Injury Fremantle 2023 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve got no issue with that per se but that’s not what he said.

Alex Johnson was kept by the Swans until his legs almost fell off. We’re not unique in this regard and I do have some issues with the notion that an employee of the club who breaks his body for the club can be cast aside in such a manner.
I can just see player retention discussions that have players leaving us for similar offers elsewhere where they don’t treat people in such a manner

meh, theres an argument for both sides imo,. Who says the club isn't held liable in 30 years for keeping morabito in football training 3 years when he could have retired and worked in an office.

Either way, its basic maths, if they are out more than half the year, we have to win without them and that means we can replace them. Obviously there are going to be special cases, like a Ballantyne for example but thats easy, he's proven he can play more than a full season and he can hit the scoreboard.

Switta to be delisted at end of the year having played a handful of games for us the last 2 seasons.
Back to Box Hill vfl where Hawks will rookie him next year and he will go on to play 200 games for them and win a couple of flags.
You’re joking...surely you’re joking. He’s probably our MVP over the first three games (and that’s without my buddy glasses on). He’s shown more mongrel, fight and most importantly footy smarts in those three games than Acres, Aish and Colyer have in all of their games in purple combined (I quite like Aish as well).

Plus, this is a freak footy accident with no long term fitness implications.

He literally named Hamling - a guy who barely had a single injury at all prior to his ankle last year. It was a dumb comment.

I'm confident not a single club in the league would delist a clear best 22 player due to injuries either.

The challenge is for us to become a better club and get these guys on the park.
I said I would keep Hamling and delist Pearce.

Bit rich calling it a dumb comment when you can't even read.

Your original comment literally suggested delisting Pearce and Hamling and moving any player injured more than half a season to a delist list...

Alright mate...

Any player that spends more than half a year on the sidelines should be on the delist list. It's not rocket science. How many players on the injury list were there last year and the year before? Maybe if we had this policy it would shine a brighter light on the fact our drafting is terrible.

Maybe if we had Pearce and Hamling delisted last year, the club would feel the need for KPPs more and actually draft them.

Your original comment literally suggested delisting Pearce and Hamling and moving any player injured more than half a season to a delist list...
Yeah ok I mean I thought it was obvious my question re: Hamling and Pearce was rhetorical in my first post and I feel like I made myself clear in the next one.

I don't think we should have delisted hamling and pearce at the end of last year but if we did, I think the club would have woken up and drafted a replacement KPD.

I think if the club had durability as a factor in list management we'd have a shorter injury list.

Alright mate...

It wasn't meant to be taken literally and I clarified in my next post. Not for nothing, but if we had this policy, Pearce would have been delisted years ago. There are young players that have probably passed Hamling already that we could have drafted.

It's not something that has to be linear, the higher the draft pick, the better on the field, the longer you give them.

Our injury list is now nowhere near the worst, and yes, I'm touching top quality Western Australian timber as we speak!

How are we going now?
I’m not sure what the best measure is to gauge this anyhow. Is it experience unavailable? supposed best 22 unavailable? Purely the number of players unavailable? It’s all very subjective.
I think we’re the worst off.

He literally named Hamling - a guy who barely had a single injury at all prior to his ankle last year. It was a dumb comment.

I'm confident not a single club in the league would delist a clear best 22 player due to injuries either.

The challenge is for us to become a better club and get these guys on the park.

True about Hamling but he has missed nearly a season and half.
If he re injures what is the outcome.
Players are delisted for all types of reasons.
Do long term injuries stay on a list for hopeful value or sentiment.
I wanted Mora to stay hoping he would recover, same with Bennell but they were both a bust.
Did they hold our list back, just being Davils advocate.

How are we going now?
I’m not sure what the best measure is to gauge this anyhow. Is it experience unavailable? supposed best 22 unavailable? Purely the number of players unavailable? It’s all very subjective.
I think we’re the worst off.
Yes Scham, any metrics are now off the table (no touching of wood-related puns intended there), and I'm fast growing tired of this season and club, with only three games having been played!

True about Hamling but he has missed nearly a season and half.
If he re injures what is the outcome.
Players are delisted for all types of reasons.
Do long term injuries stay on a list for hopeful value or sentiment.
I wanted Mora to stay hoping he would recover, same with Bennell but they were both a bust.
Did they hold our list back, just being Davils advocate.

Morabito played three games in his last six years on the list.
Bennell played two games in his four years here.

Pearce has played 33 games in his last four years here.
Hamling has played 41 in the same period.
Switta has played 23 in that period but probably wasn’t best 22 in his first season.

