Club Focus Fremantle 2020 - Chapman, O'Driscoll, Walker, Western

AFL Club Focus

What do Freo need most from the 2020 off-season?

• Recruiting via the draft

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Recruiting via trade

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Re-signing existing talent

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
How good a player is Sean Darcy. Any chance he'd be a makeweight for Tim Kelly?

Geelong need a ruckmen and like there local lads. He seems to win hit outs but I really haven't seen enough of him to cast any sort of judgment on his value. Or is his a key part of the Dockers future?

Its a hard one as we clearly need him as part of our future and is probably in a bigger position of need to us then Kelly. (obviously i am not saying he is more valuable then Kelly).

Our ruck stocks are:
Darcy - young and developing
Lobb - more valuable to us as a 2nd ruck / forward
Meek - yet to play a game
Jones - about to be delisted
Sandilands - about to retire

He's signed until the end of 2022 i believe which i know really means little now.

With Tim English now signed long term with the Bulldogs we don't have the option of loading him up with cash as a replacement, so unless we have someone else in mind as a medium term ruck option via trade period of FA i don't see him being included.

Upon review, the cupboard is pretty bare as far as semi-decent stop gap ruckman in this years pool of uncontracted players which makes it even less likely.

That OP needs updating with Bennell delisted and Logue (3 years) and McCarthy (1 year) re-signed.
I assume Freo will be farewelling Sandi Ballantyne and Kersten at a minimum.
Do Freo fans think Langdon is definitely going?
I am surprised Blakely hasn't signed yet but you would assume a local best 22 kid like him does.

To me I think their list has gaps but it's not terrible, they probably need a better gameplan more than anything because when I watch them Lyon's gameplan doesn't seem to be clearly defined or effective.
The key position stocks are ok Pearce and Hamling are very good and Logue seems to be developing very well, Hogan and Lobb are blue chip and Taberner is a decent workhorse (the only worry would be all three are injury prone).
I have a lot more time for players like Brayshaw and Cerra than most people seem to have on BF, they could probably use another couple of mature mids though to take the load off Fyfe while those guys develop and a decent winger (not Colyer who is crap) if Langdon goes.

Will be interesting to see how heavily and aggressively they target Kelly this year they certainly have the $ in the cap and the picks to do it. For example a top 10 pick and Darcy is probably going to interest Geelong more for TK than anything WCE can come up with. It'd be a risk in the sense Lobb says he wants to play forward Sandi is basically done and Jones and Meek are average. That said a lot of clubs have decent reserve rucks that are poachable thesedays, would they try and push Darcy to Geelong and bring another ruck in from somewhere else if it means getting an AA level player like Kelly? It'd be ballsy and risky but might be the right call.
The other addendum to that is if the reported issue is still that Kelly's partner doesn't get on with the Hills do they try and push Brad out if that gets Kelly to nominate Freo? I wouldn't if it was me but if they think Hill is going in a year or two anyway they might. B Hill and a swap of late picks for Kelly isn't out of the question.
Obviously there's guys like Coniglio and Martin that could be targeted with enough $ although I think the former will stay where he is.

I would assume they are hoping they can sneak their R1 in before an academy bid on Henry (if they don't trade that pick for Kelly) and then try and accumulate some 40-60 picks somewhere to match a late R1 bid (if that's where it comes).

Who else would Freo fans really like to target to bring in?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
That OP needs updating with Bennell delisted and Logue (3 years) and McCarthy (1 year) re-signed.
I am surprised Blakely hasn't signed yet but you would assume a local best 22 kid like him does.

To me I think their list has gaps but it's not terrible, they probably need a better gameplan more than anything because when I watch them Lyon's gameplan doesn't seem to be clearly defined or effective.
The key position stocks are ok Pearce and Hamling are very good and Logue seems to be developing very well, Hogan and Lobb are blue chip and Taberner is a decent workhorse (the only worry would be all three are injury prone).
I have a lot more time for players like Brayshaw and Cerra than most people seem to have on BF, they could probably use another couple of mature mids though to take the load off Fyfe while those guys develop and a decent winger (not Colyer who is crap) if Langdon goes.

Will be interesting to see how heavily and aggressively they target Kelly this year they certainly have the $ in the cap and the picks to do it. For example a top 10 pick and Darcy is probably going to interest Geelong more for TK than anything WCE can come up with. It'd be a risk in the sense Lobb says he wants to play forward Sandi is basically done and Jones and Meek are average. That said a lot of clubs have decent reserve rucks that are poachable thesedays, would they try and push Darcy to Geelong and bring another ruck in from somewhere else if it means getting an AA level player like Kelly? It'd be ballsy and risky but might be the right call.
The other addendum to that is if the reported issue is still that Kelly's partner doesn't get on with the Hills do they try and push Brad out if that gets Kelly to nominate Freo? I wouldn't if it was me but if they think Hill is going in a year or two anyway they might. B Hill and a swap of late picks for Kelly isn't out of the question.
Obviously there's guys like Coniglio and Martin that could be targeted with enough $ although I think the former will stay where he is.

