Club Focus Fremantle 2020 - Chapman, O'Driscoll, Walker, Western

AFL Club Focus

What do Freo need most from the 2020 off-season?

• Recruiting via the draft

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Recruiting via trade

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Re-signing existing talent

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a Fremantle-specific version of the player contracts & statistics spreadsheet pinned to the top of this forum. It summarises your players' contract situations, experience, ages and heights. The data is from footywire, and the spreadsheet will update itself when footywire is updated. It may contain some errors, I do not have the ability to update them so we just have to deal with what footywire gives us. It's the best we can do for the moment.

According to this data, Fremantle are:
- 9th tallest, averaging 188.1cm
- 3rd heaviest, averaging 87.5kg
- 14th oldest with an average age of 24 years
- 12th most experienced, averaging 64.2 career games

Your picks in the first five rounds of the 2019 national draft are:
1st round pick (tied to Fremantle - currently pick 11)
2nd round pick (tied to Fremantle - currently pick 29)
5th round pick (tied to Fremantle - currently pick 83)

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Who retires, who is traded, and who is re-signed?

What do you see as the gaps in the list? How could those gaps be filled? Via trade or from the draft?

What will it take to get it all done, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

exxcessivve

All Australian
Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Essendon, Geelong, GWS, Port
Sandilands, Ballantyne, and Bennell retire.
Hill traded to GC or retires.
Langdon traded to Melbourne :'(
Shane Kersten and Ryan Nyhuis delisted.
Dunno anything about Tobe Watson.
Brennan Cox and Brad Hill potential trade.

Rumoured targets:
Jack Martin
Stephen Coniglio
Tim Kelly
Shai Bolton

Dede

Senior List
May 10, 2019
Sandy
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ross needs results I full expect them to go after Kelly.. what do they do with cerra ?
Imo the youth is not quite good enough they need one more hit at the draft hard two picks under 15 would be perfect

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Honestly would be fine with trading Langdon, guy has forgotten how to kick a footy this season and has coast us some crucial goals this year, been pretty down in general

1% chance of Cogs. Maybe 10% on Martin.

Wonder whether the $$$ potentially opening up with the unknowns around B Hill, S Hill, Landon as well as the pending retirements of Ballas, Sandi and Harley might change this?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Sandilands, Ballantyne, and Bennell retire.
Hill traded to GC or retires.
Langdon traded to Melbourne :'(
Shane Kersten and Ryan Nyhuis delisted.
Dunno anything about Tobe Watson.
Brennan Cox and Brad Hill potential trade.

Rumoured targets:
Jack Martin
Stephen Coniglio
Tim Kelly
Shai Bolton
Couple of opinions in response;
  • SHill won't retire, and will certainly be offered another contract. He may be lured with a big "last" contract, but I doubt it.
  • Can't see why Nyhuis would be delisted. One of our perennial issues has been depth and he is good depth, and we don't need the list spot.
  • Watson is worth another year.
  • I can't see us putting too much work into getting Martin. If he wants to come, fine.
  • Kelly for BHill still looks like the best/most likely trade suggestion on bf. I am tipping Kelly stays at Geelong and BHill stays at Freo.
  • Bolton, maybe. I think we have similar players coming through our NGA, and expect Henry to play early. We already have too many smalls on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe I'm in the minority but I think their list is OK. Only real out is going to be Mundy when he eventually retires. Sandilands and Ballantyne have played 1 game each all year. Could always use more quality midfielders but that's the same for every team.

Best thing to happen to Freo this off season would be for Carlton or North to poach Ross Lyon so they get some fresh ideas without looking like they've moved him on.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe I'm in the minority but I think their list is OK. Only real out is going to be Mundy when he eventually retires. Sandilands and Ballantyne have played 1 game each all year. Could always use more quality midfielders but that's the same for every team.

Best thing to happen to Freo this off season would be for Carlton or North to poach Ross Lyon so they get some fresh ideas without looking like they've moved him on.
Our midfield is thin as. We look ordinary or worse when Mundy doesn't play well. Our young mids aren't ready and we don't really know how good they are going to be. Also, Hogan has a fair way to go.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Hogan is only 24 and keeps getting injured. Josh Kennedy kicked 31, 41, 59 goals the years he turned 22, 23 and 24. Hogan already had 3 x 40+ by 23 before joining Freo and the one season he didn't he still kicked 2 goals a game for the half a season he did play. 2019 has been pretty disappointing from him but he's got talent.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hogan is only 24 and keeps getting injured. Josh Kennedy kicked 31, 41, 59 goals the years he turned 22, 23 and 24. Hogan already had 3 x 40+ by 23 before joining Freo and the one season he didn't he still kicked 2 goals a game for the half a season he did play. 2019 has been pretty disappointing from him but he's got talent.
No question, but he has obstacles (most notably the foot) that make me very nervous about him long term.

Their quality mids are either young or aging, they may look for a contested stop-gap type until the likes of Brayshaw and Cerra can shoulder more of the load.

exxcessivve

All Australian
Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Essendon, Geelong, GWS, Port
  • Can't see why Nyhuis would be delisted. One of our perennial issues has been depth and he is good depth, and we don't need the list spot.

I like Nyhuis. I will remember his five-goal debut playing as a forward after playing as a defender previously for a long time. I just thought he might get delisted due to him getting dropped pretty often and having been on the list for a while without securing a spot.

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
How good a player is Sean Darcy. Any chance he'd be a makeweight for Tim Kelly?

Geelong need a ruckmen and like there local lads. He seems to win hit outs but I really haven't seen enough of him to cast any sort of judgment on his value. Or is his a key part of the Dockers future?

Back