Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

Remove this Banner Ad

the rivalry is great. I was disappointed when the whole "western unity" thing got trotted out in 2013, as serious fans on both sides know it's bullshit. I went for Hawthorn then, I would expect freo fans to have went for the hawks in '15 and Magpies in '18. Part of it is obviously the silliness behind it. Unlike older soccer rivalries etc there's not much of a class element or a racial element or what have you. Just dudes trying to be tribal.

Incidentally, and I can't speak for most Eagles fans, but I don't hate Fremantle. It's great watching them fail and I'm rarely going for them, but I'm not screaming through the TV at Nat Fyfe and co. when they play..

Living in Vic, I don't hate Freo but that may just be due to them not being a huge threat all that often to us. We've rarely been good as the same time.

The biggest downside to losing to them is the slant media coverage takes when you drop a Derby. Even though it's just four points, a win means almost all the news that week is positive about the club and enjoyable to read.

On topic of the thread though, Ross has to have a bit longer yet. You can't have the personal change they've had in the last two years and expect to be more than competitive for the next year at least.

Needs a season or two yet - we’ve traded/delisted/retired 11+12+9 = 32 players in the last 3 off seasons - anyone expecting big rises up the ladder this year are either lacking in knowledge or taking the p1ss so they can claim we underachieved later when Freo doesn’t perform as well as they ‘predicted’

Just to interject, do you think on balance that its good to have a bitter rivalry?

To me, derby's are just 4 points and I only have as much interest in them as I do in the other 16 teams that aren't Freo.

But for most others, there is no escaping the fact that the media in a 2 team town whips up the pathetics in both teams. Few conversations can be had on any football topic without someone from one or the other team (as you can see in this thread) trying to get into a pissing contest.

I'm all in favor of dropping the 2nd game against home town rivals, the extra week of football is good, no travelling is good, but flogs really whip themselves up into extreme states of unbearable.

To me, derby's are just 4 points and I only have as much interest in them as I do in the other 16 teams that aren't Freo.

But for most others, there is no escaping the fact that the media in a 2 team town whips up the pathetics in both teams. Few conversations can be had on any football topic without someone from one or the other team (as you can see in this thread) trying to get into a pissing contest.

4-0 :D

Needs a season or two yet - we’ve traded/delisted/retired 11+12+9 = 32 players in the last 3 off seasons - anyone expecting big rises up the ladder this year are either lacking in knowledge or taking the p1ss so they can claim we underachieved later when Freo doesn’t perform as well as they ‘predicted’
at least you are realistic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds about right. Might be ground hog day for the 3rd season in a row.... do ok in the 1st half of the season, Injuries come in, play horrible footy in the 2nd half of the season with key players of our best 22 out. Play some youth as well.

3rd year in a row to get 8 wins and 14th spot again? A real possibility

Shouldn’t you be asking Hawks supporters the question?
That rivalry is backed up on the field with some cracking games. Same with the Showdown.

Struggling to recall more than 3 memorable games. Demo derby, Ballantyne poster, Kerr goal of the year game. Dockers 25th year, that means 48 derbies. Most of them s**t. Never a final.

That rivalry is backed up on the field with some cracking games. Same with the Showdown.

Struggling to recall more than 3 memorable games. Demo derby, Ballantyne poster, Kerr goal of the year game. Dockers 25th year, that means 48 derbies. Most of them s**t. Never a final.

Cummings 14 goals, Pav outscoring the entire Eagles team, Haselby winner with less than a minute remaining, Gaff punch, Headland/Selwood incident, Carr Brothers vs Cousins, Freo's first win. Those games all stand out for one reason or another. There's been plenty of headline interests, just not always for the quality of the game.

Cummings 14 goals, Pav outscoring the entire Eagles team, Haselby winner with less than a minute remaining, Gaff punch, Headland/Selwood incident, Carr Brothers vs Cousins, Freo's first win. Those games all stand out for one reason or another. There's been plenty of headline interests, just not always for the quality of the game.

