Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Man Fremantle do like to takes gambles don't they.

Sylvia, Brad Hill, Jesse Hogan, Bennell, Cameron Mccarthy

Next up might be Tim Kelly he might turn up like Bennell.

I reckon Fremantle should play it easy and recruit people that have no issues.

But they got a pick in Conca who would have thought he would be a star in the darkest time. If i was Fremantle, I'd also get Mark Hutchings to help with their culture.

But I think Fremantle need an overhaul and rebuild of culture from Ross Lyon down
I am going to enjoy the Bastardization of your post you just wrote. Again you are entitled to your opinion. But lets cut some dead weight and some bull**** and See it for what its worth.

you said Man Freo do like to take Gambles do they.

You said Sylvia, Brad Hill, Hogan, Bennell and Cameron McCarthy. While w are at it, why not mention Danyle Pearce, Nathan Wilson, Rory Lobb

The Late Colin Sylvia was a free agent. We got him for free, we gave him a 3 year deal at $450,000 a year. This wasn't 15 years ago when Freo would of traded a 1st and 2nd rounder for him.

Brad Hill was a good pick up, we only traded pick 23 for him, not exactly a massive gamble. He has been solid.

Jesse Hogan, Probably the 1st time in 10 years freo traded a top 10 pick for a player. Last time freo did that was in 2006 and that was pick 8 and Paul Medhurst for chris Tarrant. Hoping he turns it around.

Harley Bennell was a risk. Talented but Injury prone. But it wasn't a Josh Carr type trade where we traded our 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder for him or "Trade away our future" type trade. We gave them a 1st and 2nd rounder, they gave us an earl 2nd rounder and Bennell.

Cameron McCarthy trade was a very good trade for freo. Yeah we gave up pick 3. But we got cam McCarthy, Pick 8 (Griffin Logue), Pick 32 (Sean Darcy) and pick 72 (Luke ryan). So it was pick 3 for Cam, Logue, Darcy and Ryan. A good trade for freo.

Danyle Pearce, Like Colin Sylvia, joined freo as a free agent, we didn't trade a 1st round pick for him.

Nathan Wilson joined from GWS, we offered our 2018 2nd rounder which ended up as pick 23. Seems fair.

Rory Lobb, we traded pick 11 and 29, we got Lobb and pick 14. Far from trading our future.

Some trades worked out well, some didn't. We are more will run compared to 10-15 years ago. If Freo were stupid, they would of traded a 2018 1st rounder and 2019 1st rounder for reece conca.

One thing is for sure this year...

Going to be a WA media feeding frenzy over Freo, Lyon and Hogan all year.

Hogan won't make it, long term.
Hogan wasn't the only tall forward we got in last years trade period. Got that big bloke from GWS named Rory Lobb,
Effect Bennell had was catastrophic
Are you saying on Bennells out put or the Harley Bennell trade(s)

Bennell off field problems have nothing to do with Hogans problems or freos current injury list.

As for the Harley Bennell trade(s). This is what happened and there is some Irony out of this.

Freo originally gave up picks 16 and 35. Suns gave us Bennell and pick 22. We wanted pick 35 back. Freo did a 2nd trade to the suns. Fre traded their 2016 2nd rounder and pick 61, suns gave us pick 35 back and 55. That 2016 2nd rounder was pick 21 due to freos collapse in 2016.

But what players did freo get with those 3 picks? Pick 22 ended up as Darcy Tucker, who is still with us, pick 35 ended up as Harley balic, who is retired after his 1 season in Melbourne. Pick 55 was used to get Sam Collins who Ironically is at the Suns.

I am going to enjoy the Bastardization of your post you just wrote. Again you are entitled to your opinion. But lets cut some dead weight and some bull**** and See it for what its worth.

you said Man Freo do like to take Gambles do they.

