Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I’ve had a number of discussions on this issue today, and there is really no simple right or wrong.

With some players in the similar situation, they are compliant and the doctors get them on the stretcher and remove them to the rooms. With some players, even though they are “not with it”, they fight the helpers. Remember these players are big boys, and all the helpers wanted to do was get the player off the arena. If the player was going to be hard to put on a stretcher, get him off in the safest manner for all involved.

The people aiding Fyfe on the spot, made a value judgement.

Yeah good luck forcing someone onto a stretcher who's refusing to get on.

That would be much more dangerous, think of the falls risk trying to hold someone down and carry them when they don't want to be.

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
According to Lyon Freo won 3 or 4 quarters in the derby

fair effort considering the result

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Not sure when his contract ends, but they probably wont pay him out so he will see it out.

Dont think they should renew him as I dont see them winning a flag under him. Lets face it Ross has had numerous opportunities at two clubs to do that.

Credit to Freo though they have been competitive this year despite some challenges

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Not sure when his contract ends, but they probably wont pay him out so he will see it out.

Dont think they should renew him as I dont see them winning a flag under him. Lets face it Ross has had numerous opportunities at two clubs to do that.

Credit to Freo though they have been competitive this year despite some challenges
Ross Lyons contract runs out at the end of 2020.

would be stupid to sack him or pay out the contract at the end of this year, unless we are really bad this season.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Maniac what's the deal with Taberner? He's showed some good promising signs and has looked like he could rip a game apart but hasn't fulfilled his potential yet. We've seen glimpses of it. Weekend he kicked 2.5 and a couple out on the full etc. Missed an easy goal. Nailed 5 against Brizzy 2 or 3 seasons back and has been in the system long enough now.

Could be a great player. But atm it is just that. Could.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Maniac what's the deal with Taberner? He's showed some good promising signs and has looked like he could rip a game apart but hasn't fulfilled his potential yet. We've seen glimpses of it. Weekend he kicked 2.5 and a couple out on the full etc. Missed an easy goal. Nailed 5 against Brizzy 2 or 3 seasons back and has been in the system long enough now.

Easily the most talked about forward on the freo board. Some like him, some hate him.I am personally a fan of him and he is in our best 22.

Taberner or Tabs for short, has been in and out of the squad.

You could say he is the John Butcher of our side. Scarily similar to him. 197cm and 90-95 kg just like John Butcher. Has the similar strengths and weakness as him too. Is a good chest marker but when it comes to set shots, he is 50/50. He either kicks it straight or sprays it.. Debut game was in 2013, played like 4 games. then another 9 games and 10 goals in 2014. It was in 2015 and 2016 he got plenty of games. Kicked 15 goals from 14 games in 2015. Played a lot of games in the 1st half of 2015. Then was dropped. then played in that infamous 2015 prelim and had a shocker. He was the 2nd tall behind pav.

Then came the disastrous 2016 season. Kicked 18.6 in 17 games. He had competition with Apeness as a 2nd tall behind pav.

In 2017, He was rotated between the dockers side and playing for Peel in the WAFL. Kicked 11 goals from 8 games. This is when we got Cam Mcarthy and Shane Kersten in the trade period. This was the season when we were rotating a lot of blokes in the 2 kpf spots in McCarthy, Kersten, Apeness (key forward/ruckman), tabs and a young brennan cox, who is a harry taylor type swing man.

Then in 2018, he played the 1st 5 games of the season. Then the last 4 games of the season. 10 goals from 9 games.

So between round 6 and round 19, he played for peel. Kicked like 30 goals in 13 games For peel. He was partnered up with another draftee in hugh Dixon, in which should of got a debut game last season. He was out of contract last year then signed on for 2019. He then got a 2 year extension until 2021.

Then comes this season. With the recruitment of Lobb and Hogan, I didn't think tabs would of got too many games, could of been the end of him.

Round 1, Freo won by 82 points. Tabs kicks 1 goal but got 18 disposals. Half of those disposals were on a wing. due to his good contested marks.

Round 2, Freo lost to the suns. Tabs got 20 disposals and 2 goals. Again, half of those disposals were on a wing. We lost it on the selection table. We had Lobb, Tabs, Hogan and Cam in the forward 50. 4 blokes at 190cm or taller.

Round 3, Freo narrowly beat the saints. Tabs got another 14 disposals and 2 goals. Again, half of those disposals are on the wing.

Round 4, freo lost to the eagles. He got another 20 disposals and 2 goals, 3 behinds. Again, had plenty of the ball. But unfortunately sprayed couple of gettable shots.

Again, my opinion is Tabs is best 22. The North Melbourne game in round 1 was one of his better games despite kicking goal. Yes the midfield was smooth moving but we had at least someone to kick too. Yes Tabs and Lobb were the KPFs. I didn't care if Lobb and Tabs were double teamed. It freed up McCarthy to kick 5 goals. Again it took us 2 years to finally play to mcCarthys strengths. Cam isn't a spear head, he is a 2nd or 3rd tall.

Cam has kicked 10 goals and 1 behind in 4 games. 5 in round 1, 2 in round 2, 1 in round 3 and 2 again in round 4.

