Other Teams
Freo

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought it was 12 but then read somewhere on here that it had to be the season.

Not sure the actual time period.

Edit: You are right, they must miss 6 games (used to be 6 weeks until last year).

Don’t think this is the same thing tbh. One is the Long Term Injury List, the other the Inactive List.

Last year when this article was written you had to have a long term injury to play Catgeory B rookies. That’s no longer the case so this rule is redundant.

I’m still pretty sure that a player needs to be no longer available this season to be made inactive.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Taylor - can you clarify the rules please?

How many weeks does someone need to be placed on the LTI list to allow us to have a mid season draft pick?

If it is the season, can we move them off the LTI list if they are fit, and someone else is injured?

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Taylor - can you clarify the rules please?

How many weeks does someone need to be placed on the LTI list to allow us to have a mid season draft pick?

If it is the season, can we move them off the LTI list if they are fit, and someone else is injured?
Pretty sure she say what I said.

My understanding was the article posted from last year was a short term tweak of the rules so Category B rookies could play. It specifically mentions Caregory B rookies and makes no mention of future mid season drafts.

Besides I can't see the AFL wanting a scenario where club could use what are essentially medium term injuries as a list management strategy.

If we really want a mid season draft pick we tap Chapman out for the season just before the draft like we did with Taberner in 2019.

Last edited:
If we want a mid season draft pick we need to have a player on the inactive list. The players on the inactive list cannot play and have this extra rookie selected in MSD take their place, if the player on the inactive list returns to playing then another player needs to be put onto the inactive list for the MSD rookie to continue to play.

Formerly we would need to have a player on the Long Term Injury List, this is a minimum of eight weeks that they would be on there allowing us to play a rookie listed player. When the player on the LTI returned to playing the rookie could no longer play unless another player was put on the LTI.

We can swap players on and off the inactive list after the mid season draft. If Chapman/Hughes need surgery and are out for 12 weeks then that's a done deal.

We will send one of our other players carrying an injury for surgery to clean it up if he gets a different injury that puts him out for all but a game or two at the end of the season anyway, but there is over half a season to go so he will play when he can.

There will be someone inactive later in the season.

But then why are we taking picks in the MSD? If it's for picking guys who missed out on last year's draft like I want to then it doesn't matter if they are able to play AFL in the last month or two of the season, it's getting them ahead of the national draft.

If it's to replace the injured players then that's different.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
We can swap players on and off the inactive list after the mid season draft. If Chapman/Hughes need surgery and are out for 12 weeks then that's a done deal.

We will send one of our other players carrying an injury for surgery to clean it up if he gets a different injury that puts him out for all but a game or two at the end of the season anyway, but there is over half a season to go so he will play when he can.

There will be someone inactive later in the season.

But then why are we taking picks in the MSD? If it's for picking guys who missed out on last year's draft like I want to then it doesn't matter if they are able to play AFL in the last month or two of the season, it's getting them ahead of the national draft.

If it's to replace the injured players then that's different.
I would think we would want to grab 19yos given our profile. I also think we would want them available to play since you have to make an assessment for next year.

Shoeless Joe

Team Captain
May 22, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only positive to come out of this injury list is we can now expect a draft pick which MAY be able to secure us a decent key forward.
Mind you I know nothing..I thought we had too many half back flankers but the powers that be knew we needed some spares

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
This is Freo, after 3 months it will be TBA for the rest of the season.
Better to get him right for next year.
why? generally curious about what's going to be different next year? Will hamling and Pearce be off the injury list? Will Sturt and Young be able to play more than a few weeks in a row without someone landing on them? Will Cerra hang around if nothing changes and we still sit somewhere around 12-13?

I would think we would want to grab 19yos given our profile. I also think we would want them available to play since you have to make an assessment for next year.
They can play at Peel, a Hugh Dixon returning might play AFL - but I wouldn't expect a 19 year old out of the AFL system to walk in and play league.

They will get rid of the MSD if we manage to land a player like that, so of course I'd like to see it - I just don't expect it to be possible.

We can see our beanpole talls play at Peel for half a season.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
They can play at Peel, a Hugh Dixon returning might play AFL - but I wouldn't expect a 19 year old out of the AFL system to walk in and play league.

They will get rid of the MSD if we manage to land a player like that, so of course I'd like to see it - I just don't expect it to be possible.

We can see our beanpole talls play at Peel for half a season.
Are they allowed to play for Peel if inactive though? If they are then that's fine I agree.

Are they allowed to play for Peel if inactive though? If they are then that's fine I agree.
The injured player on the inactive list can't play anywhere, if they are active again anywhere then the rookie we selected can't play AFL but can play at Peel.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Jlo looks like some ******* spanner now with his half time interview about Chapman:
“It’s just a stinger, he just needs to battle on through the second half now”

2 days later he’s getting a shoulder reconstruction. Staggering incompetence. fu** me, unbelievable.

This was obviously a lie at the time, you’re not gonna elaborate the extent of an injury of someone who’s currently playing and put more of a target on their back, the shifty eyes and pretty much whispering it didn’t help either

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not that there is much positivity with our injury list but we are likely getting back 3 x B22 players either next week or the week after.

Back