You said Sylvia, Brad Hill, Hogan, Bennell and Cameron McCarthy. While w are at it, why not mention Danyle Pearce, Nathan Wilson, Rory Lobb

The Late Colin Sylvia was a free agent. We got him for free, we gave him a 3 year deal at $450,000 a year. This wasn't 15 years ago when Freo would of traded a 1st and 2nd rounder for him.

Brad Hill was a good pick up, we only traded pick 23 for him, not exactly a massive gamble. He has been solid.

Jesse Hogan, Probably the 1st time in 10 years freo traded a top 10 pick for a player. Last time freo did that was in 2006 and that was pick 8 and Paul Medhurst for chris Tarrant. Hoping he turns it around.

Harley Bennell was a risk. Talented but Injury prone. But it wasn't a Josh Carr type trade where we traded our 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder for him or "Trade away our future" type trade. We gave them a 1st and 2nd rounder, they gave us an earl 2nd rounder and Bennell.

Cameron McCarthy trade was a very good trade for freo. Yeah we gave up pick 3. But we got cam McCarthy, Pick 8 (Griffin Logue), Pick 32 (Sean Darcy) and pick 72 (Luke ryan). So it was pick 3 for Cam, Logue, Darcy and Ryan. A good trade for freo.

Danyle Pearce, Like Colin Sylvia, joined freo as a free agent, we didn't trade a 1st round pick for him.

Nathan Wilson joined from GWS, we offered our 2018 2nd rounder which ended up as pick 23. Seems fair.

Rory Lobb, we traded pick 11 and 29, we got Lobb and pick 14. Far from trading our future.

Some trades worked out well, some didn't. We are more will run compared to 10-15 years ago. If Freo were stupid, they would of traded a 2018 1st rounder and 2019 1st rounder for reece conca.

Hogan wasn't the only tall forward we got in last years trade period. Got that big bloke from GWS named Rory Lobb,
Are you saying on Bennells out put or the Harley Bennell trade(s)

Bennell off field problems have nothing to do with Hogans problems or freos current injury list.

As for the Harley Bennell trade(s). This is what happened and there is some Irony out of this.

Freo originally gave up picks 16 and 35. Suns gave us Bennell and pick 22. We wanted pick 35 back. Freo did a 2nd trade to the suns. Fre traded their 2016 2nd rounder and pick 61, suns gave us pick 35 back and 55. That 2016 2nd rounder was pick 21 due to freos collapse in 2016.

But what players did freo get with those 3 picks? Pick 22 ended up as Darcy Tucker, who is still with us, pick 35 ended up as Harley balic, who is retired after his 1 season in Melbourne. Pick 55 was used to get Sam Collins who Ironically is at the Suns.
I'm talking about the effect he had on others at the club who are no longer there

One thing is for sure this year...

Going to be a WA media feeding frenzy over Freo, Lyon and Hogan all year.

Hogan won't make it, long term.

Interesting post.

Is that what you're hoping for? "" Brings you joy?

I wonder how Liam Ryan would have gone last year if he was persecuted like this?

I don't think we will see Hogan for quite some time this season..if at all. To get plastered one week before the season starts says it all.

Another risky investment in the hope of a magic quick fix that has turned to custard.

You would think that the penny would have dropped by now. Build a team through the draft and don't recruit dickheads.

God I wish Lyon would just piss off.

Literally none of his risks with recruiting 'dickheads' have worked at Freo...
How Bennell got another year is beyond me and utterly ridiculous. McCarthy has been useless and Brad Hill's standards have dropped since he came across.

And then to lose a gun player and solid citizen in Neale...from what i've read Freo were short changing him, he's definitely worth more than they were allegedly offering if true.

Very questionable list management.

How Bennell got another year is beyond me and utterly ridiculous. McCarthy has been useless and Brad Hill's standards have dropped since he came across.

And then to lose a gun player and solid citizen in Neale...from what i've read Freo were short changing him, he's definitely worth more than they were allegedly offering if true.

