Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Go read your post again. Everyone said it was stupid to give Ballantyne and Sandilands one more season. Yet people forget we only had a 1st, 5th, 6th and 7th rounder.

So you want freo to replace a decent ruckman in Sandilands with a 7th rounder?

As I said, Had Freo knew that we would end up with a mid 1st, mid 2nd and mid 3rd rounder with pick 5 out. Both Ballantyne and Sandi would likely to be gone.

You also said Michael Johnson should of retired 2 years ago, I disagreed. He had to hang around for 2017 and 2018 while Cox and Alex Pearce was developing. Also Alex Pearce was out of the whole 2017 season with a broken leg.

Please remember Dzuzzy has only been a footy tragic since Sept 2018. His memory of players prior to 2018, May be a tad hazy ....

Onward and upward.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Games that Fyfe misses could turn real ugly in the middle for Fremantle. For inside midfield depth after him, they have Mundy (seasoned veteran), Blakey (very good with upside) and then Brayshaw, Cerra and Conca I guess - two rookies who need to improve twofold to handle the job and a fairly meh player with no great attributes.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Games that Fyfe misses could turn real ugly in the middle for Fremantle. For inside midfield depth after him, they have Mundy (seasoned veteran), Blakey (very good with upside) and then Brayshaw, Cerra and Conca I guess - two rookies who need to improve twofold to handle the job and a fairly meh player with no great attributes.
its better than nothing though. Not the worst midfield in the comp.

Outside mids consist of the Hill brothers, Langdon, Bennell (if he ever returns) Cerra and crowden. I would add Nathan Wilson too as he drives the ball to the middle from the back 50.

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC
I think they will improve and pushing for a spot in the 8.

Finally having two marking targets that aren't complete spuds like their previous 3 will make a difference.
How many goals do you think Josh Kennedy would have kicked playing in Freo's forward line the last three years?

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
pretty clever commemorative jersey, might get one and start following them...

Annotation 2018-12-25 021521.jpg

How many goals do you think Josh Kennedy would have kicked playing in Freo's forward line the last three years?

I know you think Taberner is on track to be as good as Kennedy, but you need to wake up from the fantasy at some point.

Kennedy would have done better than the 20 or less a year Taberner, Cox and McCarthy put up.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know you think Taberner is on track to be as good as Kennedy, but you need to wake up from the fantasy at some point.

Kennedy would have done better than the 20 or less a year Taberner, Cox and McCarthy put up.
Few things.

A - Not a single person has ever said Tabs is on track to be as good as Kennedy.....no one

B - Kennedy would do better, no arguments there, though he definitely wouldn't be the player he is now if he was wearing purple

C - Wake up from fantasy at some point? Bit rich considering you made s**t up to begin with.

Few things.

A - Not a single person has ever said Tabs is on track to be as good as Kennedy.....no one

B - Kennedy would do better, no arguments there, though he definitely wouldn't be the player he is now if he was wearing purple

C - Wake up from fantasy at some point? Bit rich considering you made s**t up to begin with.

Let me know when you are ready to apologise Mike

Care to substantiate this BS?

let me compare Taberner's first 3 years to Josh Kennedy.

Kennedy
29 Games
148 kicks
90 handballs
238 disposals
128 marks
18 goals

Taberner
28 games
162 kicks
84 handballs
246 disposals
102 marks
23 goals

Developing nicely I would say.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let me know when you are ready to apologise Mike

Honestly you couldn’t argue with Point B.

There was times last year I was wondering whether having Buddy and Lockett in their prime would be enough to make the kicks into our forward line look anything but average.

It’s not like Taberner, Cox and McCarthy couldn’t maxrkdecent kicks to them. They couldn’t mark in a one-on-two or two-on-three our shite midfield kept kicking to. I sat through a few games watching McCarthy in particular make good short leads all game and be ignored for outnumbered contests closing to goals. Will our midfield ignore them from Hogan too?

