Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
What is going on over there? Is Optus Stadium a serious problem? Seems like it.
Possibly. I’ve never been on Optus, but I was talking to someone who recently started playing on a brand new oval (new ground etc), and he says it’s causing him all kinds of issues with his muscles, including his upper back.

Couple the move to Optus with the move to Cockburn a few years earlier (also on reclaimed land from memory) and maybe that’s the reason for our very long injury list over the past five-ish years.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm sorry but you're coming across as a bit of a knob in this thread. Seems like you are incapable of changing your opinion regardless of any facts or results and that you've backed yourself into a corner you're too proud to come out of. Either that or things are very personal between you and Lyon.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

No need to apologise , call it as you see it

A couple of lucky wins and it's case closed is it ?

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Possibly. I’ve never been on Optus, but I was talking to someone who recently started playing on a brand new oval (new ground etc), and he says it’s causing him all kinds of issues with his muscles, including his upper back.

Couple the move to Optus with the move to Cockburn a few years earlier (also on reclaimed land from memory) and maybe that’s the reason for our very long injury list over the past five-ish years.

this is getting very Stephen King ..

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
What is going on over there? Is Optus Stadium a serious problem? Seems like it.
It’s becoming an elephant in the room.
Tabs going down twice in the two years we’ve been at Optus stadium. Even though he’s been okay running around in the WAFL grounds and no problems.
Not 1, 2 but 3 stars fractures at one club.. yeah somethings up.
But then again it’s the Optus stadium cricket snobs that control the surface in hope of attracting world class cricket..

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
A couple of lucky wins and it's case closed is it ?

When you go to the home ground of a top 4 side expecting to get beaten or maybe even belted, there’s a lot more going on than “a couple of lucky wins”.

If you’re not genuinely excited by Freo’s last two performances, then I don’t count you as a true Freo fan.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
When you go to the home ground of a top 4 side expecting to get beaten or maybe even belted, there’s a lot more going on than “a couple of lucky wins”.

If you’re not genuinely excited by Freo’s last two performances, then I don’t count you as a true Freo fan.

Great loved it , if you want to count them as convincing proof to re-sign Rosco then good for you but they were ' bounce of the ball ' type wins and if they go the other way I bet the story is a whole lot different

So that's my position and you can think what you like

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great loved it , if you want to count them as convincing proof to re-sign Rosco then good for you but they were ' bounce of the ball ' type wins and if they go the other way I bet the story is a whole lot different

At the pointy end, they’re very often “bounce of the ball” type wins. Look at last year’s GF or, dare I say it, even the ‘10 Stephen Milne GF.

The point is, we’re now playing, and giving a reasonable account of ourselves, in games of that ilk.

It’s becoming an elephant in the room.
Tabs going down twice in the two years we’ve been at Optus stadium. Even though he’s been okay running around in the WAFL grounds and no problems.
Not 1, 2 but 3 stars fractures at one club.. yeah somethings up.
But then again it’s the Optus stadium cricket snobs that control the surface in hope of attracting world class cricket..

Cricket should be at the WACA.

TheShardMan

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Limping into finals or just missing wont make a difference to me. rtb will never lead us to the ultimate success. we will be stuck in purgatory as long as he's there. we're the new north.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos

Of course the story would be different.
Ross has been on the end of one the biggest 'bad bounce' results in our game.
Are you going to argue that he could be a premiership coach and he's worth every penny?
If you're going to ride the losses you have to ride the wins.
Some balls bounced our way and we won. We dominated parts of the games and we won.