Those stats include this season so it’s only really 3 and a half seasons (realistically I don’t expect any of them to play before the half way point).

I’m as frustrated as anyone regarding this situation but imo comparing any of our current players to Morabito and Bennell is a bit over the top.

It wasn't meant to be taken literally and I clarified in my next post. Not for nothing, but if we had this policy, Pearce would have been delisted years ago. There are young players that have probably passed Hamling already that we could have drafted.

It's not something that has to be linear, the higher the draft pick, the better on the field, the longer you give them.
I think you have some legitimate concerns about recruiting players that are not durable. The question is how do we know about these issues as 18 year olds on draft night? Apart from Valente who slid on draft night due to injury concerns that have proven to be well founded, how else could we have known that Sturt and Logue would be so delicate in an AFL environment?
What makes a “durable” footballer as an 18 yo?
Trading in players with injury histories for large value draft capital is just unforgivable. Hogans leg problem on top of the fact that he was a campaigner should have been more than enough to put us off him.
Alex Pearce is now approaching Bennell/Morabito territory as far as im concerned. Would anyone here bet their weeks wages he will stay uninjured for the remainder of the season if/when he does return in a few weeks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you have some legitimate concerns about recruiting players that are not durable. The question is how do we know about these issues as 18 year olds on draft night? Apart from Valente who slid on draft night due to injury concerns that have proven to be well founded, how else could we have known that Sturt and Logue would be so delicate in an AFL environment?
Trading in players with injury histories for large value draft capital is just unforgivable. Hogans leg problem on top of the fact that he was a campaigner should have been more than enough to put us off him.
Alex Pearce is now approaching Bennell/Morabito territory as far as im concerned. Would anyone here bet their weeks wages he will stay uninjured for the remainder of the season if/when he does return in a few weeks?

No way in the world! It’s too hard earning it to just throw it away! What I would bet on though is that he retires before playing another 30 games.

Switta has played 23 in that period but probably wasn’t best 22 in his first season.

Those stats include this season so it’s only really 3 and a half seasons (realistically I don’t expect any of them to play before the half way point).

I’m as frustrated as anyone regarding this situation but imo comparing any of our current players to Morabito and Bennell is a bit over the top.

Going by those numbers, Hamling is the only player that is available for selection more than 50% of the time. That means that more often than not, they need replacements who have to be just as good as they are any way or we won't win.

Switta is available less than 1/3 of the time and offers half a goal a game. He was recruited as a mature ager. Schultz also offers half a goal a game but gets on the park. Seems ridiculously simple to me. Neither of them are premiership quality small forwards, you need to be around the 1.8 goals a game for that. So we know they are not good enough, and we know one of them is mostly unavailable for selection.

Edit - they aren't morabitos they are gumbletons

Last edited:
Going by those numbers, Hamling is the only player that is available for selection more than 50% of the time. That means that more often than not, they need replacements who have to be just as good as they are any way or we won't win.

Switta is available less than 1/3 of the time and offers half a goal a game. He was recruited as a mature ager. Schultz also offers half a goal a game but gets on the park. Seems ridiculously simple to me. Neither of them are premiership quality small forwards, you need to be around the 1.8 goals a game for that. So we know they are not good enough, and we know one of them is mostly unavailable for selection.

Edit - they aren't morabitos they are gumbletons

Pearce is barely below 50%. Whenever he’s played multiple games in a row it’s been around 18 months of barely missing games. He’s been unlucky that the club has mis-managed one or two of his injuries causing them to last much longer.

Gumbleton played 35 games in eight seasons on AFL lists. Pearce has played 33 in the last 3.5 years. It’s not every approaching the same territory.

If we delisted Alex Pearce I’m confident they’d be 17 clubs interested.

Isn't Sturt pushing into Bennell territory?
Like 3 Or 4 games in nearly 3 years

Pearce fading rapidly in my eyes
You can only take so much .

It’s a pretty easy start to the year we have too. The fixture is going to get a lot harder in a few weeks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone who goes to training or has any knowledge at all, know if Stephen Hill is in the gym or generally around training?
I know all the signs point to him being cooked but I for one would be very sad if we never saw him play for Freo again.
The forgotten man . . .

Does anyone who goes to training or has any knowledge at all, know if Stephen Hill is in the gym or generally around training?
I know all the signs point to him being cooked but I for one would be very sad if we never saw him play for Freo again.
The forgotten man . . .
I saw Hill and Sam Sturt practicing for a 3 legged race at Cockburn yesterday.

Valente was watching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back