Injury Fremantle 2023 Injury Thread

Prediction… he’ll stay in Ireland until after Christmas. There will be more certainty around Covid restrictions by then as well.

makes more sense than being here for a couple of weeks, (he’d still have to quarantine currently), then heading home for Xmas, then having to do it all again.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Classic Freo, he has been signed for a month and already injured

He's been dealing with the hip injury since before covid even existed. Which maybe makes this even more classic Freo. Especially since our last Irish recruit had a hip injury that has seen him in and out of hospital many years after retiring.

kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
He hasn’t run in months

Fremantle Dockers captain Nat Fyfe says his shoulder was ‘blown to pieces’ as he eyes 2022 AFL season
Adrian Barich and Mitchell Woodcock
The West Australian
Tue, 9 November 2021 6:45PM

Fremantle captain Nat Fyfe has spoken about his 'grim' shoulder injury.
Fremantle captain Nat Fyfe has spoken about his 'grim' shoulder injury. Credit: The West Australian Sport

Fremantle captain Nat Fyfe is facing the battle of his career due to side effects to his shoulder reconstruction in July.

Fyfe laid bare the extent of his issues last night, saying:

he hasn’t been able to run for four months;
he needed a bone graft from his hip to repair his “blown to pieces” shoulder
he must go to Hollywood - Hospital every day to intravenous antibiotics;
he can’t sweat;
he also had finger surgery.

“It’s pretty grim. I haven’t run for four months so I’ve got a fair bit of work to do to make sure I’m ready to go for next year,” Fyfe told 7NEWS.

MORE:

Kennedy, Hurn on board for 2022 season
Ex-Dockers cult hero to make shock WAFL return
Look away Freo fans! Cerra hits track as a Blue
Fyfe required a second bout of surgery last month and an infection developed. The West Australian understands the Fremantle skipper may be forced to continue taking antibiotics throughout next season.

Fyfe is working with well-known infectious disease expert Clay Golledge at Hollywood.

The 30-year-old had his first operation in July after several dislocations through the season.

A scan after 12 weeks revealed he needed another operation.

Nat Fyfe shows the PICC drip in his arm.
Nat Fyfe shows the PICC drip in his arm. Credit: 7NEWS/7NEWS

Fyfe said he felt pain while surfing in Tasmania last month, which led to the second operation, which included a hip graft.

“It revealed that the - surgery had failed, the bone block had come off through the latarjet procedure and was floating around in my shoulder,” Fyfe said.

“It just never quite got going. Usually, the strength starts to come up, the pain starts to go down. But I had all sorts of crunching and it just wasn’t right.

“I was trying to surf over in Tasmania (last month) and it just was really hurting me.

“I was on pain killers… we went and got it scanned and it’d just blown to pieces.

“There’s just a small percentage of these shoulder operations that don’t work and unfortunately I’ve become a statistic of that.

“I’ve had the same surgery on my left shoulder with the same surgeon in Melbourne and I’ve never had an issue with that again.”

The dual Brownlow medallist said he would be sidelined for months and needed to go to Hollywood Hospital every day to get the PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter) line antibiotics changed.

Nat Fyfe is assessed by the club doctor ain round 18.
Nat Fyfe is assessed by the club doctor ain round 18. Credit: Paul Kane/via AFL Photos
“I can’t sweat, I can’t train. I’ve got my other shoulder recovering as well, so I’m a little bit stuck at the moment,” he said.

“This sort of infection doesn’t get picked up through blood tests or any visible signs, so it was really only due to the diligence of the surgeon, Pete D’Alessandro, that we’ve actually found it and it may be some indicator as to why the surgery failed, we’re just not sure.”

Fyfe hopes the injury won’t impact him next year.

“I’ve mentioned I want to play more midfield time next year and that’s what I’ll be basing my pre-season around,” he said.

