Injury Fremantle 2020 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I know but... elite organisations take care of their personnel.
Lots of players see and speak to outside professionals, particularly psychologists, to help them through. Elite sportspeople climb all the mountains to make themselves the best they can be.

The question you might ask is why wouldn't the club have those people on full time and if you've ever asked yourself why a bad therapist can stay in business, it's because they aren't bad for everyone - they were bad for you and the same applies here.

We might need four or five head space coaches to work with all the different personality types at the organisation, including management

It makes for a nice change since it's usually the other way around, but it does show their propensity for throwing darts.
Well if they don't throw darts we all complain about the TBC, so I guess it's a no win for them. Unless they are psychic and can know exactly how each individual injury will respond to treatment.

Certainly not happy with their performance to date, but geez we are a pretty hard mob to please! :)

From Fyfe:

“It’s the first time in 10 years that I haven’t had access to the people I usually see (externally) so there’s some mental elements with that but likely we’ll be home in the next couple weeks and things can get back to normal.”

Why do our players have to look outside the club to keep themselves on the field?

I don’t think snake oil salesmen have a place in elite sporting clubs, especially those with a salary cap

I don’t think snake oil salesmen have a place in elite sporting clubs, especially those with a salary cap

Tell that to Tom Brady or LeBron James.

ALL of the best sportsman in this day and age utilize people external to their organisation. It's not unusual at all and in my view shows exactly why they are great by being willing to invest additional time, money and resources to get the assistance they perceive they need to perform at the optimal level.

Tell that to Tom Brady or LeBron James.

ALL of the best sportsman in this day and age utilize people external to their organisation. It's not unusual at all and in my view shows exactly why they are great by being willing to invest additional time, money and resources to get the assistance they perceive they need to perform at the optimal level.

Doesn’t it then stand to reason that if it’s what they need to perform at the optimum level, it could be useful for others on the list?

Doesn’t it then stand to reason that if it’s what they need to perform at the optimum level, it could be useful for others on the list?

Well yes, but there is also a "Football Department" hard cap that would make the more left field stuff less possible as a while club service.

If anything - I would say that it's because of their elite talents, skills, single-mindedness that they can utilize such questionable practices and believe they can elevate their games that extra 1-2% whether it be placebo or otherwise. If they believe it's adding something of value, then it is.

Not to mention that there are serious liability issues opened up effectively condoning medical or psychological treatments that haven't been approved or shown to be effective, should they be later shown to have caused serious harm to our athletes.
Good point.

He's more likely referring to Trudy who he does his reformer Pilates with and has worked with outside the club since his last injury (concussion aside). It'd be a hard stretch (heehee) to consider that snake oil. Obviously works for him as daily private yoga sessions did for Pavlich to get him to 350 games. I know it's not a dispensed pharmaceutical or a scalpel but I thought you medicos were bullish on stretching;).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's more likely referring to Trudy who he does his reformer Pilates with and has worked with outside the club since his last injury (concussion aside). It'd be a hard stretch (heehee) to consider that snake oil. Obviously works for him as daily private yoga sessions did for Pavlich to get him to 350 games. I know it's not a dispensed pharmaceutical or a scalpel but I thought you medicos were bullish on stretching;).
Was commenting more about the weekly multi-hour commute to the remote osteopath

Anyway the strongest medicine to harness can often be the placebo affect, so if it works it works - but you can’t expect it to be budgeted into a club with a cap

JL Q&A: The latest on Blakely, Acres and more

From the club's website, a handy update on a lot of fringe players. However, the Hamling update looks quite concerning.

Alex Pearce and Joel Hamling

Alex got some really good news with a scan the other day, so he will be able to progress his rehab which is great for him because he's had a number of setbacks. Joel is having a few complications with that ankle, so we are looking at different strategies to help free that ankle up and get some movement in it. The other thing we have to remember with Joel is that it was a really significant injury and not a normal ankle injury. We've just got to work through the best case scenario with him and he's in discussions with the doctors and medical staff to see what that looks like.

From the club's website, a handy update on a lot of fringe players. However, the Hamling update looks quite concerning.

Alex got some really good news with a scan the other day, so he will be able to progress his rehab which is great for him because he's had a number of setbacks. Joel is having a few complications with that ankle, so we are looking at different strategies to help free that ankle up and get some movement in it. The other thing we have to remember with Joel is that it was a really significant injury and not a normal ankle injury. We've just got to work through the best case scenario with him and he's in discussions with the doctors and medical staff to see what that looks like.
Translation - amputation

Vale Joel

INJURY LIST
Nat Fyfe (Hamstring) - Test
Brennan Cox (Hip) - Test
Travis Colyer (Migraine) - Test
Liam Henry (Knee) - Test
Jesse Hogan (Calf) - 2-3 weeks
Stefan Giro (Ankle) - 3-4 Weeks
Griffin Logue (Toe) - TBA
Reece Conca (Hamstring) - TBA
Joel Hamling (Ankle) - TBA
Alex Pearce (Ankle) - TBA
Sam Switkowski (Back) - TBA

- Logue 'wrenched his big toe joint', need to wait until the inflammation subsides to get scans to then be able to assess the damage to the joint. unlikely to play this week
- 'Soleus strain' for Hogan
- Conca's hamstring fairly minor
- Henry likely to play limited minutes in a scratch match on Friday

INJURY LIST
Nat Fyfe (Hamstring) - Test
Brennan Cox (Hip) - Test
Travis Colyer (Migraine) - Test
Liam Henry (Knee) - Test
Jesse Hogan (Calf) - 2-3 weeks
Stefan Giro (Ankle) - 3-4 Weeks
Griffin Logue (Toe) - TBA
Reece Conca (Hamstring) - TBA