I would assume they are hoping they can sneak their R1 in before an academy bid on Henry (if they don't trade that pick for Kelly) and then try and accumulate some 40-60 picks somewhere to match a late R1 bid (if that's where it comes).

I think our top 15 players are good, but our bottom 15 are poor.

We rely on getting our best 22 on the park, because the quality drops away very quickly.

Yes we several injury prone players which is an issue.

Langdon looks gone, but he signed late last time as well.

I think the issue for us getting Kelly is we can't afford to give up multiple picks or a player plus pick as we have 7 plus spots to fill on our list.

I expect us to chase a few free agents to fill some gaps in our list, especially the midfield and pace in the forward half.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

Pretty good assessment.

Sean Darcy won’t be traded unless if he wants to. Our ruck stocks are low.

Sandi retiring

Mr Fonebone

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Ham
Assuming Bhill and Langdon are put the door:
Trade the former to Saints for pick 6 and the latter to anyone for early 2nd rounder.
Forget Kelly. Wants to go to Eagles.
Take picks 6,11 and 2 2nd rounders to draft.
Pick up Wa boys Jackson, Robertson and Henry.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Hey folks

Over the past 12 months I've become more and more interested in the list analysis side of the game, list balances etc. thanks largely to the John and Sean from Lystics AFL in particular around the contract time when calls are made to re-sign, trade or de-list.

If you are at all interested or intrigued by list management I suggest you give these guys a listen. I listen via Apple Podcast app but I'm sure it could be found on other devices also.

As always I'm very appreciative and open to feedback, whether positive or critical and love to engage in conversation about it. Hope you enjoy

For the Dockers after the recent announcements from Sandilands and Ballantyne I've got the following players as still out of contract, if any info is wrong or out dated feel free to pull me up on it.

RE-SIGN: Hughes, Tucker, North, Meek, Nyhuis, Watson, Mundy

Keep the talented, youth that still seem happy at the club on board. Makes sense

That list of 7 can range from longer term deals for the likes of Tucker, Hughes and North (need to hold him even though he is un-proven)

Mundy to continue with one year rolling deals for as long as he wishes.

Gone with Meek to re-sign ahead of Jones. Got some extra years on his side and he can still develop behind Lobb, Darcy and maybe someone like Jeremy Goddard for the sake of insurance policy OR using Lobb forward more than ruck.

Nyhuis and Watson are role players who would be playing for their careers in 2020. Nyhuis maybe even a de-list chance in 2019.

TRADE: B. Hill, Langdon, S. Hill (RFA), Jones

I'll elaborate on Jones first. If you can get anything for him, take it and run. Their are at least two clubs that come to my mind when thinking of mature rucks that could offer the Dockers a later pick for Jones.

Brad Hill, obviously still a contracted player until 2021 so the cards are in Fremantle's hand. If they can get a club to pay "overs" for him while contracted than do it. Gut feel is that he will end up in Victoria eventually which is unfortunate but don't fight it to hard while you can tell he and his partner want to return.

Langdon, similar to Hill except un-contracted. Let the VIC teams know he is reachable for the right price. Teams like Melbourne, North and St. Kilda for example are in a great list position to get him in

Stephen Hill, see what he gets. I know a while back there was talk about a large offer from the Suns on the table which in terms of length was probably better than he will get at Freo too. Take the compo pick you can get for him and you can use it on a more mature state league player if needed.

DE-LIST: Sandilands, Ballantyne, Kersten, O'Rielly

Three of these have already made their mind up and are out the door it seems with Kersten likely to get de-listed even before the below up a few weeks back.

O'Rielly is unlucky but the facts are he just isn't ready yet. Better to allow him to go back to East Freo or another club for more opportunity than get stuck behind the likes of Dixon, Cox and McCarthy to name a few at Peel.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hey folks

Over the past 12 months I've become more and more interested in the list analysis side of the game, list balances etc. thanks largely to the John and Sean from Lystics AFL in particular around the contract time when calls are made to re-sign, trade or de-list.

If you are at all interested or intrigued by list management I suggest you give these guys a listen. I listen via Apple Podcast app but I'm sure it could be found on other devices also.

As always I'm very appreciative and open to feedback, whether positive or critical and love to engage in conversation about it. Hope you enjoy

For the Dockers after the recent announcements from Sandilands and Ballantyne I've got the following players as still out of contract, if any info is wrong or out dated feel free to pull me up on it.

