. Tabs needs to develop some mongrel, he needs to let defenders know that he won’t be dominated physically. It really, REALLY pisses me off.
He had a good game but I commented the exact same in the gameday thread. Too many times he just gives up on creating a contest and it shits me. If you could add the mongrel Treacy has you'd have a perennial AA player. Too his credit, he was MUCH better the 2nd half

I don't care what anyone thinks. The Green Meanie Jumpers are awesome. It was great to have the old song trotted out, as well as the anchor. Apart from it being very cold, it was a great night at the footy.

Random thoughts:
  • Brayshaw is a superstar
  • Cerra isn't far behind
  • Neither is Luke Ryan
  • Young, Serrong and Henry are all going to be good.
  • Western and Walker have potential
  • I hope Bailey Banfeild is OK (although he was walking around after the game)
  • Sean Darcy is continuing to improve
  • Griffin Logue is becoming solidly consistent
  • Even though he's like a box of chocolates (you never know what you're going to get) - Tabs is great! - congrats on hitting the Ton.

"Griffin Logue career best first half. Fought hard. 6/10."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I felt bad for abusing Matthew Parker after he kicked 2 against us at critical times - I didn't even realise I'd been working with him mutually at Safety Bay SHS for the first half of the year. Top bloke and dedicated to supporting the young fellas, it's a shame we didn't snatch him up ourselves in the mid-season break as we would have been his preferred destination.

Oh yeah and good win by us.

Connor Blakely was so surprising. On the wing, running hard and beautiful kicking. 17 disposals is a great return for a sub

Imagine if he was given something like... continuity?

More than most other fringe players I actually see Blakely as starting 22, but he will need some time and perseverance to get there.

Where Blakely was playing, his role, after coming on to replace Banfield is something I'm interested to take a closer look at on replay because I don't remember him playing in what I'd describe as mission critical positions and although covering space is a thankless job - it's also not something should be rewarding with job security.

Mah bad, could have sworn he was out of contract this year
I assumed you thought we could delist him and relist him on the rookie list. He can take Hughes' place on the rookie list assuming all of Bewley, Schutlz, Treacy, Watson and Banfield remain.

And you'd be exactly right.

I assumed you thought we could delist him and relist him on the rookie list. He can take Hughes' place on the rookie list assuming all of Bewley, Schutlz, Treacy, Watson and Banfield remain.

And you'd be exactly right.
Yeah, sure, that's what I meant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back