Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Champion data has us as the 2nd worst list in the competition, aside from Fyfe and Walters we have a very short supply of A-Graders.

Champion Data ranked the Eagles 12th last season and 11th this year, so not sure that's the best indicator

Champion data has us as the 2nd worst list in the competition, aside from Fyfe and Walters we have a very short supply of A-Graders.

Mundy's not an A grader? What about the Hill brothers? Hogan? Alex Pearce?

Then you've got the likes of Lobb, Wilson, Hamling.. and others. Didn't McCarthy tear it up against North? Is Sandilands coming back?

Sorry, I just don't buy it. They should be further along than where they are.

Again, with the talent they have on their list, if they're thinking something else they've got it wrong.

Then you've got the likes of Lobb, Wilson, Hamling.. and others. Didn't McCarthy tear it up against North? Is Sandilands coming back?

Mundy you can make an argument for.
Pearce is not an A-Grader. Doesn't consistently take intercept marks and makes too many mistakes by foot. May become one.
Hogan had no pre-season at a new club. He ain't no A-Grader. I'd also argue he wasn't one at Melbourne as many/almost all of his better performances were againts lower sides. Certainly has the talent to be A+ though.
S.Hill is, but never plays because he is always injured.
B.Hill would be an A-Grader if his kicking was consistent. Has some truly woeful days by foot.
Sandi is perma-injured like Shill and Bennell.
Lobb is a B- grade forward and a B grade ruck. As a package that's probably worth an B+.
Hamling is close to A grade, probably our most underrated player.
Wilson is no A-Grader and is also in piss poor form (like half the leagues half backs).
Cam also no A-Grader but again has the talent to be one. Probably not good enough in the contest though for mine.

So I'll give you, conservatively, Fyfe, Walters, Mundy and Hamling. If you really want to stretch it, Billy as well. I suspect that stats don't back this up and that at least a couple of them are not at the level of the true top end players for their position.

If you mean to say that, on paper, when everyone is fit, we should be playing finals, I would 100% agree with you. We have too many gifted players sitting on the sidelines for that to be a reality.

Just don't have enough A-grade midfielders, and in general don't have our best midfield on the park.

Freo are going to have a season like 2012 imo. First half of the year varies from above average (North game) to downright dreadful (Gold Coast game) and then the second half of the year when everything clicks with the new players, they will become more consistent and come home with a wet sail into the lower half of the 8.

Freo are going to have a season like 2012 imo. First half of the year varies from above average (North game) to downright dreadful (Gold Coast game) and then the second half of the year when everything clicks with the new players, they will become more consistent and come home with a wet sail into the lower half of the 8.
at this Rate, I wont bitch or moan for 7th spot

One stat that surprised me with Freo, was they have the stingiest defence in the comp this year. With a pretty inexperienced backline.

They're doing alright but that's maybe a touch misleading, god knows what happened to North but GC and STK were pretty inaccurate and the derby was a greasy arm wrestle of a game and low scores meant minimal 666 resets so it was custom made for a bit of Roscoball

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

One stat that surprised me with Freo, was they have the stingiest defence in the comp this year. With a pretty inexperienced backline.

Actually the backline is not as "Inexperienced" as you think.

Michael Johnson was still playing for us last season before h retired at the end of last year... He was the elderly general.

Alex Pearce is our 2nd pick in the 2013 draft. So that's 5 years of being in and out of the side. He played a lot of games in 2018 despite missing the 2nd half of 2016 and all of 2017 with a leg injury.

Joel Hamling is from the 2011 draft. Was on the cats list for 3 years. Delisted. Played 23 games in 2 years for the dogs including all 4 finals in 2016. Played all 22 dockers games in 2017, played 21 games last year. he is the oldest in the back line at 25 or 26 years old.

Nathan Wilson played 72 games in 6 years for your mob, the Giants. He too has played at least 20 games in 2018.

Luke Ryan is a 21 year old mature ager in the 2016 draft. Played 11 games in 2017 and 20 games last year.

Brennan cox is a Harry taylor type swingman at 193 cm in his 3rd season.

Griffen Logue is 193 cm and played in various areas of the ground...

Ryan Nyhuis is also a small defender we got in the 2016 draft.

Hughes is another mature aged 187 defender we got in the rookie list in 2015. The bloke has played 30 games in 4 years.

Freos backline wasn't too bad in 2018. Freos lost 9 games by 50 points or more 9 times last season. 4 of them happened between rounds 1-14. The other 5 Happened between rounds 15 and 23.