I understand it's kick the s**t out of Freo day but your right about 1 thing , list management has been questionable but the questions haven't been answered yet

Everyone seems to have decided that this is curtains for Freo but this game makes fools of us all , the more you think you understand the less you know

Let's see what the games have to say on the matter

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Freo has become some sort of haven for footballers who like the after dark stuff more than the on field stuff, and know that the club's not that serious about pulling them into line (or just say the right things when the media gets a hold of it). The amount of publicised indiscretions are too numerous to mention so you have to wonder how much goes undetected. It makes you question where Ross himself is at, and secondly whether his heart is really in it. It's always excuses around injury or rebuild, and if the questioning becomes too intense he goes on the attack. As mentioned by others...Bennell's ongoing saga (devoid of actual football) is bizarre. I fear this club is returning to the dark days when they first came in and were not a serious football side. They were a fanatical finals hardened unit only a few years back..something's gone very wrong. Was it the retirement of Pav that led to the culture to start dissolving? This is not designed to offend the Freo faithful as im completely impartial but it's just a sad situation.

Freo has become some sort of haven for footballers who like the after dark stuff more than the on field stuff, and know that the club's not that serious about pulling them into line (or just say the right things when the media gets a hold of it). The amount of publicised indiscretions are too numerous to mention so you have to wonder how much goes undetected. It makes you question where Ross himself is at, and secondly whether his heart is really in it. It's always excuses around injury or rebuild, and if the questioning becomes too intense he goes on the attack. As mentioned by others...Bennell's ongoing saga (devoid of actual football) is bizarre. I fear this club is returning to the dark days when they first came in and were not a serious football side. They were a fanatical finals hardened unit only a few years back..something's gone very wrong. Was it the retirement of Pav that led to the culture to start dissolving? This is not designed to offend the Freo faithful as im completely impartial but it's just a sad situation.
Of all the things to have a go at Ross for you choose that? Dude is miles from perfect but he gives everything he has got.

Also happy he goes into bat for his players. Guarantee if he didn't do that, everyone would go harder at him. He is excellent at transferring the pressure from the players to himself.

Also, the rebuild is a real thing and so is the injury toll for the last 3 years. These are really easy things to check for yourself before forming opinions on it.

I have no problem with Cam Mac being at Freo. He’s been OK in a terrible team during a rebuild. Remember that at GWS he had the most talented mids ever assembled delivering to a forward line where Patton, Cameron, Boyd and Greene required minding by the defence. He will go alright.

I'm talking about the effect he had on others at the club who are no longer there
Theres only been 2, possibly decent players that have left during the Ross Lyon era: Lachie Neale, Lachie Weller and dare I say it, Dylan Roberton. Roberton left as his missus was pregnant and wanted to head home to Victoria.

Weller wanted out but also wanted to head back to his "Home" state and play for the suns. Born in Tassie, but moved to Queensland as a teenager.

Lachie Neale left, like Wingard, was the one that shocked me. Both are from he 2011 draft, both would of been out of contract and free Agents this year if they stayed at their original clubs. Both went to new clubs at 5 year deals at $780,000 a year or $15,000 a week. That means both blokes will be 31 years old once their contracts are done.

Neale was only on $500,000 a year at freo. Why he didn't stay one more year at Freo is beyond me. Neale Claims Brisbane will win another flag before freo wins one. Its possible but not certain.

I wont have any animosity towards Neale, at last we got something in return. I do Towards Josh Carr as we trade picks 11,27 and 43 for him. He then walked out on us at the end of 2008 when he was out of contract.

I reckon trading picks 16 and 20 for Mitch Clarke at the end of 2011, would of had a more of a negative effect. that would of been a more damaging effect on freo as he would of been on $700,000 a year which was huge money in 2011. Some key players would of been traded out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As bad as we are now. We are no way near as bad as we are on field or off field compared to 2001. Freo in 2001 had 2 wins, got the wooden spoon and were 8 million in debt.

