Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

PorcelainBus

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Freo, swan districts
Just on the umpiring, Freo’s Defence and West Coast’s attack are the same area of the ground. The area most of the match was played in. Kind of makes sense really doesn’t it??
Actually think Freo had more inside 50's - so no - was played a lot in Freo's forward half?

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
The loss of Lachie Neale was a disaster for Freo. Fyfe is carrying the load in the midfield on his own. The club have recruited really well in the last couple of years with Lobb, Hogan, Conca, Cerra and Brayshaw. They need 2 A grade mids eg Kelly, Coniglio if they are going to play in finals.
Once Neale left, all the Freo faithful thought Blakely would step in and take his spot. On Saturday, we have Blakely to cover. For some strange stubborn reason, he’s still playing half back. Still don’t know why, it’s a mystery. Cerra naturally is a midfielder, plays half forward.
We have the cattle to play midfield and help Fyfe, but for whatever reason they’re allergic to the middle.

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings

You seriously couldn't make this sh*t up. What are you gonna do, Ross? Stamp your feet and hold your breath? Pull Fyfe from the team?

A-grade muppet. You couldn't have painted a bigger target on your best player's back with a paintbrush.

Did you actually bother to look at what he said during the conference post match or are you just having a shot at him based off an article with words like "threaten" and "suck it up princes" "deflect from the loss"?? Do you not bother to research a little or just follow whatever some rag says which is totally out of context. Here let me quote what Lyon actually said.

Did he deflect the loss? No. He talked about it

Ross what are your thoughts on the game?
I sit here really disappointed. We came down with a real purpose and I thought we were well in the game. I thought we had momentum in the third quarter. I thought we were getting over the top and then inexplicitly some real basic fundamentals of not getting off the mark and kicking into the man on the mark and turning the ball over. I think they kicked three quick goals to poor execution. Then it became 21 points quick, it’s sort of been the tale of the tape a little bit, so we spoke about the improvement required in that area. The ability to gain entries off possession was strong. Our ability to finish and score was poor again, it’s becoming a pattern that we thought earlier in the year we clearly got on top of. That’s a real frustration with some unpredictability with the youth. We spoke about fighting hard and not regressing. We felt like we made some real improvements as a team and as a club but the last four weeks have been very inconsistent and frustrating. We just want to fight and get back on the winning list and improve.

In terms of the Fyfe stuff I honestly think he was just having a dig at some of the other players who need to lift their overall game and ensure they start to protect their own, that doesn't mean he's saying go bash blokes (Ken Hinkley hello) but I think he's right, Freo need to be stronger around the contest and not allow teams to push them over. Although we have 300 game Mundy, 200 Game S.Hill and 150 game Fyfe in the team, that's it, the rest is extremely young and inexperienced and Ross thinks they need a kick up the bum.

This pretty much sums up what is happening this year, pretty easy to understand if you actually understand football in the slightest.

Have your forwards going down been your biggest issue over the past month?
No, I think it’s been our ability to defend, poor turnovers have hurt us on transition. People who were in really good form have tailed off a little bit, so we need to fight to get our form back as a club. There is no isolating of individuals, we need to protect our own, we need to become a tougher club and a tougher team, a bit more ruthless. We are maybe a bit too nice at the minute, but I think that it something I can help coach.

He is leading really well, it’s not all about Nat. But I think that’s the real point, we need more people to step up and earlier in the year we had a really even spread of contributors, and we need that again. Until we get that we are going to be in game but not getting across the line.

Here is the full transcript fyi, took all of 20 seconds to find the page with some basic understanding of how websites work.

In terms of the Fyfe stuff I honestly think he was just having a dig at some of the other players who need to lift their overall game and ensure they start to protect their own, that doesn't mean he's saying go bash blokes (Ken Hinkley hello) but I think he's right, Freo need to be stronger around the contest and not allow teams to push them over.

With Fyfe on such a hot streak and taking those grabs did you think of starting him forward in the third quarter was that a gamble?
We just thought that the mix in the third quarter we were right on top and Fyfe was a part of that. We had real opportunities, I think he got checked off the ball heavily and I think he got a couple of free-kicks but we’d like him to be looked after more. We’ll probably have to take it in to our own hands if he doesn’t start getting looked after. I don’t say that lightly but I probably had enough of it. He’s a midfielder/forward, we’d love to have three of him but we don’t.