Essentially freos backline was half decent for the 1st 2/3s of the season. The back line was garbage in the last 3rd of the season due to injuries to experienced players and youth running out of gas, especially in the last 5-6 weeks of the season if you saw our results.

After round 15 of last year, Freo only won 2 games. A 9 point win vs Port and a 29 point win vs Carlton, both in WA.

They're doing alright but that's maybe a touch misleading, god knows what happened to North but GC and STK were pretty inaccurate and the derby was a greasy arm wrestle of a game and low scores meant minimal 666 resets so it was custom made for a bit of Roscoball

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fair enough
I haven't watched your games closely. Just bits and pieces.
I do think often innacurate kicking is the result of the defence not giving up marks in front of goal though. If you force teans to shoot from the fringes and deep in the pockets it tends to happen.

The problem now is that unlike 2012 , all their good players had an interrupted pre season, S.hill ,Blakely , Bennell and even Sandilands look great on paper when they come back from injuries but the gelling part kind of difficult to predict . Sandilands now is 7 year older and No longer had Zac Clarke(pre music festival injuries- a better player) , Griffin to depend on in the ruck . GWS not in 2012 competition and GCS - first year in AFL .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem now is that unlike 2012 , all their good players had an interrupted pre season, S.hill ,Blakely , Bennell and even Sandilands look great on paper when they come back from injuries but the gelling part kind of difficult to predict . Sandilands now is 7 year older and No longer had Zac Clarke(pre music festival injuries- a better player) , Griffin to depend on in the ruck . GWS not in 2012 competition and GCS - first year in AFL .
Barlow and Mundy had interrupted preseasons in 2012, Fyfe did his shoulder and missed about 12 weeks, Walters was banished and didn’t make it back into the team until mid year.

I think people misremember how “good shape” the list was then compared to now.

Mundy you can make an argument for.
Pearce is not an A-Grader. Doesn't consistently take intercept marks and makes too many mistakes by foot. May become one.
Hogan had no pre-season at a new club. He ain't no A-Grader. I'd also argue he wasn't one at Melbourne as many/almost all of his better performances were againts lower sides. Certainly has the talent to be A+ though.
S.Hill is, but never plays because he is always injured.
B.Hill would be an A-Grader if his kicking was consistent. Has some truly woeful days by foot.
Sandi is perma-injured like Shill and Bennell.
Lobb is a B- grade forward and a B grade ruck. As a package that's probably worth an B+.
Hamling is close to A grade, probably our most underrated player.
Wilson is no A-Grader and is also in piss poor form (like half the leagues half backs).
Cam also no A-Grader but again has the talent to be one. Probably not good enough in the contest though for mine.

So I'll give you, conservatively, Fyfe, Walters, Mundy and Hamling. If you really want to stretch it, Billy as well. I suspect that stats don't back this up and that at least a couple of them are not at the level of the true top end players for their position.

If you mean to say that, on paper, when everyone is fit, we should be playing finals, I would 100% agree with you. We have too many gifted players sitting on the sidelines for that to be a reality.

ok... you're screwed then. There is absolutely no way you can make finals. You don't have the players to get there.

Happy?

Barlow and Mundy had interrupted preseasons in 2012, Fyfe did his shoulder and missed about 12 weeks, Walters was banished and didn’t make it back into the team until mid year.

I think people misremember how “good shape” the list was then compared to now.
To be fair all of them just started to play Ross pressure ,contested game, their body not yet wear out .Fyfe 20 years old , Walter 21 years old , Mundy 25 years old,Sandi 26 years old . Although GCS and GWS were easy beat during 2012-2015 period you still need play AFL games and travel more and gain those 4 point and percentage to qualify for top 8.

* Ross is not a rebuilding coach , so getting local ready made players like Tim Kelly ,Liam Ryan , Zac Langdon ,Sam Taylor , pick 40 on your list were much better than just pick 2 plus Crowden ,North , Liam Jones , Meek for Weller .

Last edited:
With Freo they just don't commit enough players forward to win enough games. Defenders from opposition teams usually rack up big number for this reason. Look at the game on the weekend

Hurn 36 D 8 M
Sheppard 27 D 14 M
Barrass 17 D 11 M
Duggan 17 D 7 M
McGovern 17 D 9 M
Rotham 17 D 7 M

That game is still an enigma to me, it's good for a rewatch given how strange it was to see two teams kick so badly.
One of the strangest games I have ever witnessed, not even wet weather could explain the complete inaccuracy by both teams. Hawks 5.21 defeated by Eagles 5.24 or something. Incredible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back