Injury Fremantle 2020 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty disappointing that you have doubled down instead of admitting that you got this one wrong. You don’t have to agree with everything I post. I happen to have a lot of respect for your opinions on here even if I don’t always agree with them. I have strong opinions on the injury management issue that are shared pretty widely with many other fans as it happens. Maybe I’m a bit harsh with some posts but it’s comes from the frustration of seeing so many of our better players sitting out for months, even years on end in some cases.
I have no idea what your mystery powers as a moderator are. You seem to now be indicating that the IP address I post from (my phone I got about 8 months ago) is somehow identical to a random poster called dockeroo from Collingwood who has 27,000 posts? Come on Taylor. Please.

My advice would be to stop falsely accusing me of being a troll and just accept you got this one wrong. I’m just another passionate dockers fan who has a difference of opinion with you about about our injury management but probably has similar views on just about everything else at the club.
I know when I am accused of being a troll by a mod I always write 1000 word rebuttals and post variants of it multiple times, so much more effective than just reporting the mod.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let's talk injury crisis rather than trolls. Trolls can be ignored.

What's this I'm hearing about Hamling stepping away from the club and approaching the bullies medical team for advice on his injury?
Surely just a rumour? Very bad look for us if it’s true. Ironically the bullies could do with him now actually as they haven’t got a decent key defender on their list at all
I just hope that there are no issues with Hayden Young’s surgery. A botched rehab for him might make him think twice about signing on beyond his initial contract and THAT would be disastrous.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
13/07/2020
Forward Sam Sturt will miss at least two weeks with the ankle injury sustained in training last Thursday on the Gold Coast.
Sam Sturt (ankle) - 2-3 weeks

21/07/2020
Hogan and Sam Sturt remain a slight chance to return alongside Fyfe in round nine, with both forwards expected to miss one to two more weeks.
“Sam’s got on the field today. He had quite a solid ankle injury up on the Gold Coast. He’s back on his feet and we’re getting him going.”
Sam Sturt (ankle) – 1-2 weeks

29/07/2020
“Sam’s probably gone a little bit slower than we hoped with his ankle. He had damage from a marking contest at the end of training a couple of weeks ago. He’s progressing along and we’re looking forward to seeing him in a few weeks.”
Sam Sturt (ankle) – 1-2 weeks

04/08/2020
No Comment
Sam Sturt (ankle) - TBA

12/08/2020
No Comment
Sam Sturt (ankle) – TBA

13/08/2020
Surgery

I have a different opinion than most on here in that I don’t think the club has some unwritten obligation to the media or fans to be entirely transparent when it comes to reporting on injuries. Do I want to know? Absolutely. But the TBAs don’t do my head in like most in here.

HOWEVER, the club does have an obligation to diagnose problems and injuries correctly. They have an obligation to find the best surgeons for a procedure. They do have a responsibility to get the players up and playing as quickly as possible. They do have an obligation to manage workloads that provide the best chance at recovery. From the outside, it appears they make too many missteps on these fronts. Where’s there’s smoke, there’s fire.

Last off-season was a huge change in the direction of a club. Hard to do a comprehensive review of all aspects of a footy club when your head coach and CEO are brand new. There’s only so much bandwidth Bell has to handle issues. Throw in the fact we’re still paying Ross and it’s even more complicated. If I were in charge I would have a hard time tossing the head coach, some assistant coaches, ceo, and the entire SandC team in a single offseason. That would only leave a bunch of secretaries, number crunchers, recruiters, and bell/Alcock.

I can’t point to a decision that Belly’s made that has been disastrous for the club. Things are trending up and Bell isn’t going to sit around idly and let this happen. Let’s give him a more stable off season and see what happens. We’ve been in a rebuild of not only the playing list but of our culture. We’ll come good. Things are trending up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surely just a rumour? Very bad look for us if it’s true. Ironically the bullies could do with him now actually as they haven’t got a decent key defender on their list at all
I just hope that there are no issues with Hayden Young’s surgery. A botched rehab for him might make him think twice about signing on beyond his initial contract and THAT would be disastrous.
Jeez the ole Context would be worth bringing into mix.

David Young is a well known and well regarded surgeon who is based in Melbourne and is used by many VIC clubs incl. WB. I for one am pleased he is seeing David Young because I know he is very good.

Similar thing happened years ago when Morabito had some complications and extended knee reco (first one from memory). When he reinjured it at training (second one) he was sent off to Julian Feller at the recommendation of Rosco.

These are best in the business. We have some very good surgeons here in Perth like Dr Peter D’Alessandro, Dr Reza Salleh, Mr Jeff Ecker etc.

If you’re having issues and need to get a second opinion best you get a good opinion.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jeez the ole Context would be worth bringing into mix.

David Young is a well known and well regarded surgeon who is based in Melbourne and is used by many VIC clubs incl. WB. I for one am pleased he is seeing David Young because I know he is very good.

