Freekick Port...Or Lack Of

Who Is Responsible For Our Current Officialdom Issues?

• Bad or Biased Umpiring

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • The League Officials

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Our Discipline

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Our Team Playing For Freekicks But Get Ignored

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Our Brown Paper Bag Is Not As Big Versus The Other Clubs

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Poor Coaching And Strategy

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Jack Watts Hair Cut

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone that says "It wouldn't happen/It can't happen/umpires have too much integrity" or whatever, I point them to the SANFL stats.

If one competition can tip the balance one way for no financial gain, so too can the other, especially one with more resources and much more to gain financially.
I still remember K.Cornes saying we did not get a response when the club sought clarification for 38-15 v North.

I do think the free kick count wasn’t that far off though, we gave away so many stupid frees.

There were a handful that were bullshit though, and Freo players simply weren’t getting penalised at all.

do people literally think that there is a directive from Gill to the umpires saying "Hey guys, make sure port dont win this week, cheers'?

Of course thank goodness that Brisbane upset the AFL dictators during the 2004 finals series and that meant that Port wasn't copping a reaming during the grand final on that day.
Yeah probably the only reason we got a fair run that day, everybody, afl & umps included, were a bit sick of Brisbane winning it every year. 4 in a row would have made their concessions look a tad generous.
I noticed we got a few home town calls vs brissy rd 1 2018 I think. Fond memories.

do people literally think that there is a directive from Gill to the umpires saying "Hey guys, make sure port dont win this week, cheers'?
Yes. But only one dirty ump is required. In 2 or 3 key games a season.
I think there are deals and handshakes going on in the echelons of power that we as peasants have no idea about. if you were cynical you might say the afl want the eagles in the finals, looking at their free kick count. You would also say the afl appears very very keen to ensure the success of the new wa stadium.
You could also say the afl are keen Brownlow faves aren't out of contention early, regardless who they elbow in the head.
I also understand the umpires academy is based in Melbourne, permanently, most of the umps went to the same private school and most were invited to hodgesy birthday, cause they are old school chums.
I also understand the afl CEOs bonus hinges on certain attendance levels and tv ratings being met.

The way Walters was looked after on the weekend was really weird.

I’d call it match fixing, but it’s more like fixing it so he could kick multiple goals or some ****.

Extremely suss either way. Maybe one of the umpires had him as their dreamteam captain?
In fairness, a smarter coach tags such players

The umpires can have bad games.Be intimidated by vocal home crowds.But can't help but think the AFL does have an agenda. They want certain teams in the finals.
Umpires also have favourite players.That they will look after.G Abblett comes to mind,Walters is another favourite ATM.
Its quiet common in Soccer.For a big club to get a 50\50 over a smaller club.Does anyone remember Howard Webb+ Manchester United.

Last edited:
The umpires can have bad games.Be intimidated by vocal home crowds.But can't help but think the AFL does have an agenda. They want certain teams in the finals.
Its quiet common in Soccer.For a big club to get a 50\50 over a smaller club.Does anyone remember Howard Webb+ Manchester United.
Yes. You are right, I have sympathy for the umps, it is a difficult game to umpire and I have seen umps get sucked in by the home crowd (most wc & crows games) and seen them turn on a hostile crowd (against Collingwood vs us a few seasons ago) but yeah, there is an overwhelming sense that the game is rigged. The feeling is supported by stats too. And the idea that 'this sort of thing couldn't possibly happen in good old Aussie' is a bit naive. It's happened elsewhere in pro sports. I am sure there are all sorts of match fixing allegations that the afl has swept under the rug.

No. It's more a case of what are the AFL doing to fix this. Cos for a long time it's been nothing
That's the same AFL that changed the ruck rules because Primus was dominating. The "Primus Rule", or more correctly the "anti-Primus Rule" was only recently repealed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have three observations re umpiring

1. the clubs ( by whatever means ) that are more vocal about poor umpiring decisions tend to get looked after.
2. the crowds who whinge and moan in unison (eg wet toast and the tingles) intimidate the scumps.
3. since Moses played full back for Jerusalem the scumps have given the majority of 50/50's to the team that gets a run on in the 2nd half of games, particularly if it's the home team.

It's already fixed.
Like I said if you think the AFL is "fixed" and results are pre determined then you'd be better off spending your time watching wrestling.

Look, if any of your theories about corruption are correct, i find it extremely hard to believe it. Imagine the shitstorm that would occur if any of it was true and imagine all the awards and accolades the journo who broke the story would receive. Surely it would be broken by now.

There are a number of reasons why there are incorrect decisions made, umpires may like have a better relationship with certain players more than another, supported a team growing up, another player (Lindsey Thomas for example) may have a bad reputation that results in umpires not giving free kicks when they are there as they think they may be diving. Also the 'noise of affirmation' that richo likes to talk about.