I wont be surprised if Cam Kicks another 2-3 goals again v the giants this week.

Cam McCarthy played 25 goals from 19 games in 2017 and 19 goals from 17 games in 2018, as a spear head. He would of kicked 30-35 goals in the last 2 seasons if we played him as a 2nd tall behind tabs.

Go on the Freo board, there is a 100 plus page thread called the Taberner effect.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Good write up Freo I like it.

This season his stats have been good, especially since he's been up out on the wing etc. But I have to say mate over the course of his career thus far I see where the majority of the Freo faithful get their frustrations from. It's sub par from a KPP. If he keeps carrying the same form he's in so far it's a job well done,although he simply has to convert his chances. If he delivers what he has in other years gone by I think he'll get delisted at the end of the year.

It's make or break now. Time to deliver.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Tabs tries hard, I just don’t see the point in having a forward who can’t kick. He reminds me of Levi Casboult in some ways.

He's actually got a pretty reasonable G:B ratio, it's about 2:1 (casbout is a way off that). He's a good field kick too.

I think the Butcher comparison is a bit off. Tabs' problem is that he can't kick a set shot more than about 40, and he knows it. So hooks it horribly at range. Saturday was just a bad day which all forwards have.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

Matty ' almost ' Tabener such a frustrating player , divides the Freo board right down the middle

Like one of our other posters said the other night

Tabs "best on ground and worst on ground all in the same game"

Good lad hard worker but lacks the strut of the real good forwards

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Good write up Freo I like it.

This season his stats have been good, especially since he's been up out on the wing etc. But I have to say mate over the course of his career thus far I see where the majority of the Freo faithful get their frustrations from. It's sub par from a KPP. If he keeps carrying the same form he's in so far it's a job well done,although he simply has to convert his chances. If he delivers what he has in other years gone by I think he'll get delisted at the end of the year.

It's make or break now. Time to deliver.
Again, he was contracted he end of 2019. Signed a 2 year extension until 2021. He wont be delisted. Traded if the price is right.

If he was a 1st round pick like John Butcher in 2009, he would of been traded or gone already.

He was a rookie pick in 2013. Took time to develop him. No Doubt Tabs works and trains hard.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tabs tries hard, I just don’t see the point in having a forward who can’t kick. He reminds me of Levi Casboult in some ways.
Um.... one of the main reasons he is on the list for a long time is due to a couple of factors......

-He is a rookie pick from 2013. From that 2012-15 period, Pav was the main tall. The other "experienced" tall forwards the time was Kepler Bradley and Jack Anthony.

-Another reason he is still on the list is he tries hard.

- Another reason was he was cheap KPF depth. Once Bradley and Jack Anthony departed, Outside of Pav was Tabs and our 2013 1st rounder in Michael Apeness.

-Speaking of Apeness, he was a 200 cm and 100kg key forward/ruckman. I could understand why freo took a punt on him. Gutted as he shown to be serviceable too. played a couple of freo games in 2014. Did his knee in 2015, out for 12 months. Played 5 games and got 3 goals near the end of 2016. Missed 2017 with a knee reco again. Played 5 games and 3 goals mid 2018. delisted in 2018. was going to be on our rookie list in 2019 but retired as he did his knee again.
He's actually got a pretty reasonable G:B ratio, it's about 2:1 (casbout is a way off that). He's a good field kick too.

I think the Butcher comparison is a bit off. Tabs' problem is that he can't kick a set shot more than about 40, and he knows it. So hooks it horribly at range. Saturday was just a bad day which all forwards have.

The comparisons of Tabs and Butcher is there to a degree. Both are Victorian. Both are tall and lanky/skinny. Both are around 197 cm and 90-95kg.

Tabs isn't a penetrating kick.

But you cant deny his work rate. The bloke gets 15-20 disposals a game and half of them are on a wing. the other half are In the inside 50.

Sully111

Premiership Player
Jun 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Freo need to make finals. With the talent in their team, anything below that is unacceptable. Ross and the club have run out of excuses.

dcutter

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Freo won’t play finals so will be interesting to see what the expectation is here.

In fairness they’ve played ok so far.
An undermanned team took it up and nearly pinched it against a cocky, full strength eagles outfit.

Reasonably tough run the next 5 rounds. I’d say we’ll know more about where this team sits and Ross’ subsequent fate after round 10 or so

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Freo need to make finals. With the talent in their team, anything below that is unacceptable. Ross and the club have run out of excuses.
Have you emailed the club to let them know that this is what they need to do? I have a feeling they might be thinking something different to this.

Sully111

Premiership Player
Jun 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Have you emailed the club to let them know that this is what they need to do? I have a feeling they might be thinking something different to this.

Again, with the talent they have on their list, if they're thinking something else they've got it wrong.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
We've got the talent that should be pushing for finals, I honestly don't think we will this season, but if we manage to challenge the top teams and finish around 9th-11th then I wouldn't necessarily call that a failure, although we should be pushing for a top 8 spot. Taberner 100% is Best 22 material, I rate him over Cox 9/10, Cox is good, but not quite as good as Taberner. Hope he continues his good form this season.

Back