“I think physically and mentally, those two things will be fighting it out to see which one fails first, but I plan on playing for a number of years yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
He hasn’t run in months

Fremantle Dockers captain Nat Fyfe says his shoulder was ‘blown to pieces’ as he eyes 2022 AFL season
Adrian Barich and Mitchell Woodcock
The West Australian
Tue, 9 November 2021 6:45PM

Fremantle captain Nat Fyfe has spoken about his 'grim' shoulder injury.
Fremantle captain Nat Fyfe has spoken about his 'grim' shoulder injury. Credit: The West Australian Sport

Fremantle captain Nat Fyfe is facing the battle of his career due to side effects to his shoulder reconstruction in July.

Fyfe laid bare the extent of his issues last night, saying:

he hasn’t been able to run for four months;
he needed a bone graft from his hip to repair his “blown to pieces” shoulder
he must go to Hollywood - Hospital every day to intravenous antibiotics;
he can’t sweat;
he also had finger surgery.

“It’s pretty grim. I haven’t run for four months so I’ve got a fair bit of work to do to make sure I’m ready to go for next year,” Fyfe told 7NEWS.

MORE:

Kennedy, Hurn on board for 2022 season
Ex-Dockers cult hero to make shock WAFL return
Look away Freo fans! Cerra hits track as a Blue
Fyfe required a second bout of surgery last month and an infection developed. The West Australian understands the Fremantle skipper may be forced to continue taking antibiotics throughout next season.

Fyfe is working with well-known infectious disease expert Clay Golledge at Hollywood.

The 30-year-old had his first operation in July after several dislocations through the season.

A scan after 12 weeks revealed he needed another operation.

Nat Fyfe shows the PICC drip in his arm.
Nat Fyfe shows the PICC drip in his arm. Credit: 7NEWS/7NEWS

Fyfe said he felt pain while surfing in Tasmania last month, which led to the second operation, which included a hip graft.

“It revealed that the - surgery had failed, the bone block had come off through the latarjet procedure and was floating around in my shoulder,” Fyfe said.

“It just never quite got going. Usually, the strength starts to come up, the pain starts to go down. But I had all sorts of crunching and it just wasn’t right.

“I was trying to surf over in Tasmania (last month) and it just was really hurting me.

“I was on pain killers… we went and got it scanned and it’d just blown to pieces.

“There’s just a small percentage of these shoulder operations that don’t work and unfortunately I’ve become a statistic of that.

“I’ve had the same surgery on my left shoulder with the same surgeon in Melbourne and I’ve never had an issue with that again.”

The dual Brownlow medallist said he would be sidelined for months and needed to go to Hollywood Hospital every day to get the PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter) line antibiotics changed.

Nat Fyfe is assessed by the club doctor ain round 18.
Nat Fyfe is assessed by the club doctor ain round 18. Credit: Paul Kane/via AFL Photos
“I can’t sweat, I can’t train. I’ve got my other shoulder recovering as well, so I’m a little bit stuck at the moment,” he said.

“This sort of infection doesn’t get picked up through blood tests or any visible signs, so it was really only due to the diligence of the surgeon, Pete D’Alessandro, that we’ve actually found it and it may be some indicator as to why the surgery failed, we’re just not sure.”

Fyfe hopes the injury won’t impact him next year.

“I’ve mentioned I want to play more midfield time next year and that’s what I’ll be basing my pre-season around,” he said.

“I think physically and mentally, those two things will be fighting it out to see which one fails first, but I plan on playing for a number of years yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
* me dead.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Now where are all the armchair experts that were telling us it was a simple wound infection?
Some chance he is utterly rooted here.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
He has years left in his career, lets not get silly and suggest retirement

Take the time to get him right, if it means not rushing him for next season then don't rush him

A fit Fyfe from round 10-15 onwards is fine if its the best thing for him
Good call. He adjusts his preseason with a target return around May/June, which is around 6months after fighting off the infection. I wouldn’t expect to see him at Training until the new year.

yakamoto

Club Legend
May 8, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Post operative infections are generally a reflection on the standards within the institution where the surgery is carried out. With COVID rampant probably wasn’t a good time or place to have an elective surgery despite the high quality of the surgeon.

Back