Autopsy FREEEEOOOO!!!! (win by 4 to get back in the 8) - Rd 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Not great reading for Tiges fans here IMO
View attachment 1194138
It's funny that the 1 player we had with 150 or more games has actually played 350 or more. Mundy has actually played more games than Western, Meek, Walker, Young, Watson, Treacy, Herny, Serong, Crowden, Banfield, Logue, Schultz, and Darcy combined.

It's funny that the 1 player we had with 150 or more games has actually played 350 or more. Mundy has actually played more games than Western, Meek, Walker, Young, Watson, Treacy, Herny, Serong, Crowden, Banfield, Logue, Schultz, and Darcy combined.
Take out Mundy and the team average games drops by 16.

How "there" were those free kicks against Darcy in the bounce that lead to two Richmond goals?
I could sort of argue the first one was possibly there but that stuff happens in just about every ruck contest. The second one where it looked like Nankervis just jumped straight into him and really made no play at the ball was plain ridiculous..

They were both there. No malice in it, but he got Nankervis high both times.
First one was there second could have gone either way. Darcy’s feet were in the air and hands were up Nankervis took his legs out and the hands came down (natural instinct) across the shoulder. Could very easily been blocking on Nankervis
In last years derby the same thing happened. When Batting took his legs the free was over the shoulder. Very next ruck contest he went under Nattinui and the decision was blocking

it’s a raffle

First one was there second could have gone either way. Darcy’s feet were in the air and hands were up Nankervis took his legs out and the hands came down (natural instinct) across the shoulder. Could very easily been blocking on Nankervis
In last years derby the same thing happened. When Batting took his legs the free was over the shoulder. Very next ruck contest he went under Nattinui and the decision was blocking

it’s a raffle
I agree that blocking in a ruck contest is usually a raffle, 90% of the time even the rucks don't know who will get the free.

But when umpires see this they usually pay the free kick.

darcy 1.jpg

I agree that blocking in a ruck contest is usually a raffle, 90% of the time even the rucks don't know who will get the free.

But when umpires see this they usually pay the free kick.

View attachment 1194233
It’s baffling that Darcy is trying to tap the ball, whereas Nankervis is limiting him jumping. If there’s an expert, it’s Nankervis. Does this every game. Tries to block or negate the space to half the contest, because he can’t jump or knows he won’t win the taps. Ridiculous

I don't care what anyone thinks. The Green Meanie Jumpers are awesome. It was great to have the old song trotted out, as well as the anchor. Apart from it being very cold, it was a great night at the footy.

Random thoughts:
  • Brayshaw is a superstar
  • Cerra isn't far behind
  • Neither is Luke Ryan
  • Young, Serrong and Henry are all going to be good.
  • Western and Walker have potential
  • I hope Bailey Banfeild is OK (although he was walking around after the game)
  • Sean Darcy is continuing to improve
  • Griffin Logue is becoming solidly consistent
  • Even though he's like a box of chocolates (you never know what you're going to get) - Tabs is great! - congrats on hitting the Ton.
Liked your summary - the only thing I would amend is that Sean Darcy should be added to bullet point 1. I think he has already had more of an impact on the comp in his position than Brayshaw. I have him at No. 4 ruck minimum, which would mean Brayshaw would have to be in the top 16 midfielders in the comp. Wouldn't have him quite there yet, although last night was a major step towards him displacing someone in that cohort.

I guess it was meant to be that Freo's tribute to 1995 epitomised everything about the club over the journey, because there was more than a little nostalgia on show.

'Twas a cold, cloudy winters day when you could feel the wind rattle through the half-empty stands but the noise and passion of the diehards was on full display. Just like the late 90s.

The passage of play in the third quarter where Freo did about 12 handballs to each other in a 20 metre radius was clearly our tribute to the early Neesham game style. Just like 1995.

You had moments of extreme brilliance mixed with moments of extreme horror. Just like...well, all but about 5 of the last 26 years!