Similar thing happened years ago when Morabito had some complications and extended knee reco (first one from memory). When he reinjured it at training (second one) he was sent off to Julian Feller at the recommendation of Rosco.

These are best in the business. We have some very good surgeons here in Perth like Dr Peter D’Alessandro, Dr Reza Salleh, Mr Jeff Ecker etc.

If you’re having issues and need to get a second opinion best you get a good opinion.

Why the hell aren't they getting sent to the best surgeon for the first opinion?

Confucius

Senior List
Jan 7, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why the hell aren't they getting sent to the best surgeon for the first opinion?

Because there is no such thing as "the best surgeon". There are good surgeons and there are some other good surgeons. Just like there is Fyfe and there is Dangerfield and there is Dusty.

Surgeon are humans. They all make plenty of mistakes. Sometimes a second opinion is a great idea. Sometimes it makes no difference.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Because there is no such thing as "the best surgeon". There are good surgeons and there are some other good surgeons. Just like there is Fyfe and there is Dangerfield and there is Dusty.

Surgeon are humans. They all make plenty of mistakes. Sometimes a second opinion is a great idea. Sometimes it makes no difference.
Summed up my point well. Nothing wrong with who we get to do the surgery. There are some older surgeon tho who are past their used by dates but that aside if s*#t happens and lets be honest it is pure s#*t luck that Hamling got a staph infection, and a second opinion Is required then might as well get one from a well regarded (esp. by other AFL clubs) Ortho Surgeon.

The issue with Hamling appears to be whether there was a delay in diagnosing an infection. From a GP perspective if this is in fact true it is unforgivable and will result in that club official goneski. Given the reported comments and frustrations from Hamling Re: the medical team I feel this is what has happened unfortunately. Probably complicated by the fact that players were in ISO for some of this time but it seems he had the issue occur on the GC.

With Sturt I agree with others that the communication was appalling. I had no issue with the TBA the first time it came up and expected an update later that week to say the club were getting him further medically assessed. But to then have two further weeks of TBA incl. one just two nights ago not to say anything about Sturtis very disappointing. Lift your game please.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Pretty ironic given the golden age of trolling occurred under his leadership. Trolling was at its highest on this board when posters like SA, Salim Malik, Banker, Bushie and DannyTheDoorman were posting their explosive material.

Truly the golden age as you say.

Bring back Clogged, I miss him.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty ironic given the golden age of trolling occurred under his leadership. Trolling was at its highest on this board when posters like SA, Salim Malik, Banker, Bushie and DannyTheDoorman were posting their explosive material.

You're calling me a troll, really.
Explosive material?
Dirty you're such a character, an unfunny clown , maybe even a troll.
Now there's some explosive material for you. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle

I,m flattered being put in the same category with those illustrious posters.
The legend that was Bushie, the escape artist that was Banker the master of the new identity.
And Danny is a friend and a great Fremantle supporter.
SA was just a naughty little boy.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
What's this I'm hearing about Hamling stepping away from the club and approaching the bullies medical team for advice on his injury?
Michael Prior was on ABC radio on Saturday. From what he said, it was more that Hamling needed a bit of a break from the COVID bubble after his infection. Joel was "released" so he could just hang out with friends and family for a while - rather than living as a semi prisoner in his own home.

Prior also said that Joel had been attending PSA and WAFL games with the scouting / recruiting team, to get a bit of extra post-playing experience. It didn't sound like Joel had left the club in disgust / frustration.

Let's talk injury crisis rather than trolls. Trolls can be ignored.

i think the bloke that he saw for a 2nd opinion in Melbourne does surgeries for a couple of Vic clubs, one of which happens to be the Dogs

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's honestly not surprising for the club to try conservative management first, and if that fails head down the surgical pathway.

It's the communication on the Sturt one that shits me.
Why? Surely it is not vital to you whether or not Sturt will or won't play this year. The club is under no obligation to anyone but themselves and the players when it comes to injury management. They tried a conservative approach which I am guessing why it was not given a set timeframe. When things did not start to improve as expected they then started to look at next year and probably went with the notion of getting the matter addressed by surgery now so that he has time for proper recovery and return to full pre-season training. Surely that is sensible notwithstanding the desperate need some have to know what date someone is coming off the injured list.

I am as frustrated as any other Freo supporter with our S&C's seeming ineptitude but the constant desire to know a precise date regarding someone's injury recovery is anything but precise just baffles me as does the fact that people are really bent out of shape by the
TBA or TBC... Clearly if they are listed thus its a more complex injury so needs to be looked at carefully and not have some artificial timeline attached to it.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
My source re Hamling has said there are two scenarios - wait 8-10 weeks and he may not require surgery. If he does require surgery he will only get it in October, would make him a tentative/unlikely start for round 1.

The former would see him back on track well before preseason.

Don't know any more ins and outs other than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back