Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

FastLane

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2012
club tropicana
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
#TEAMWHAM
Amazing how some people have reacted after this derby loss.

Um..... Ladies and Gentleman, do you know that this is Freos 1st 10 goal loss this season?

Yeah we got belted by Richmond by 25 points. But it was decieving as freo kicked the last 4-5 goals of that game.

Also Freos other losses this season.

3 point loss to Suns in Gold coast
13 point loss to eagles in the derby early this season
17 point loss to the crows in Adelaide
8 point loss to Bombers in Adelaide
14 point loss to Demons in the MCG
4 point loss to carlton.

Last season, we lost by 50 points or more in 9 games.

4 of them came between rounds 1-14. round 15 was the bye. the other 5 game between rounds 16-23. the fequent thrashings happened for 2 reasons.

1. freo had injuries to experienced players
2. freo had to play more youth due to injuries to experienced players.

You make some great and valid points- too rational, some might say.
Although I agree with the majority, supporting Freo throughout Ross's tenure has been a bit like a bad relationship- when things are greta they are fantastic, and when they're bad they are horrible- always enough good to keep you in it, and when it does turn bad there are always excuses.
It's part of what makes me love and hate footy in equal parts.
Ross is an easy target- but I question our on field leadership- especially when things start going wrong. As much as I have loved Nat over the journey, I do wonder if he tries too much and others struggle to step up

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Dear God, don't be encouraging Freo to change their coach!

Ross is doing an amazing at the Dockers, they should sign him to another long term deal.

His ongoing magnificence in the Fremantle coaching box is worth 8 premiership points per year for the eagles. Let's not change what isn't broken.

Long may his reign continue.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Dear God, don't be encouraging Freo to change their coach!

Ross is doing an amazing at the Dockers, they should sign him to another long term deal.

His ongoing magnificence in the Fremantle coaching box is worth 8 premiership points per year for the eagles. Let's not change what isn't broken.

Long may his reign continue.

It's not fair that the Eagles fans get all the fun though. For those of us Victorian based, having him join SOS at Carlton would be a real treat !!!

Yet you forget that this freo side has beaten 4 teams currently in the top 8: GWS, Collingwood, Port and Brisbane.

I still think freo will get 2-3 more wins before the season ends.

I haven't forgotten that at all.

Just pointing out how you can twist facts to suit any argument.

However, the only facts that matter, at the end of the day, are win-loss records, and finals, and flags won. Coaching careers are continued and ended by them.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
They should get someone who can bring the best out of Hogan. Ross can't do that.
Hogan has actually had some good games at freo this year.

Actually the fact that players cant score goals under ross Lyon is a myth. Walters is our leading goal kicker with 31 goals.

Matera kicked 4 goals vs GWS in Canberra then the next week kicked 5 vs the Bulldogs in Perth. He has kicked 25 goals in 13 games.

Cam McCarthy has kicked 4 goals vs Carlton last week and 5 vs North in round 1. he has kicked 25 goals in 13 games this year too.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I haven't forgotten that at all.

Just pointing out how you can twist facts to suit any argument.

However, the only facts that matter, at the end of the day, are win-loss records, and finals, and flags won. Coaching careers are continued and ended by them.
No s**t sherlock.

I just find it funny non freo supporters are stupid when it came to our rebuild in the last 3-4 years. Every year people wanted him sacked.

No s**t sherlock.

I just find it funny non freo supporters are stupid when it came to our rebuild in the last 3-4 years. Every year people wanted him sacked.

And I point you to my earlier post, citing a couple of Freo posters:

The eagles are just a well oiled machine. A club culture built around success. Once the wheels start to fall off, Jeppy is on the phone, Nisbett's called in the board and plans are being discussed. Long term "rebuilds" are not accepted.
There was genuine pressure on Adam Simpson in 2017 because the eagles weren’t delivering, and that was a year that they won a final. Meanwhile we announce rebuilds and post tables of how old our list is to explain away shortcomings. Very frustrating juxtaposition.

You might be prepared to accept it but me, personally, as an arrogant chardonnay sipper three years out of finals is a long time.

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm with forward press. The "we aren't getting flogged as much" doesn't really fly. GC and Carlton should've been certain wins. Plenty of games where sure, you're not losing by 10 goals, but you've never looked in it either.

The "every year people want him sacked" is plain false and seeing as you've posted no evidence to back it up it's the sorta statement that can be immediately thrown in the trash.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
And I point you to my earlier post, citing a couple of Freo posters:

You might be prepared to accept it but me, personally, as an arrogant chardonnay sipper three years out of finals is a long time.
it is isnt it?