I remember that game when Hasleby scored the winner with a minute to go. That was 2006. Josh Carr got 24 disposals and 3 goals an didn't get the BOG. Judd got it with 33 disposals. The next day the West (Coast) Australian posted more about the eagles loss than the dockers win. Still remember bay 13 on big footy at the time as freo had that infamous saints game at Tassie that could of been a draw.

the other 2006 derby was really good. Freo pumped west coast by 57 points. West coast were fatigued as they played Brisbane at the gabba in the heat. Both Carr Brothers ganged up on Daniel Kerr. Jeff Farmer was playing arguably his best footy in his career as Freo were in the middle of a 9 game winning streak and he kicked 34 goals in those 9 games. Good times.

I remember that game when Hasleby scored the winner with a minute to go. That was 2006. Josh Carr got 24 disposals and 3 goals an didn't get the BOG. Judd got it with 33 disposals. The next day the West (Coast) Australian posted more about the eagles loss than the dockers win. Still remember bay 13 on big footy at the time as freo had that infamous saints game at Tassie that could of been a draw.

the other 2006 derby was really good. Freo pumped west coast by 57 points. West coast were fatigued as they played Brisbane at the gabba in the heat. Both Carr Brothers ganged up on Daniel Kerr. Jeff Farmer was playing arguably his best footy in his career as Freo were in the middle of a 9 game winning streak and he kicked 34 goals in those 9 games. Good times.

It was a shame that team was so inexperienced in finals, there was a number of players in career best form that year.

Not to mention that tone deaf chick from years ago who recorded that song about how much she hated the Eagles.
I played bass on that album just feel the need to defend it a bit.
Megan wrote an album of songs about Freo and the experience of being a Freo fan so of course there was a song about hating the Eagles, it's comedy.

The media picked up on it before a Derby and that song got a bit of airtime much to the outrage of humourless flogs on 6PR etc. It was blown completely out of proportion and taken as if it was something serious.

Megan is a very good singer, I've been in the game for 30+ years and do a fair bit of record engineering. Her pitch is as good as anyone I've worked with and she is an excellent songwriter. There were some lovely songs on the album and the hating on the Eagles song was just a bit of throwaway fluff.

I played bass on that album just feel the need to defend it a bit.
Megan wrote an album of songs about Freo and the experience of being a Freo fan so of course there was a song about hating the Eagles, it's comedy.

The media picked up on it before a Derby and that song got a bit of airtime much to the outrage of humourless flogs on 6PR etc. It was blown completely out of proportion and taken as if it was something serious.

Megan is a very good singer, I've been in the game for 30+ years and do a fair bit of record engineering. Her pitch is as good as anyone I've worked with and she is an excellent songwriter. There were some lovely songs on the album and the hating on the Eagles song was just a bit of throwaway fluff.
Slap bass?

It was a shame that team was so inexperienced in finals, there was a number of players in career best form that year.
I have stated that 2003-7 period at the dockers with Chris Connolly as coach was a frustrating time. 5th in 2003 and lost a home final. narrowly missed out on finals in 2004 and 2005. Made that prelim in 2006. Fell off in 2007. Should of made finals every year from 2003-2006. They were capable of doing that too.

History wise it took us 9 years to make finals and another 3 to win one. This is despite Freo recruited/traded players from other clubs: Troy Cook, Peter Bell, Josh Carr, Jeff Farmer, Des Headland.

Some of those blokes won premierships from their previous clubs too.

History wise it took us 9 years to make finals and another 3 to win one. This is despite Freo recruited/traded players from other clubs: Troy Cook, Peter Bell, Josh Carr, Jeff Farmer, Des Headland.

I'd say those trades were the main reason for the lack of success. Bell, Headland and Carr each cost virtually an entire draft's worth of picks. That left a massive hole in our list which we struggled to overcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back