Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the AFL's been around for that long ;)
2007 onwards....

Go look at every 1st rounder reo has had in the last decade.

2007:Rhys Palmer
2008: Stephen Hill
2009: Anthony Morabito
2010: Jayden Pitt
2011: Tom Sheridan
2012: Josh Simpson
2013: Michael Apeness
2014:Lachie Weller
2015: Traded our 1st and 2nd rounder to get Harley Bennell and pick 22.
2016: Griffen Logue
2017: Andy Brayshaw and Adam cerra

Should they find out Neale’s reasons first, or jùst sack Lyon anyway?
How many chances does Lyon get? There is obviously a problem with keeping players and staff, particularly if players are choosing Brisbane as the destination? There is a revolving door at Fremantle and the reasons should be asked of the coach as to why?

The pressure should absolutely be on Lyon but there are a lot of assumptions above.

Lloyd and Bond leaving I see as a positive long term, the club needs a major shake up and both of them were 10+ years at Freo.

Freo has signed up all of their young players but Cerra and Neale is considering an apparently big offer from another club, as he should, in his prime this is the one big contract he'll get and he needs to make the most of it. Hopefully Freo offer to match it.

I'm not saying Lyon hasn't lost the players, I don't know, but a lot of these 'facts' can just as easily line up another way.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bond is staying till after this and Rosich apparently until a new list manager is confirmed. This is why I reckon any real effects good or bad will be down the track but for me change has to happen and these are a start.

How many chances does Lyon get? There is obviously a problem with keeping players and staff, particularly if players are choosing Brisbane as the destination? There is a revolving door at Fremantle and the reasons should be asked of the coach as to why?
Revolving door? We've brought in much more than we've lost recently and our coaching staff has been stable for years.

All I hear from his ex and current players like Leigh Montagna, Nick Riewoldt, Matthew Pavlich, Nick Dal Santo, Nat Fyfe, Michael Barlow is about how much they love him. Where are you hearing that he is disliked? The recent interviews with Andy Brayshaw cement how well liked he is.

I personally feel it's time for a change, but you don't need to make up things.

Revolving door? We've brought in much more than we've lost recently and our coaching staff has been stable for years.

All I hear from his ex and current players like Leigh Montagna, Nick Riewoldt, Matthew Pavlich, Nick Dal Santo, Nat Fyfe, Michael Barlow is about how much they love him. Where are you hearing that he is disliked? The recent interviews with Andy Brayshaw cement how well liked he is.

I personally feel it's time for a change, but you don't need to make up things.
Nothing has been made up, i've been saying that Ross Lyon is not a good coach for the past 10 years! Perhaps those players would like to enlighten us all on their success stories under Ross the Boss? Current Player unhappiness? No real modern day game plan? Dictatorial? Sponsors questioning? I doubt anybody at Freo will have a relaxing holiday. Lloyd and Bond depart, Weller chooses the Suns instead of the Dockers and now Neale wants to go to Brisbane? Can they keep Cerra? They re- sign players who couldn't get a kick in a cow paddock in 2019! After the Dockers entered the 2016 season as flag favourites a lot has changed and now The Dockers are in absolute turmoil, a complete basket case, probably worse off than the Suns at the minute! Times up for Ross Lyon!

Let Neale and Weller go for draft picks but sign on Sandilands and Ballantyne? Let's get rid of our good players in their mid 20's and in their prime for lottery draft picks, but sign on guys who need a walking frame.

Just makes my head hurt.

Bleating along with the sheep which is a trait of footy discussion in Australia. There's plenty of room to keep the experience of Sandi, Ballas and Mundy. After that, the next oldest player is Michael Walters (I think). Mundy and 211 are still very useful and Ballantyne has a roster place until our next small forward comes along.

Nothing has been made up, i've been saying that Ross Lyon is not a good coach for the past 10 years! Perhaps those players would like to enlighten us all on their success stories under Ross the Boss? Current Player unhappiness? No real modern day game plan? Dictatorial? Sponsors questioning? I doubt anybody at Freo will have a relaxing holiday. Lloyd and Bond depart, Weller chooses the Suns instead of the Dockers and now Neale wants to go to Brisbane? Can they keep Cerra? They re- sign players who couldn't get a kick in a cow paddock in 2019! After the Dockers entered the 2016 season as flag favourites a lot has changed and now The Dockers are in absolute turmoil, a complete basket case, probably worse off than the Suns at the minute! Times up for Ross Lyon!

Freo will be one of the clubs to record a profit this year, so you can't compare us to the Suns :)

I'm aware you've been saying it. I see your posts often haha. Can't comment on your random points because none of that is confirmed by anyone with inside knowledge of the club. It could be down track but not now.

My theory is that Hawthorn and Geelong supporters have the strongest feelings towards Ross Lyon because the media built him up to be a master tactician in the lead up to each of the Grand Finals, paying less attention to Clarkson and Thompson. He then lost and the supporters are still a little bitter about that ;)

Freo will be one of the clubs to record a profit this year, so you can't compare us to the Suns :)

I'm aware you've been saying it. I see your posts often haha. Can't comment on your random points because none of that is confirmed by anyone with inside knowledge of the club. It could be down track but not now.

My theory is that Hawthorn and Geelong supporters have the strongest feelings towards Ross Lyon because the media built him up to be a master tactician in the lead up to each of the Grand Finals, paying less attention to Clarkson and Thompson. He then lost and the supporters are still a little bitter about that ;)
I think you forgot St Kilda...... But then again, everyone has ;)

Let Neale and Weller go for draft picks but sign on Sandilands and Ballantyne? Let's get rid of our good players in their mid 20's and in their prime for lottery draft picks, but sign on guys who need a walking frame.

Just makes my head hurt.
To be fair when Weller left they had to maximise what they could and walked away with arguably one of the biggest trade steals in pick 2.

Ballantyne is old but if he keeps the form he showed against the pies then he can provide valuable experience.

Sandi never relied on athleticism so he should have the same output.

2007 onwards....

Go look at every 1st rounder reo has had in the last decade.

2007:Rhys Palmer
2008: Stephen Hill
2009: Anthony Morabito
2010: Jayden Pitt
2011: Tom Sheridan
2012: Josh Simpson
2013: Michael Apeness
2014:Lachie Weller
2015: Traded our 1st and 2nd rounder to get Harley Bennell and pick 22.
2016: Griffen Logue
2017: Andy Brayshaw and Adam cerra
Oh Lordy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back