Injury Fremantle 2023 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm about to list ALL 21 of the players we have brought in using first round picks that are in the "could still be playing" age bracket.

Drum, Palmer, Hill, Morabito, Apeness, Pitt, Simpson, Logue, Bennell, McCarthy, Hogan, Young, Chapman, Sturt. Most with serious talent. All with serious physical/mental problems. One good career (so far).

Brayshaw got his faced caved in.

Serong and Henry ... fingers crossed.

Will Cerra leave? Crozier and Weller did.

And then we are left with the one and only Tommy f*&*ing Sheridan.

It's truly incredible stuff.

I'm about to list ALL 21 of the players we have brought in using first round picks that are in the "could still be playing" age bracket.

Drum, Palmer, Hill, Morabito, Apeness, Pitt, Simpson, Logue, Bennell, McCarthy, Hogan, Young, Chapman, Sturt. Most with serious talent. All with serious physical/mental problems. One good career (so far).

JFC we are cursed. Even if you were intentially trying to fail, you wouldn't succeed at failing that spectacularly.

Conca and Aish were first round picks. And Matera and Wilson are underage pre-draft picks. Think Acres is pretty close to. Maybe end of 1st round compo pick.

Hey I’m the first to admit I have NFI. But Logue has copped the “rower not a footballer” comments and I just wonder if less experienced players haven’t got the smarts to avoid injury. Probably nothing to it...
It’s a significant indicator in the ACL issue in AFLW in players that didn’t play AFL as a junior so it shouldn’t be ignored

Haven't been keeping up for a few days
Am I reading correctly that Sturt is out for the rest of the season ?

It’s a significant indicator in the ACL issue in AFLW in players that didn’t play AFL as a junior so it shouldn’t be ignored
I think ACLs are more representative in female sports than male generally speaking, no? I think we may be having control issues here. Plenty of vastly experienced footballers can have a wretched run with injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think ACLs are more representative in female sports than male generally speaking, no? I think we may be having control issues here. Plenty of vastly experienced footballers can have a wretched run with injuries.

There could be a correlation with picking up any sport later, or that gap between U12s/U13s with the boys and playing girls competitions and the athletes bodies not conditioning as well as those who never had years off

Someone needs to list examples of players who had s**t runs with injury in their young days but then ended up coming good and playing full seasons.

Please- I need something to cling to.

Yeah bit of a shock for you, if you were coming in blind.
Chappy I wasn't surprised with , kid was in a world of pain
Am astounded they send them back out after their shoulder pops .
But Sturt ........ had no idea , I thought he was ready to go .

There could be a correlation with picking up any sport later, or that gap between U12s/U13s with the boys and playing girls competitions and the athletes bodies not conditioning as well as those who never had years off
I'm not sure why that would be a mechanism and would that be common in elite female athletes in basketball etc?

Here's one article:
Sports-related knee injuries in female athletes: what gives?

Some bits from the abstract:
Although injury etiology relates primarily to sports specific activity, female athletes are at higher risk of knee injury than their male counterparts in jumping and cutting sports. Particular pain syndromes such as anterior knee pain and injuries such as noncontact anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries occur at a higher rate in female than male athletes at a similar level of competition.

Although anatomical parameters differ between and within the sexes, it is not likely this is the single reason for knee injury rate disparities. Clinicians and researchers have also studied the role of sex hormones and dynamic neuromuscular imbalances in female compared with male athletes in hopes of finding the causes for the increased rate of ACL injury.

It's a complex set of issues. Another factor would be the ongoing growth anatomically, which can make the body more susceptible to injury. Surely a more direct and likely explanation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back