Last season, we got 8 wins, 14 defeats, 14th spot and debt free and Profitable.

Ross Lyon is mentally in a good position. He could retire or get sacked and he should be financially secure. Oh and we got some good kids coming through unlike 2008 where we only had 6-7 guys aged 23 or under.

Theres only been 2, possibly decent players that have left during the Ross Lyon era: Lachie Neale, Lachie Weller and dare I say it, Dylan Roberton. Roberton left as his missus was pregnant and wanted to head home to Victoria.

Weller wanted out but also wanted to head back to his "Home" state and play for the suns. Born in Tassie, but moved to Queensland as a teenager.

Lachie Neale left, like Wingard, was the one that shocked me. Both are from he 2011 draft, both would of been out of contract and free Agents this year if they stayed at their original clubs. Both went to new clubs at 5 year deals at $780,000 a year or $15,000 a week. That means both blokes will be 31 years old once their contracts are done.

Neale was only on $500,000 a year at freo. Why he didn't stay one more year at Freo is beyond me. Neale Claims Brisbane will win another flag before freo wins one. Its possible but not certain.

I wont have any animosity towards Neale, at last we got something in return. I do Towards Josh Carr as we trade picks 11,27 and 43 for him. He then walked out on us at the end of 2008 when he was out of contract.

I reckon trading picks 16 and 20 for Mitch Clarke at the end of 2011, would of had a more of a negative effect. that would of been a more damaging effect on freo as he would of been on $700,000 a year which was huge money in 2011. Some key players would of been traded out.

who was he mentoring during his time at the club, who were his two closest team mates?

I've been a supporter of Lyon since I like to think I'm reasonably realistic and given the list turnover since 2016 I doubt anyone else could have done much better.

Having said that, even the most die-hard supporter will know there will need to be signs of improvement by the bye or he'll be basically out the door and fair enough. It would be the perfect time for a new coach to takeover at year-end with a good age demographic, strong best 22 and a few years of defensive basics drilled into them which can be built on with a more modern gameplan and fresh approach.

Should realistically be 3-0 with undermanned North at home, GC away and St Kilda at home. Will get tougher from there but we should be just in or just out of finals this year if Lyon is to take us anywhere. Any drubbings before the bye and the pressure will be immense

So, by the bye or it's bye-bye?

Let’s see how today goes. No need to be negative just yet.

The Eagles board has already gone into meltdown after last night so rest assured that a big loss today will see this thread bumped by the 'told you so' brigade.

The hype after poor Round 1 results is as inevitable as night following day.

2 reasonable / good years or was or 3? All under Ross.

Into the 25th year of existence this year.

Absolutely disgraceful. Still stuck in the mentality of trades done 15 to 20 years ago...Can't be bothered naming the high profile recruit names. They try and recruit one big player, a saviour, that transforms the whole club. It doesn't work.

Complete and utter shambolic basket case is the club. Heads should roll everywhere. The rot permiates everywhere and is enshrined into their DNA. it's just who they are.

Upper management, coach, health officials, drafting, development, allowing trades to come here and treat the club like a retirement package (No accountability).... I could go on and on.

And I'm not trying to get a reaction, but I say the above to make the following point:

If this was a Melbourne Club, the AFL would be ready to step in about now, ala what happened at Melbourne.
There’s no doubt that’s there’s been some mistakes made over the years and some of them are still impacting the club today.

But to call Fremantle a “complete and utter shambolic basket case” is utterly ridiculous.

Sounds to me that you’re a drama queen.

I worry that Freo might have a problem along the lines of what you're saying and would love to see a clean out of anyone that is letting their social life get in the way of giving their best on the field. Having said that WA is such a footy mad state, with a small city and only the two teams that I reckon an indiscretion by an AFL player gets into the media in Perth as quick as anywhere in Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back