Official Club Stuff Fremantle Annual Members' Meeting - It's A Festivus For The Rest Of Us

Are you planning to attend the Freo Annual Members Meeting?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

1636596924914.png

Hi all,

Like me, if you're a Freo member you would have received an email recently from Cockburn HQ announcing that Order 66 Article 46 of the Constitution has been invoked that calls for the annual Fremantle Members' Meeting to take place at the Esplanade Hotel in Freo on Tuesday 23rd November, beginning at 6:30pm (doors open at 5:45pm).

According to the email:

"This is an exclusive opportunity to hear from selected players and officials, including president Dale Alcock, chief executive officer Simon Garlick and executive general manager - football Peter Bell, as well as interact with fellow members."

It goes on to say that the order of business will be:
  • Welcome by President Dale Alcock​
  • Club update by CEO Simon Garlick
  • Football update by EGM Football Peter Bell​
  • Player and Coach interviews​
  • The Airing of Grievances​
  • Question time​
  • The Feats of Strength by Sean Darcy
  • Close of meeting​
  • Fellowship​
Given I'm on the other side of the country and am not actually allowed to enter WA, I'm unfortunately unable to attend. So I thought I'd open it up to the board to see who among us are looking to go. Doesn't need to be a board meet up as such, but I'm curious nonetheless.

I also have a couple of things to run up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd love for someone to report back to us here on the BF board about what took place. Who said what, how do the players look now that skinfold tests aren't a thing any more, how do Messers Alcock/Garlick/Bell present, what questions were asked & what grievances were aired, did anyone manage to pin Sean Darcy during the Feats of Strength, did anyone let loose after the meeting? That sort of thing. If you're interested in being an unofficial Freo BF board reporter for the night then please shout out.

The other thing that's come to mind is whether we want to collate a list of questions from those on the BF board who can't attend, and whether anyone is willing to ask them on our behalf? That may be more of a long shot, but I thought it may be worth considering. Personally I'd love to hear the brains trust's thoughts on how the club can better service interstate/overseas members & fans.

What do you all think?

Cheers,

Bob.

ignoramus

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wouldn't mind attending, but the fact that it's a Tuesday night has put me off. Admittedly, I can't think of any other day/time that would be more appealing, so maybe it's the fact that it's in Fremantle — which is only appropriate, of course, but I'd be much more inclined to go if it was just down the road from me.

Also: there's no mention whatsoever of Gage Road beers and Hay Shed Hill wines in that email. I'm assuming that will help deter attendees.

How long have they got set aside for the airing of grievances? I have a lot of problems with those people, now they are going to hear about it!

Saying that, I don't think the feats of strength will last too long if we are going up against the ruck dog.

The most important question, though, is are the club bringing the festivus pole or do we have to bring our own?

How long have they got set aside for the airing of grievances? I have a lot of problems with those people, now they are going to hear about it!

Saying that, I don't think the feats of strength will last too long if we are going up against the ruck dog.

The most important question, though, is are the club bringing the festivus pole or do we have to bring our own?
All good questions... I'll ask for you.

1636610972293.png

Is it an open invite or only those who are official members for the 2021 season?
Looks like it's eligible club members only which, according to the email: "Under the Constitution, Eligible Club Members able to attend are defined as 2021 financial Club members over 18 years of age".

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
So how was it? Did anyone go? Besides the fact we’re winning a premiership in the next four years, were there any other highlights?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Arsenal, Vikings.
So how was it? Did anyone go? Besides the fact we’re winning a premiership in the next four years, were there any other highlights?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nothing much else of note, apart from the fact we will not be needing any financial support. Aim to have $5mil in reserve by 2025.

Also aim to have 80000 members and average 50000 at our games (6000 for AFLW games) By 2025.

Thought it all was organised very well and feel there is a quiet confidence in the admin and the players.

Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Arsenal, Vikings.
Nothing much else of note, apart from the fact we will not be needing any financial support. Aim to have $5mil in reserve by 2025.

Also aim to have 80000 members and average 50000 at our games (6000 for AFLW games) By 2025.

Thought it all was organised very well and feel there is a quiet confidence in the admin and the players.

Also no hint of who we are drafting tomorrow, though the word “character“ was repeated often re players we are looking at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SiempreFreo

All Australian
Sep 29, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Players briefly interviewed at Meeting last night were Serong, Young, Clark and Schultz. Seems the others welcomed Clark to their own unofficial early training sessions. This young cohort presented as focussed and determined. Great to see.

The Strategic Plan was extremely well presented by Garlick. That he could rattle through its key points and still hold the full-house audience reflected well on both him and the plan. It has ultra-bold goals - good luck with those but fortune favours the brave they say - and tells what Bob Murphy would call a Big Narrative. Give it a read.

JL poked a bit of fun at himself and is starting to turn 'lost for words' into 'firm and simple'. Bob Murphy and Jaymie Graham both projected as happy to be on board.

Peter Bell was asked what the club made of its abysmal injury rates in 2021. He noted several inherited/long-standing injuries over which the club had had less control but said the soft-tissue injuries were a definite concern. The club had however changed some personnel and treatment approaches during the year, and this had at least resulted in much less recurrence of soft-tissue problems than in the past.

There was a general sense that the club is getting its house in order.

Back