And trust Matt Taberner, the Clive Waterhouse of the modern era, to be the epitome of Dockery in his 100th match. We couldn't have won it without him, and for better or worse he will always be our Tabs, capable of the stunning and the dumb simultaneously.

That aside, it really did feel like the turning of another page in the club's history yesterday. Obviously Mundy is still there, and Fyfe and Walters still have a big role to play, but at last the younger generation won the game off their own efforts - which isn't really something I've been able to say convincingly before.

• Darcy is an excellent first ruck now, without question. Meek still has a little work to do, but is actually a decent foil for big Sean;
  • Brayshaw immense, particularly at the end where he was charging into stoppages a la Peter Bell at his kamikaze best;
  • Cerra seemed to turn into Garrick Ibbotson in that jumper, with the enormous hesitation whenever he marked it - for all that, he put himself on the line when it was there to be won;
  • although Luke Ryan was indeed blindly bombing it towards the end, which is a bad habit of his, he still gets a pass because he saved our bacon innumerable times there;
  • very impressed with Hayden Young, who just got better and better the longer the game went with intercept marks and lethal kicks to solid positions;
  • Schultz tries his heart out at all times, just like a true Docker should - he doesn't always make an impact, but he and Switta both have the goods in their different ways and should stay as our main small forwards for the time being;
  • and even the likes of Henry and Treacy had relatively quiet games but still managed to have a helpful influence late.
Was it enough to suggest we will play finals? Probably not, even in those conditions, but it was so heartening to see the power of the anchor starting to flicker into life once more, whatever happens...

How is Bailey Banfield? That concussion looked pretty nasty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is Bailey Banfield? That concussion looked pretty nasty.
He was walking around on the ground after the game, so he can't have been too bad. I'll be he has a headache today though.

Whatever you think of his footballing abilities - He's a tough one.

It’s baffling that Darcy is trying to tap the ball, whereas Nankervis is limiting him jumping. If there’s an expert, it’s Nankervis. Does this every game. Tries to block or negate the space to half the contest, because he can’t jump or knows he won’t win the taps. Ridiculous

Yeah, in the first one at least, Nankervis blatantly runs past the ball to block Darcy and then turns back to where the ball is.

This seems to happen to Darcy a lot and he never gets the free for blocking. Instead they always ping him for the contact he makes while trying to get to the ball while being blocked. It pisses me off.

With the elephant in the room the goal kicking.

Does the team ever train at optus or always at Cockburn.

And should we be asking the ground about the possibility of training there at least once a month especially to practice goal kicking at the actual ground. In 41 games we have kicked 414.440.

This year alone we have kicked 91.122.

We haven't learnt how to kick straight at our home ground. Like surely the more practice we get there the better we should get. Its alright practicing at Cockburn but if you dont have the familiarity of the stands and even getting used to wind conditions inside the stadium.

Should be number 1 priority in the off season getting numerous sessions there practicing goal kicking with the squad

And should we be asking the ground about the possibility of training there at least once a month especially to practice goal kicking at the actual ground. In 41 games we have kicked 414.440.

We haven't learnt how to kick straight at our home ground. Like surely the more practice we get there the better we should get. Its alright practicing at Cockburn but if you dont have the familiarity of the stands and even getting used to wind conditions inside the stadium.

Should be number 1 priority in the off season getting numerous sessions there practicing goal kicking with the squad
If every aspect of our game stayed the same except that we reversed our scoring, we'd play finals easily. We're our own worst enemy.

they at least used to train at optus fairly regularly based on social media photos, don't think they've done it much this year though... could have changed after JL took over

they at least used to train at optus fairly regularly based on social media photos, don't think they've done it much this year though... could have changed after JL took over

Well hopefully it changes next year. I am sure JL has tried to address it. But yeah you would think 4 years in our players would have familiarity with kicking at goal at the ground.

West coast have kicked the same amount of behinds but have kicked 200 more goals so there is a big discrepancy there.

I think the real elephant in the room is how we seem to have fair few of these inspirational, out of the blue team lifting wins when one N. Fyfe is out of action.
The rest of the team simply rising the occasion or something more? :think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back