Injury Fremantle 2020 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re on the improve. We’ll get more of this right in the future.

I doubt we’ll ever have a S & C person in charge of our medical/injury/rehab again.

Last edited:
I would love to hear we are doing this with our players. At the moment we just play them until they get injured.

All clubs do wellness monitoring like that, it's industry standard. Even WAFL clubs do wellness questionnaire monitoring.

Might be some difference in how decisively different clubs act on the data though.

Ryan a test :) Logue reduced by one whole week (not 2-3 weeks like normal) :) Same with Meek.

Luke Ryan – Test
Travis Colyer (hamstring) – Test
Lloyd Meek (calf) – 1 week
Griffin Logue (toe) – 2 weeks
Joel Hamling (ankle) – Season
Alex Pearce (ankle) – Season
Sam Sturt (ankle) – Season
Hayden Young (ankle) – Season
Darcy Tucker (hamstring) - Season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Switta contract is till 2021 I think and when played was better than Shultz imo but the latter has played most games this year. He strikes me as a great operator off the field also.

Footy decisions are brutal, with COVId list reductions, think the days of “he should be given another year due to injuries” are gone.
Walters, Shultz, Crowden in the team and performing, high end 18yo talents coming through Henry, Western, seems like Switta might be in trouble.

Another way to look at it would be which one of the above list would you cut instead of giving injured player another year?

Switta contract is till 2021 I think and when played was better than Shultz imo but the latter has played most games this year. He strikes me as a great operator off the field also.

Footy decisions are brutal, with COVId list reductions, think the days of “he should be given another year due to injuries” are gone.
Walters, Shultz, Crowden in the team and performing, high end 18yo talents coming through Henry, Western, seems like Switta might be in trouble.

Another way to look at it would be which one of the above list would you cut instead of giving injured player another year?

I still think ALL contracts will need to be honoured whether that’s by players staying on the list or payouts. It’s why someone like Mundy who clearly deserves another year might not get one.

Realistically if lists are cut to say 40 total it’s tough. There’s still 3-4 guys on the list I think have close to no chance at being at the club next year. They’re just in the hub because they’re depth - O’Reilly and Butters weren’t even that.

He’s worth another year, back injuries and hamstring injuries are often intertwined
Spot on. The fact that he injured his hamstring after a long lower back lay-off is not a surprise at all. It is a 21 day injury just no time left in the season. I think he has one year contract remaining. I don’t mind whether he stays on primary list or is moved to the rookie list (no different anyway). I would move either of Giro or Meek to rookie list first as they both played zero games 2019 and 2020, whereas Switta has missed only 2020.

He looks to have worked his way through the back issue and a minor hamstring has meant he is done for 2020 which to be honest was a long shot at best anyway.

In saying all this he needs to get himself right and play games next year and play his role. If he is injured a lot next year then that will be it for him.

He missed most of his first season with a severe hamstring which he reinjured after his debut.
iirc he missed the first few weeks of last year with a hamstring issue as well, I really rate him as a player but his injury record is a concern

iirc he missed the first few weeks of last year with a hamstring issue as well, I really rate him as a player but his injury record is a concern
Particularly recurring hamstring injuries. Generally a sign of a back complaint which he indeed did have during pre season. Not a good prognosis for him unfortunately

I still think ALL contracts will need to be honoured whether that’s by players staying on the list or payouts. It’s why someone like Mundy who clearly deserves another year might not get one.

Realistically if lists are cut to say 40 total it’s tough. There’s still 3-4 guys on the list I think have close to no chance at being at the club next year. They’re just in the hub because they’re depth - O’Reilly and Butters weren’t even that.

So who out of Crowden, Shultz, Waters and Henry should be cut then?

With Henry and Western to be developed, 6 small Forwards is way too many in the list imo

So who out of Crowden, Shultz, Waters and Henry should be cut then?

With Henry and Western to be developed, 6 small Forwards is way too many in the list imo

Six small forwards is about right imo, especially when the club would see some of them as future mids.

Matera and Banfield are good as gone imo and play that role. North and Dixon don’t play that role but I doubt they’re on the list next year either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back