Fremantle are set to break VFL/AFL record for most Aboriginal players in a side with eight.

Remove this Banner Ad

WeaselWJ

All Australian
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
With Fremantle bringing in Jon Griffin for Aaron Sandilands, the total number of indigenous players in their 22 on Saturday against Adelaide will be eight:

1. Michael Johnson

2. Michael Walters

3. Stephen Hill

4. Brad Hill

5. Jon Griffin

6. Joel Hamling

7. Danyle Pearce

8. Brady Grey

Apt that it's on Indigenous Round that the record is broken.

The record was previously 7, shared by both Port Adelaide and Fremantle. Fremantle first played 7 indigenous players (Troy Cook, Jeff Farmer, Antoni Grover, Roger Hayden, Des Hedland, Steven Koops and Dion Woods) in Round 7, 2003. I'm not sure for Port Adelaide. Fremantle are a chance to break their own new record again this season, with best-22 players Alex Pearce and Harley Bennell currently missing due to injuries.

It think it's interesting that some clubs seem to often have a lot of Aboriginal players and some regularly have few over their history. Could there be any reason for this or just coincidence? I've always been proud of our indigenous history, feel free to share and discuss your club's as well.

I'm sure as hell proud of our history in regards to Indigenous Footballers and I think some other teams could learn from our example.

With Fremantle bringing in Jon Griffin for Aaron Sandilands, the total number of indigenous players in their 22 on Saturday against Adelaide will be eight:

1. Michael Johnson

2. Michael Walters

3. Stephen Hill

4. Brad Hill

5. Jon Griffin

6. Joel Hamling

7. Danyle Pearce

8. Brady Grey

Apt that it's on Indigenous Round that the record is broken.

The record was previously 7, shared by both Port Adelaide and Fremantle. Fremantle first played 7 indigenous players (Troy Cook, Jeff Farmer, Antoni Grover, Roger Hayden, Des Hedland, Steven Koops and Dion Woods) in Round 7, 2003. I'm not sure for Port Adelaide. Fremantle are a chance to break their own new record again this season, with best-22 players Alex Pearce and Harley Bennell currently missing due to injuries.

It think it's interesting that some clubs seem to often have a lot of Aboriginal players and some regularly have few over their history. Could there be any reason for this or just coincidence? I've always been proud of our indigenous history, feel free to share and discuss your club's as well.
How many from the academy?

tumblr_inline_nvdzh6HSEu1qepjjt_400.jpg

Good achievement, Freo from the get-go have always had a lot of indigenous talent on the list

We won't be seeing anyone from that for at least another two years I think.

That's how far away the only promising eligible player so far is at the moment iirc.
Ahhh
Excuse my ignorance. Great effort in the indigenous round in any case

Fantastic stuff Fremantle.
Always had indigenous stars all over the park.

I'm not an overly 'PC' person, but whenever I
see somebody comment on the colour of somebody's skin and say "this person is aboriginal?" I cringe so hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of curiosity How many generations until your not technically classified as "Indiginous" anymore?

What do you mean? Do people just stop 'feeling' indigenous because they look in the mirror and see white skin? Who's classifying people as aboriginal or not? What is this generational horse s**t?

Out of curiosity How many generations until your not technically classified as "Indiginous" anymore?

As much as this is an area that should to be treaded carefully and sensitively it is a discussion that needs to be had with the Indigenous academies starting up.

Would be rough if we had the AFL tell some kids they 'weren't indigenous enough' to be involved.

I don't think it's right for people to just write off an indigenous participation achievement like the one listed above. Don't forget, indigenous people only make up around 2% of the population in this country so it really is a testament to their natural ability to play this great game. Earlier this year it was revealed that the Gold Coast's Steven May became just the sixth indigenous player of all-time to captain a VFL/AFL club, which is quite astounding when you think about all the great champions of years gone by.

It's important to RECOGNISE.

I don't think it's right for people to just write off an indigenous participation achievement like the one listed above. Don't forget, indigenous people only make up around 2% of the population in this country so it really is a testament to their natural ability to play this great game. Earlier this year it was revealed that the Gold Coast's Steven May became just the sixth indigenous player of all-time to captain a VFL/AFL club, which is quite astounding when you think about all the great champions of years gone by.

Yup. 8 out of their 22 will be aboriginal people Fantastic stuff.

Mate relax. I mean for things such as the new indigenous academies and all that stuff. Or even when A government form asks if your aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
No need to get angry

The only thing that matters if you're accepted by your indigenous community as an aboriginal person and if you yourself identify as an indigenous person. Even then, there's a lot of people that spend their lives fighting to be recognised as an aboriginal people, because the entire community is not represented.

As long as they identify as indigenous and have the ancestry. You do not even need to be a genetic son to qualify for father/son.

But remember as Micky O said, it's not just about natural ability. The players worked as hard as anyone else to get where they are today.

I've always been proud of North's indigenous players, past and present. It is good that we can celebrate what they have brought to the game, it hasn't been an easy road for them in the AFL but I think they have made the game and Australia a better place for it. Well done to Fremantle for giving so many of them a go, I wish we could get more at my club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back