anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Can someone please explain just how Valente can be out... sore.
FFS he hasn't played a game.How can he be sore.
What is going on with this club!!!

Well... Not just us.
Norf just lost Jed Anderson for 6-8 weeks

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
Why would the club advertise our injury issues to other clubs?
They don't have to "advertise" their injury issues to other clubs, they simply need to advise their members and supporters!

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
I see Geelong's Shaun Higgins is injured also. Everyone is suffering!

ignoramus

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wonder how many players we've had who have reached (and/or finished their career at) the point of having more games lost to injury (unavailable for selection due to injury/rehab/conditioning) than games played.

Could probably field a team of them, with the caveat, of course, that none of them would actually be available to play.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Switta to be delisted at end of the year having played a handful of games for us the last 2 seasons.
Back to Box Hill vfl where Hawks will rookie him next year and he will go on to play 200 games for them and win a couple of flags.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Switta to be delisted at end of the year having played a handful of games for us the last 2 seasons.
Back to Box Hill vfl where Hawks will rookie him next year and he will go on to play 200 games for them and win a couple of flags.
I would think he will get another contract on the back of the three games he has played this year.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle

Any player that spends more than half a year on the sidelines should be on the delist list. It's not rocket science. How many players on the injury list were there last year and the year before? Maybe if we had this policy it would shine a brighter light on the fact our drafting is terrible.

Maybe if we had Pearce and Hamling delisted last year, the club would feel the need for KPPs more and actually draft them.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
JFC Kyle how we going to keep players if you want to delist them at the first sign of a serious injury?
How many players have a serious injury and eventually come good? We only have a certain number of spots on the list and I reckon I could have guessed half of them this time last year. I don't see why durability isn't rated higher.

If you are unavailable for more than half the year, as a team we're going to have to win without you anyway if we want to make enough wins to play finals. And, as I said, the club seems to think at the moment we're covered.

I'm not saying at the first sign of an LTI, delist the player but players that have never completed a full year and are perenially injured? get rid of them.

Edit - so lets take Hamling and Pearce at the end of last year, I'd say they have both had large unavailable times, lets delist one, keep the most likely to play a full season, Hamling has proven he can do it, try to get something for Pearce and draft another key defender.

Same with Switta, schultz etc.

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Righto, time to delist Hayden Young.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Think Kyle is referring to the Morabito, Bennell ,Pearce injuries that go on for seasons.
Sentiment is a wonderful trait but not sure if it's good practice in a footy club.

Yeah.

Also how much does it COST for these injured players? A guy like Morabito probably cost a lot more actual dollars out of the football department than a more durable player.

Any player that spends more than half a year on the sidelines should be on the delist list. It's not rocket science. How many players on the injury list were there last year and the year before? Maybe if we had this policy it would shine a brighter light on the fact our drafting is terrible.

Maybe if we had Pearce and Hamling delisted last year, the club would feel the need for KPPs more and actually draft them.
I really dont think our drafting is terrible, trading, worst in the league, drafting we do well enough. Genuinely believe we are a stupid Hogan trade from having probably the best young list in the comp (ie Hogan probably cost us King and Duursma if you look at the trades we did)

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Think Kyle is referring to the Morabito, Bennell ,Pearce injuries that go on for seasons.
Sentiment is a wonderful trait but not sure if it's good practice in a footy club.

I’ve got no issue with that per se but that’s not what he said.

Alex Johnson was kept by the Swans until his legs almost fell off. We’re not unique in this regard and I do have some issues with the notion that an employee of the club who breaks his body for the club can be cast aside in such a manner.
I can just see player retention discussions that have players leaving us for similar offers elsewhere where they don’t treat people in such a manner

SiempreFreo

All Australian
Sep 29, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Delisting because of injury is such a tricky issue though.

Look at Menegola: eventually came good post-Freo to be a serviceable, sometimes pretty good player for the Cats. But injured again now? How do you weigh up the actual value Geelong has got from him, minus time out of the game, space on the list that another player can't occupy, compared with the value he might have given to our club had we kept him?

it's like the old "maybe yes, maybe no" fable where each new development might be good - or might be bad. Where does the story end?

Though, for our good and once-great servant Hilly, I fear the story has come to an end....

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I really dont think our drafting is terrible, trading, worst in the league, drafting we do well enough. Genuinely believe we are a stupid Hogan trade from having probably the best young list in the comp (ie Hogan probably cost us King and Duursma if you look at the trades we did)
What's our hit rate on first-round draft picks? It's terrible. I think the reason you don't think our drafting is terrible is that you watch every single game these kids play, you watch the media conferences where you begin to like their personality and you get rose-tinted glasses. By the numbers, we don't have many first-round picks playing for us and we've had access to the best picks most of our existence.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
He literally named Hamling - a guy who barely had a single injury at all prior to his ankle last year. It was a dumb comment.

I'm confident not a single club in the league would delist a clear best 22 player due to injuries either.

The challenge is for us to become a better club and get these guys on the park.

What's our hit rate on first-round draft picks? It's terrible. I think the reason you don't think our drafting is terrible is that you watch every single game these kids play, you watch the media conferences where you begin to like their personality and you get rose-tinted glasses. By the numbers, we don't have many first-round picks playing for us and we've had access to the best picks most of our existence.
Oh, you are talking historically, I dont think there is much value in going back before the rebuild, and the drafting wasnt too bad for the 8 years before the rebuild, it got us to a GF after all. There was a diabolical period during 2010 to 2015. We havent missed on a first round pick since then as far as I'm concerned

Back