Kennedy would possibly only average two goals a game at Freo which is roughly what I’d expect Hogan to average. If we didn’t have Hogan I’d expect Lobb to go the same way as McCarthy but it’ll be interesting to see how both these players go with an elite talent in the forward line.

Last year the ball seemed to go from half forward to half back for the opposition far too easy. This was to do with lack of defensive pressure and missed tackles from midfielders and smaller forwards. That’ll also need to improve if we are to rise up into eighth spot like you predict above. We recruited two mids in trade week, one who’s renowned for defensive efforts and recruited two mids and two mid-sized forwards in the National Draft. We still need a lot of work ther to rise up the ladder.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Agreed.

outside of fyfe, mundy, blakely and conca, the other inside mids are kids.

Same thing with the outside mids. Danyle Pearce is gone. We have the Hill Brothers and Langdon. after those 3 are kids in Giro and cerra etc

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Honestly you couldn’t argue with Point B.

There was times last year I was wondering whether having Buddy and Lockett in their prime would be enough to make the kicks into our forward line look anything but average.

It’s not like Taberner, Cox and McCarthy couldn’t maxrkdecent kicks to them. They couldn’t mark in a one-on-two or two-on-three our shite midfield kept kicking to. I sat through a few games watching McCarthy in particular make good short leads all game and be ignored for outnumbered contests closing to goals. Will our midfield ignore them from Hogan too?

Kennedy would possibly only average two goals a game at Freo which is roughly what I’d expect Hogan to average. If we didn’t have Hogan I’d expect Lobb to go the same way as McCarthy but it’ll be interesting to see how both these players go with an elite talent in the forward line.

Last year the ball seemed to go from half forward to half back for the opposition far too easy. This was to do with lack of defensive pressure and missed tackles from midfielders and smaller forwards. That’ll also need to improve if we are to rise up into eighth spot like you predict above. We recruited two mids in trade week, one who’s renowned for defensive efforts and recruited two mids and two mid-sized forwards in the National Draft. We still need a lot of work ther to rise up the ladder.
Surely Cam McCarthy has no excuses in 2019.

He kicked 25 goals in 2017 from 19 games.

He kicked 19 goals from 17 games 2018.

Glad freo at least got Lobb in last years trade period. Hogan was a bonus.. Even if Hogan was injured, Lobb a Tabs cn be the 2 marking talls up forward while McCarthy plays 3rd tall.

If McCarthy cant at leat kick 30-35 goals from 22 games, something needs to be asked about him.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Surely Cam McCarthy has no excuses in 2019.

He kicked 25 goals in 2017 from 19 games.

He kicked 19 goals from 17 games 2018.

Glad freo at least got Lobb in last years trade period. Hogan was a bonus.. Even if Hogan was injured, Lobb a Tabs cn be the 2 marking talls up forward while McCarthy plays 3rd tall.

If McCarthy cant at leat kick 30-35 goals from 22 games, something needs to be asked about him.
Hogan is a very good player. Has the tank to play well upfield.

McCarthy - jury is out. Hasnt really done anything to warrant the hype

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hogan is a very good player. Has the tank to play well upfield.

McCarthy - jury is out. Hasnt really done anything to warrant the hype

McCarthy looked good as a 3rd tall for GWS early on, I think he'll be OK with Hogan / Lobb to take some attention. Hogan also covers a fair bit of ground.

The issue Freo will have is how quickly the forward group can start working together and stay out of each others' space to stop the constant double or triple teams. A fit Fyfe + Sandi (or Darcy) combo would also go a long way to giving more opportunities.

I think there's some talent across the field but largely a lack of depth, and questions over Lyon's ability to put together a suitable gameplan.

Is there a decent 2IC coach at Freo? Or would they be looking externally for a replacement if they turf Lyon?

St Kilda already has their next coach lined up with Ratten for example.

Back