RE-SIGN: Hughes, Tucker, North, Meek, Nyhuis, Watson, Mundy

Keep the talented, youth that still seem happy at the club on board. Makes sense

That list of 7 can range from longer term deals for the likes of Tucker, Hughes and North (need to hold him even though he is un-proven)

Mundy to continue with one year rolling deals for as long as he wishes.

Gone with Meek to re-sign ahead of Jones. Got some extra years on his side and he can still develop behind Lobb, Darcy and maybe someone like Jeremy Goddard for the sake of insurance policy OR using Lobb forward more than ruck.

Nyhuis and Watson are role players who would be playing for their careers in 2020. Nyhuis maybe even a de-list chance in 2019.

TRADE: B. Hill, Langdon, S. Hill (RFA), Jones

I'll elaborate on Jones first. If you can get anything for him, take it and run. Their are at least two clubs that come to my mind when thinking of mature rucks that could offer the Dockers a later pick for Jones.

Brad Hill, obviously still a contracted player until 2021 so the cards are in Fremantle's hand. If they can get a club to pay "overs" for him while contracted than do it. Gut feel is that he will end up in Victoria eventually which is unfortunate but don't fight it to hard while you can tell he and his partner want to return.

Langdon, similar to Hill except un-contracted. Let the VIC teams know he is reachable for the right price. Teams like Melbourne, North and St. Kilda for example are in a great list position to get him in

Stephen Hill, see what he gets. I know a while back there was talk about a large offer from the Suns on the table which in terms of length was probably better than he will get at Freo too. Take the compo pick you can get for him and you can use it on a more mature state league player if needed.

DE-LIST: Sandilands, Ballantyne, Kersten, O'Rielly

Three of these have already made their mind up and are out the door it seems with Kersten likely to get de-listed even before the below up a few weeks back.

O'Rielly is unlucky but the facts are he just isn't ready yet. Better to allow him to go back to East Freo or another club for more opportunity than get stuck behind the likes of Dixon, Cox and McCarthy to name a few at Peel.
Not miles off.

North is gone. Never even been an emergency and his stats have regressed this year if anything. Nyhuis looks gone as well.

Jones wouldn't fetch a 5th rounder.

Langdon will go if he wants to, absolutely nothing we can do to stop him and we'll get unders.

Doubt O'Reilly gets delisted. He wasn't tearing up the WAFL when we took him so I suspect we know he is a slow burn. That said, it wouldn't completely surprise me if he did get chopped.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Will the uncertainty with Lyon have much of an influence on players deciding to come to Fremantle?

Lyon is a huge chance to be gone before 2021 starts but unless something develops once the season ends (and imo it probably won't) any player coming will have to expect to start training under Lyon but have a change in coach and gameplan within 12 months.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Will the uncertainty with Lyon have much of an influence on players deciding to come to Fremantle?

Lyon is a huge chance to be gone before 2021 starts but unless something develops once the season ends (and imo it probably won't) any player coming will have to expect to start training under Lyon but have a change in coach and gameplan within 12 months.

Ok this didn't age too well 😃, at least any trade prospects will know who they will be playing under when they're considering whether or not to move to Freo.

AFL website has an article about players who are still out-of-contract as of this morning. Links are to player threads if we have one for 2019.

Out of contract: Stephen Hill, Scott Jones, Ed Langdon, Lloyd Meek, Ryan Nyhuis, Darcy Tucker, Tobe Watson

"There is significant change ahead for the Dockers in the post-Ross Lyon era. Aaron Sandilands, Hayden Ballantyne, Shane Kersten and Harley Bennell have all retired or parted ways with Fremantle. Langdonand contracted winger Brad Hill also seem headed for Victorian clubs in this year's NAB AFL Trade Period, and there continues to be noise about Sean Darcy. Hill's older brother Stephen is a free agent but is open to staying at Fremantle for the right offer. Mid-season draftee Dillon O'Reilly will continue after agreeing to another year, but it's unclear what will eventuate with Jones, Meek, Nyhuis, Tucker and Watson."

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
I don't understand why Nyhuis was always on the s**t list, he seemed to be a genuine lock down defender.
Same, especially with no coach. I would have thought you might tell him he's on the outer so explore your opportunities but still wait to make the call officially until you have a coach and know the trades.

He is contracted for another season and probably won’t be going anywhere, but what do Fremantle fans think of Hugh Dixon’s trade value? If Hawthorn offered a 2020 3rd round pick for example would the Dockers do that trade?

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
He is contracted for another season and probably won’t be going anywhere, but what do Fremantle fans think of Hugh Dixon’s trade value? If Hawthorn offered a 2020 3rd round pick for example would the Dockers do that trade?
no thanks.
I believe he is rated highly, internally.
Others with cache such as Cox could be looked at for the right price IMO

Back