How do you interpret the italicised section? Genuine question.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Did you actually bother to look at what he said during the conference post match or are you just having a shot at him based off an article with words like "threaten" and "suck it up princes" "deflect from the loss"?? Do you not bother to research a little or just follow whatever some rag says which is totally out of context. Here let me quote what Lyon actually said.

Did he deflect the loss? No. He talked about it

In terms of the Fyfe stuff I honestly think he was just having a dig at some of the other players who need to lift their overall game and ensure they start to protect their own, that doesn't mean he's saying go bash blokes (Ken Hinkley hello) but I think he's right, Freo need to be stronger around the contest and not allow teams to push them over. Although we have 300 game Mundy, 200 Game S.Hill and 150 game Fyfe in the team, that's it, the rest is extremely young and inexperienced and Ross thinks they need a kick up the bum.

This pretty much sums up what is happening this year, pretty easy to understand if you actually understand football in the slightest.

Here is the full transcript fyi, took all of 20 seconds to find the page with some basic understanding of how websites work.

The f*ck? Did YOU actually bother to read the article? Your coach LITERALLY SAID "I think he (Fyfe) got checked off the ball heavily and I think he got a couple of free-kicks but we’d like him to be looked after more". He is TELLING THE UMPIRES to pay Fyfe more free kicks cause he is copping opposition attention off the ball, and he doesn't like it.

So now that Lyon has had his cry to the media about how his superstar player is being treated unfairly what message do you think that sends to opposition players? That they should lay off the curly-haired wunderkind and let him rack up 40 possies and 4 goals a game? No! They've been told loud and clear that the attention Fyfe gets upsets both him and the coach, and it will be looked at as a possible strategy to limit his effectiveness. Ross couldn't have f*cked up more if he released a video of himself crying and screaming "LEAVE FYFE ALONE!!!" Why do you think I posted the article in the first place?

F*ck me, comin' at me with that "pretty easy to understand if you actually understand football in the slightest" bullsh*t. Get that backhanded mean girls sh*t out of here.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
How do you interpret the italicised section? Genuine question.

The important part there is "We'd like him to get looked after more, We'll probably have to take it into our own hands." I interpret that as actually being strong around the contest and protecting Fyfe from other plays targeting him. Does that mean illegally bashing blokes, no. Does that mean blocking and bumping other players within the rules and making our team accountable on the field for their team. Yeah I think so.

The f*ck? Did YOU actually bother to read the article? Your coach LITERALLY SAID "I think he (Fyfe) got checked off the ball heavily and I think he got a couple of free-kicks but we’d like him to be looked after more". He is TELLING THE UMPIRES to pay Fyfe more free kicks cause he is copping opposition attention off the ball, and he doesn't like it.

So now that Lyon has had his cry to the media about how his superstar player is being treated unfairly what message do you think that sends to opposition players? That they should lay off the curly-haired wunderkind and let him rack up 40 possies and 4 goals a game? No! They've been told loud and clear that the attention Fyfe gets upsets both him and the coach, and it will be looked at as a possible strategy to limit his effectiveness. Ross couldn't have f*cked up more if he released a video of himself crying and screaming "LEAVE FYFE ALONE!!!" Why do you think I posted the article in the first place?

F*ck me, comin' at me with that "pretty easy to understand if you actually understand football in the slightest" bullsh*t. Get that backhanded mean girls sh*t out of here.

So much anger over a conversation about Fyfe and Freo. Are you ok there champ? See the above answer which applies to what you are asking me also.

It's nice to see opposition supporters care so much about football, but I worry about you if it brings so much anger out. Have a nice day mate.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
So much anger over a conversation about Fyfe and Freo. Are you ok there champ? See the above answer which applies to what you are asking me also.

It's nice to see opposition supporters care so much about football, but I worry about you if it brings so much anger out. Have a nice day mate.