Yet KPPs take 3-4 years to develop.

Hence when a team has to go through a 3-4 year rebuild and the team is garbage, I think the 1st year you got after the KPPs. Still as I said in one draft year, you get a bunch of 18-20 year olds. 4 years later they are 22-24 year olds that are either in the 22 or fringe/depth players.

Regardless if Ross Lyon is gone this year or next year, the next coach has a core of players to build around that we got i the 2016-18 drafts.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I'm with forward press. The "we aren't getting flogged as much" doesn't really fly. GC and Carlton should've been certain wins. Plenty of games where sure, you're not losing by 10 goals, but you've never looked in it either.

The "every year people want him sacked" is plain false and seeing as you've posted no evidence to back it up it's the sorta statement that can be immediately thrown in the trash.
Have you read my previous posts in this thread?

Again, how do you define improvement?

Forward Press says flags, grand finals, finals etc. thats the result. Try to see the bigger picture. the win-loss record does show a fair bit. I mean we dropped off at the end of 2015. Had a horror season in 2016 with only 4 wins. To this day I say 2016 was nothing short of a fluke and everything going wrong.

2017 got us 8 wins. Had a close game every 2nd game and a heavy loss in every other 2nd game. So 10-12 games out of 22 we have been competitive. Plus you had those 3 100 point losses and an 89 point loss. Can make an argume freo could of had as little as 5 wins in 2017 or as much as 10 or 12.

2018 got us another 8 wins. again 9 losses by 50 points or more including that 100 point loss to the cats late last season. In 2017 or 2018, we didnt even look like a team capaable of making finals.

Anyone that hasnt seen that freo has improved from last year is a damn fool.

Again, I want to see how the rest of the season plays out. Because if Freo somehow gets 10 or 11 wins, then that meant those close games we dropped cost us a finals spot.

In 2019. So far we have 7 wins and 8 defeats. some say freo will not win another game this year. I say we will get 2-3 more wins.

Now you say the "We arent getting flogged as much" doesnt fly. It probably doesnt. But if you think that freo havent been competitive for most weeks then you are a fool.

Have you read my previous posts in this thread?

Again, how do you define improvement?

Forward Press says flags, grand finals, finals etc. thats the result. Try to see the bigger picture. the win-loss record does show a fair bit.

(snip)

Now you say the "We arent getting flogged as much" doesnt fly. It probably doesnt. But if you think that freo havent been competitive for most weeks then you are a fool.

Being competitive doesn't get you flags. Winning does - more precisely, winning more than you lose so you can play finals, and then win finals so you can win the flag and exercise bragging rights over supporters of 17 other clubs. Is that not the point of it all?

Supporters can accept being uncompetitive for a little bit as they push for the next flag but after a while the head coach has to fall on their sword if it looks like going nowhere.

Do you think Ross Lyon should be retained in 2020 if the Dockers miss finals again this year?

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Being competitive doesn't get you flags. Winning does - more precisely, winning more than you lose so you can play finals, and then win finals so you can win the flag and exercise bragging rights over supporters of 17 other clubs. Is that not the point of it all?

Supporters can accept being uncompetitive for a little bit as they push for the next flag but after a while the head coach has to fall on their sword if it looks like going nowhere.

Do you think Ross Lyon should be retained in 2020 if the Dockers miss finals again this year?
Being competitive makes you a better side. Well at least better than a Mark neeld coached side in 2013. However, there is one important question needs to be asked about freos rebuild. Has freo tanked like Carlton did in 2005-7? of course not.

Also freo have been busy when it comes recruiting and trading players. Most rebuild sides in the past would just get 5-7 18 year olds every year for the next 3-5 years and just pump games into them for the sake of it.

I have seen improvements in freo since 2016.

Still a faint chance of finals though. Again..... let see how the rest of the season pans out.

Do I think Ross Lyon should be retained in 2020 if the Dockers miss finals again this year? Yes. I want to see the rebuild out.

Worse case scenario next year is freo dont make finals for a 5th year in a row but at least we have the core of 2016 and 2017 draftees as the core of our future.

If he was out of contract this year, he might of been sacked after the derby though

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Unbelievable that not one of the footy shows yesterday call out their performance on Saturday.

I watched On the Couch and they mentioned the Derby plenty, Healy had his usual jizzfest over NicNat, they also reminded Brown of his Freo are the best team in WA jibe...but yeah, no real mention of Lyon.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Being competitive makes you a better side. Well at least better than a Mark neeld coached side in 2013. However, there is one important question needs to be asked about freos rebuild. Has freo tanked like Carlton did in 2005-7? of course not.