Darcy 2 Fyfe

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
Yallingup
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
I remember when the media reaction when St Kilda failed to re-sign him so he exercised his contractual right to leave. The media was in disarray as none of them saw it coming. Whately was an utter embarrassment and fanboys Australia wide lit their pitch forks and jumped on the bandwagon.
Was a pathetic display and some of the media still has an axe to grind. I'm not sure St Kilda supporters will ever get over it.
Still love it when AFL360 interviews Ross and it Robbo with an empty seat as Whately has to leave the studio if they want Ross on.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Despite the pessimism by many of my fellow Fremantle fans after losing another key player in Lobb, I'm still confident we'll play finals. Sure it sucks, but they can be replaced. Good teams step up when injuries hit, and if we're serious about playing finals we'll cover them easily. Darcy wants to be the big man for us? The future of our ruck department? Well ******* step up mate. Logue wants to be a solid member of our back 6? Well here's your chance mate. All our depth players are going to have to step up if we wanna play finals, and with how talented they are, they can do exactly that. And if they truly care about this club, then they'll do it. McCarthy's contract is up this season, so if he wants that contract he's gonna have to ******* earn it. Cox has a chance to show the fans why people have put so much stock in him as a future great player for the club. Bennell has his final chance at footy and he's gonna need to push hard to do it. All these players are extremely talented and perfectly capable of taking up this task, and I reckon they'll do just that.
We'll be fine.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Despite the pessimism by many of my fellow Fremantle fans after losing another key player in Lobb, I'm still confident we'll play finals. Sure it sucks, but they can be replaced. Good teams step up when injuries hit, and if we're serious about playing finals we'll cover them easily. Darcy wants to be the big man for us? The future of our ruck department? Well ******* step up mate. Logue wants to be a solid member of our back 6? Well here's your chance mate. All our depth players are going to have to step up if we wanna play finals, and with how talented they are, they can do exactly that. And if they truly care about this club, then they'll do it. McCarthy's contract is up this season, so if he wants that contract he's gonna have to ******* earn it. Cox has a chance to show the fans why people have put so much stock in him as a future great player for the club. Bennell has his final chance at footy and he's gonna need to push hard to do it. All these players are extremely talented and perfectly capable of taking up this task, and I reckon they'll do just that.
We'll be fine.
Love the optimism. :thumbsu:

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Happy to go 0-10 like we did in 2016 or 0-17 in 2001?

Well..... I .......um

Nope

I admit it

You have me stumped

how you can use Rosco's glorious 0-10 re-signing celebration of 2016 as an argument against me when I'm the 1 who doesn't want to re-sign him

I've stewed on this for quite a while but I give up

You win this round

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Well..... I .......um

Nope

I admit it

You have me stumped

how you can use Rosco's glorious 0-10 re-signing celebration of 2016 as an argument against me when I'm the 1 who doesn't want to re-sign him

You win this round
do you want Ross Lyon sacked this season?

Or are you going to be two faced about it just like other Freo posters?

Again, I have backed Ross Lyons rebuild of freo unconditionally since round 2, 2017. Coincidentally, after Zac Dawsons last afl game

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
do you want Ross Lyon sacked this season?

Or are you going to be two faced about it just like other Freo posters?

Again, I have backed Ross Lyons rebuild of freo unconditionally since round 2, 2017. Coincidentally, after Zac Dawsons last afl game

Nope just don't want him re-signed and have been consistently posting that for 12 months if you would like to check the RTB thread on the Freo board it's all there and time stamped to boot

He's done alright on the rebuild par for the course but no better than that and unless something extraordinary happens ...... it's time to move on

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nope just don't want him re-signed and have been consistently posting that for 12 months if you would like to check the RTB thread on the Freo board it's all there and time stamped to boot

He's done alright on the rebuild par for the course but no better than that and unless something extraordinary happens ...... it's time to move on

Genuine question, what is par for a rebuild?

Take Fremantle and your emotive connection to it out of the equation. If the fictitious AFL team Wagga Wagga rebuilt and turned over most of it's list in 3-4 years and beat 3 of the top 4 teams by mid season (2 of those games interstate) and had spent a decent amount of time in the 8... How does that stack up against other rebuilding teams?

I can think of plenty of examples of rebuilding clubs that are nowhere near in that time frame. But finding examples of teams doing better than that is a tough ask. Just my opinion and not a statement of fact but I think we are ahead of the average rebuild, not at par.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Well..... I .......um

Nope

I admit it

You have me stumped

You win this round
Another thing that needs to be brought up.

Lyon signed originally on a 4 year deal from 2012-2015. He then signed a 2 year extension until 2017 after the 2013 GF. He then signed a contract until 2020 after the 2015 prelim loss.

Then the owen-10 s**t came in and the gutless spineless anti lyon clowns came in to sink the boots in.

I hope for our sake, if Lyon is gone by 2020, we dont replace him with a Mark Neeld type. Because if that happens, I will be on your a**, oh I mean ya Kim Kardashian like a ton of bricks.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Genuine question, what is par for a rebuild?

Take Fremantle and your emotive connection to it out of the equation. If the fictitious AFL team Wagga Wagga rebuilt and turned over most of it's list in 3-4 years and beat 3 of the top 4 teams by mid season (2 of those games interstate) and had spent a decent amount of time in the 8... How does that stack up against other rebuilding teams?