So you play the man and not the ball, eh? Maybe you'd be more comfortable on your own board when discussions about Ross come up.

Have a sweet one too, champ.

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
So you play the man and not the ball, eh? Maybe you'd be more comfortable on your own board when discussions about Ross come up.

Have a sweet one too, champ.

Well its a combination isn't it, around the contest blocking for Fyfe when he needs it, winning the ball so we're not relying on him all the time which means he can rest forward/bench. I'm not saying go and belt blokes but you do need to be physically strong around the ground otherwise we'll just continue the downward spiral that's happening.

I'm comfortable here so that's a weird bow to draw. I mean using caps to portray some "yelling" and "f off" and all that. Pot Kettle mate.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Does anyone want Ross? So glad weve never had him as coach. Just a boring coach.
I personally have enjoyed most of the Ross Lyon period of 2012-19.
Actually, as a North fan, I will as you this question. What's your. Thoughts on the Scott's period at North. An interesting 10 year run. Being middle of the ladder and with a few finals wins.

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Another caretaker coach another likely win at the Saints. Surely the Dockers board would be taking notice of what a bit of freshness brings the playing group.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Another caretaker coach another likely win at the Saints. Surely the Dockers board would be taking notice of what a bit of freshness brings the playing group.

The win last night ties their hands a little bit even if its something that they've been considering. Fremantle are still one win outside of the 8 with all the relevant stats backing up improvement this year (wins, % and losing/winning margins) that's not a formula for sacking a coach with 5 games left in the season.

I'd personally sack him if the club could secure a good option to replace him but that's a fan response, the board has to be better than that. Best we can hope for is that there will be some sort of real review at the end of the season. But even that may be more likely mid 2020.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think Ross is ever going to lead Freo to a premiership. He'd still be worth keeping if he was fostering a great culture. Obviously I don't know the internal culture from the club, but from the outside it doesn't look like it's good. Neale left for a team that finished lower on the ladder, plus there's the sexual harassment allegations. Now rumours of a few players wanting to leave. I reckon Freo should just cut their losses, there are some good WA coaches out there like Sumich and Schofield.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Just when it looked like Lyon might actually be getting it done against all expectations, Freo has hit the wall. With Hogan out their forward line is once again paralyzed. They'd have won Saturday's game with ease in early June, against the youngest Swans team in more than 20 years.

Still, it's a tough competition and I think they've shown a little improvement in 2019.

Last edited:
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I don't think Ross is ever going to lead Freo to a premiership. He'd still be worth keeping if he was fostering a great culture. Obviously I don't know the internal culture from the club, but from the outside it doesn't look like it's good. Neale left for a team that finished lower on the ladder, plus there's the sexual harassment allegations. Now rumours of a few players wanting to leave. I reckon Freo should just cut their losses, there are some good WA coaches out there like Sumich and Schofield.

I personally dont mind the Ross Lyon rebuild to be honest.... If its judged on the wins and loss record since round 1, 2016, then fair enough it has been bad. The best case scenario in this 2016-2020 rebuild was the flag obviously. the worse case scenario was going through a mark neeld type run and have the confidence sucked out and put the team back another 5 years.

I have always have a soft spot for brisbane.

People say the most important person in Brisbanes history is either Leigh Matthews or Michael Voss.

I say Robert Walls and here is why.....

You go look back at his Brisbane era from 1991-5. Back in 1991, Brisbane were a total mess on and off the field. Robert Walls helped turn the ship around.

By the end of 1995, Brisbane made finals with an exciting team playing attacking footy.

He laid the foundations of that 2001-3 Brisbane Premiership side.

People bag out Justin Lepitsch for being a bad coach. year 15 or so wins in 3 years. Look back at the 2014-16 period and think of the guys that had debuts games under him. Those 18-21 year olds back in 2014-15, are the 23-25 year olds spear heading the current exciting brisbane side you see now.

Again, I got laughed at for "accepting" freo not making finals for 4 years in a row.

Again, those 18-20 year olds we got back in 2016 in Logue, Cox, Darcy, Ryan, McCarthy, Duman, Nyuhuis are the 22-24 years olds leading the way this season and next season.

Back