Also freo have been busy when it comes recruiting and trading players. Most rebuild sides in the past would just get 5-7 18 year olds every year for the next 3-5 years and just pump games into them for the sake of it.

I have seen improvements in freo since 2016.

Still a faint chance of finals though. Again..... let see how the rest of the season pans out.

Do I think Ross Lyon should be retained in 2020 if the Dockers miss finals again this year? Yes. I want to see the rebuild out.

Worse case scenario next year is freo dont make finals for a 5th year in a row but at least we have the core of 2016 and 2017 draftees as the core of our future.

If he was out of contract this year, he might of been sacked after the derby though

Good on you for flying the flag mate but you are a bit misguided stating our rebuild is categorically better than other teams because the real questions won’t be answered until the young players we have been pumping games into take over as the key players in the team

There is a real risk that our rebuild ends up a bit like the saints where we have rebuilt to the middle

A lot of our future success is tied to the Hogan , Lobb , Wilson , Matera McCarthy traded in type players and if they can provide consistent A Grade production and not just flashes of A Grade potential along with the young guys we have invested heavily in actually becoming quality AFL players once the training wheels come off

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Good on you for flying the flag mate but you are a bit misguided stating our rebuild is categorically better than other teams because the real questions won’t be answered until the young players we have been pumping games into take over as the key players in the team

There is a real risk that our rebuild ends up a bit like the saints where we have rebuilt to the middle

A lot of our future success is tied to the Hogan , Lobb , Wilson , Matera McCarthy traded in type players and if they can provide consistent A Grade production and not just flashes of A Grade potential along with the young guys we have invested heavily in actually becoming quality AFL players once the training wheels come off

Their has been gradual improvement in some areas though.

Its been frustrating with some narrow defeats because you could only think of what if.

But if you get pumped by 10-15 goals each week, you can admit you are a long way off.

Again, if freo get 10 or 11 wins at the end of the season. Again, its a what if we won all those close games.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Their has been gradual improvement in some areas though.

Its been frustrating with some narrow defeats because you could only think of what if.

But if you get pumped by 10-15 goals each week, you can admit you are a long way off.

Again, if freo get 10 or 11 wins at the end of the season. Again, its a what if we won all those close games.

Nah close loses / close wins what’s the difference in the long run

No teams getting pumped by 10 every week not even the goldy and every team is competitive some weeks and the good ones most weeks

Not getting a response after the Carlton loss is a worry and if we don’t show something this week the writings on the wall for the big fella

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast

You won 2 of your games via Walters at the death.

I’d say you’ve probably broken even on the close ones.

10-11 wins is where the team is likely at this year. Could be 9, could even be 12. It’s just whether that’s the best you can expect from this squad under Ross Lyon.

For what it’s worth, I think he’ll coach into 2020 - he’s likely to bring a few down with him when he does go so I have a feeling there won’t be hasty decisions made at the end of the season.

Unless of course Carlton are going to pay him way too much for way too long. Then things might get interesting (more likely Brad Scott’s job though I think).

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
You won 2 of your games via Walters at the death.

I’d say you’ve probably broken even on the close ones.

10-11 wins is where the team is likely at this year. Could be 9, could even be 12. It’s just whether that’s the best you can expect from this squad under Ross Lyon.

For what it’s worth, I think he’ll coach into 2020 - he’s likely to bring a few down with him when he does go so I have a feeling there won’t be hasty decisions made at the end of the season.

Unless of course Carlton are going to pay him way too much for way too long. Then things might get interesting (more likely Brad Scott’s job though I think).

Beat the saints by 5 points
Beat the lions by 1 point
Beat the magpies by 4 points

Lost to the suns by 3 points
Lost the derby by 13 points
lost to the crows by 17 points
lost to the bombers by 8
lost to melbourne by 14
lost to carlton by 4 points

yep broken even on close games.....

PorcelainBus

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Freo, swan districts
Be interested to know what anyone posting on this thread thinks would happen to Lyon if he was sacked by Freo tomorrow????
Don't think Carlton or Norf or Gold Coast would be interested?

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
He won't be sacked going by Peter Bells interview on 6pr the other night, he is as safe as houses, Belly even trotted out the same lines as Ross Lyon does in the after match press conference. He seems to have some sort of spell over the Freo board, i can see an extension coming on for him.

If they miss the finals this year, that will be four years without finals, that is a pretty damning stat whichever way you want to spin it.

Back