All of these reasons are more subconscious factors that would play on an umpires mind during a 50/50 call. I do not believe they go out to look after one team or another, but happens somewhat unknowingly given factors at play.

There are also times where an umpire knows they stuffed up, have confidence issues and make further mistakes.

Another reason is there are dumb crowds that call for everything when its clearly not there. We are guilty of this. Amount of times our players blatantly go high and our crowd screams like its the biggest injustice that the opposition got a free kick is embarrassing. When a free is actually there and we yell for it, they will obviously take it less seriously/ think 'here they go again yelling for nothing'.

These are issues in every league around the world and just a factor in any sport.

The fact people are yelling about corruptions, bribery being rampant in our game is full on nuff.

No, but I do think the AFL contrives to achieve results which benefit them, which is different.

The weekly focus on a particular rule, the constant changing of interpretations of rules, the favouring of particular 'marquee' players, the demonising of other players, the favouring of high drawing sides, the 'nothing to see here' approach to any games that have unusual free kick stats, the fines applied to anyone commenting on umpires, the lock down on media commentary on umpiring, the farcical consistency of the 'these decisions were correct' umpire reviews, the allowance of ex-players to umpire their ex-club's games, etc

All these things point to an organisation that is looking to contrive results.

It's also not really a conspiracy, it's just business. That's what businesses do; tip things in their favour to maximise revenue.

I have no doubt there is a direct correlation between the way teams are treated by the umpires and the way each club deals with it. Port Adelaide, by dealing with it "in house" or "privately" don't cause enough controversy and the necessary level of scrutiny is avoided.

You reckon if Collingwood, Geelong, or Hawthorn were on the end of fee kick differentials like ours they'd say nothing? Chris Scott would address it immediately in the after-match presser, Clarkson would also address it post-match, then call Gil and make sure every media outlet knew the cafe they were meeting at for coffee and Bucks wouldn't need to directly address it, because Eddie.

At Port, silence. Hinkley refused to even consider blaming umpires for the Dixon affair and instead blamed Dixon! We're told KT doesn't make phone calls. Chris Davies may follow it up, but who is Chris Davies and as for Koch, well we are just a little, blue collar, suburban footy club happy enough that the big boys let us make up the numbers.

You get what you deserve.

Clarkson went and had coffee with the umpiring boss. He was proactive and surprise, surprise, his team plays proactive football. Our coach is reactive and we play reactive football, which is why we only beat teams where the talent gap is large enough in our favour.

That reminds me, Goodes actually got off a dangerous tackle charge when he concussed Matt Thomas, because the SCG centre square was ‘unusually hard’ or similar.

View attachment 694034

The same Matt Thomas who a month to the day would get rubbed out for a week for being shoved into the umpire by Brad Sewell.

Haha.
That incident and that bullshit defence is when I started disliking Goodes. Then the slides into the ball feet first started and he finally got a match for smashing into Surjan in early 2012, even after the Lindsay Thomas into Gary Rohan slide saw a rule change.

The way Walters was looked after on the weekend was really weird.

I’d call it match fixing, but it’s more like fixing it so he could kick multiple goals or some ****.

Extremely suss either way. Maybe one of the umpires had him as their dreamteam captain?
I felt hogan was worse, he was diving about all over the place and got a couple of bizzare soft frees. Meanwhile up the other end...

That incident and that ******** defence is when I started disliking Goodes. Then the slides into the ball feet first started and he finally got a match for smashing into Surjan in early 2012, even after the Lindsay Thomas into Gary Rohan slide saw a rule change.

Then there was the one in 2014 (I think) at the SCG where he was pretty quiet in the first half. A ball came into their HFF and Goodes was about 5 metres off the contest. He pushed his opponent into the contest. I can’t think who it was - maybe Jasper. Our player went face first into a contested marking situation and could’ve been a pretty nasty outcome.

The ball spills out and who is there? Goodes, who runs in and kicks his 1st.

Eddie does this as well but with nowhere near the force that happened on this occasion.

Terry Wallace on SEN earlier this arvo talked about the Free Kicks issue at Perth Stadium and I put this in the game review thread but it fits here. I've added the break per game to my prior post.

He said he usually doesn't talk about umpires effecting the game and say they have caused a change to the result, but he said he has received a few tweets from Port supporters and said that he decided to look up the stats.

At 4 Perth Stadium games Port have played there the last 2 year, the free kick count is Port 56 vs 2 WA teams 108. He conceded that that is a pattern that make fans frustrated. He didn't know what the answer is but he conceded it is an issue. Compare that to the silence from our coach, football manager and club in general!

The figures are as follows with Frees to Port first

WCE
2019 Port win by 42 pts. 14-23 (9)
2018 WCE win by 42 pts 13-30 (17)
Total............................ 27-53 (26)

Freo
2019 Freo win by 21 pts 15-32 (17)
2018 Freo win by 9 pts.. 14-23 (13)
Total........................... 29-55 (26)

Total 56-108 (52)

Back