I can think of plenty of examples of rebuilding clubs that are nowhere near in that time frame. But finding examples of teams doing better than that is a tough ask. Just my opinion and not a statement of fact but I think we are ahead of the average rebuild, not at par.

You might be right , who knows but we have been in decent positions the last few years at the half way mark and gone down the gurgler are you certain it is not going to happen again ?

Break even we finish 10th this year and push up into the bottom of the 8 next year

If you want to draw comparisons with the GC's Brisbane's Carltons and StKilda's of the world then fine

We aren't the bloody Wagga Wagga whotsits , we are from one of the greatest footy towns in Australia and 1 of 2 teams in one of the greatest footy states

Sometimes I have great pride in my fellow Freo fans other times youse ****ing do my head in

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tony, I don't like that we are in a rebuild any more than you do. But we ran out of gun players - ignoring trades, our first round picks are Steven Hill in 2008 with nothing until Logue in 2017 (both injured for a lot of the last 18 months). We got into the state that we needed a rebuild because of list management issues, without the talent on the park it's hard to compete.

So the rebuild in our instance is primarily about the list managers repopulating the list with cattle that is up to the task, no coach can do much without the talent. When you get that talent and it's 18 - it's still not fit for purpose, it takes a few years to build up the tank and be more competitive. The difference between low possession numbers as an 18 year old and being a gun with 30+ possessions a handful of years later.

I have plenty of pride in Freo, but while I want us to win every grand final every year, I'm not lynching a coach if we don't provide the tools fit for the job. The greatest coach in the league (Clarkson) is also rebuilding and is lower than us on the ladder, similar to Ross his club has not given him the tools for the job that would let him be near the top of the ladder this year and is poor odds to win a Grand Final this year (and the last few).

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tony, I don't like that we are in a rebuild any more than you do. But we ran out of gun players - ignoring trades, our first round picks are Steven Hill in 2008 with nothing until Logue in 2017 (both injured for a lot of the last 18 months). We got into the state that we needed a rebuild because of list management issues, without the talent on the park it's hard to compete.

So the rebuild in our instance is primarily about the list managers repopulating the list with cattle that is up to the task, no coach can do much without the talent. When you get that talent and it's 18 - it's still not fit for purpose, it takes a few years to build up the tank and be more competitive. The difference between low possession numbers as an 18 year old and being a gun with 30+ possessions a handful of years later.

I have plenty of pride in Freo, but while I want us to win every grand final every year, I'm not lynching a coach if we don't provide the tools fit for the job. The greatest coach in the league (Clarkson) is also rebuilding and is lower than us on the ladder, similar to Ross his club has not given him the tools for the job that would let him be near the top of the ladder this year and is poor odds to win a Grand Final this year (and the last few).

And there you go! I do get frustrated in freos best 22 players in Alex Pearce and Stephen Hill gets injured.

And yes its sad that most of our 1st rounders from 2008-16 are either injury prone, had off field issues or had both.

Sadly there were times some of those 1st rounders could of been used on better quality players.

I know freo didnt have a top 10 pick from 2012-15 due to making finals.

Freo tried to grab that elusive KPF to help pav, but that sadly didnt happen. We tried to develop one too. Unfortunately, KPFs take time to develop. Looking back.... Gutted with Michael Apeness, our 1st rounder in 2013. Chosen as a KPF/Ruck.

Tabs is slowly developing into a solid player only to be friggin injured again.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Another thing that needs to be brought up.

Lyon signed originally on a 4 year deal from 2012-2015. He then signed a 2 year extension until 2017 after the 2013 GF. He then signed a contract until 2020 after the 2015 prelim loss.

Then the owen-10 **** came in and the gutless spineless anti lyon clowns came in to sink the boots in.

I hope for our sake, if Lyon is gone by 2020, we dont replace him with a Mark Neeld type. Because if that happens, I will be on your a**, oh I mean ya Kim Kardashian like a ton of bricks.

Mark Neeld ?

Do you want me to start listing all the teams who have changed coaches and they weren’t Mark Neeld and it has been a positive ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

Not re-signing Ross after 9 years @ 9 million and probably no flag is a Lynching ?

Regarding Clarko let’s hope we can finally win 1 against him this year before we start dancing on his grave hey

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back