Fremantle are the Sleeper team of 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to think you're right, but I doubt it.

This all seems to have come off 1 practice match. We were pretty ordinary against an understrength Adelaide 2 weeks before, and nothing special against an understrength West Coast a week before in the lockout game.

I'm happy with where the team is going, but we're not going to be contending this year, and probably not next year either. An outside finals chance if we can have a good injury run.

Very impressive in JLT, saw their new ball movement plan and its cyril rioli exciting.

Added Wilson, Pearce (touted as future captain) and the improved Ryan in defense, plus Taberner coming on with Matera to support.

Neale had groin issues all last year (plus 3 surgeries in pre season) and Fyfe wasn't at his best, now he is. Blakely was in AA form for about half a season last year, as was Walters. They have a top 5 midfield.

Andrew Brayshaw = Joel Selwood 2007

RTB can get the best out of a list, the 2014 GF team had a lot limited players turned solders. Best record in the AFL for close games.

Fremantle will make top 8 this year.

I think we might get jumped by Port early but then steady to hold our own and may be win the remaining game even if we dont get the points in the end. That would be an acceptable result imo

I like what they're doing and I think they'll improve on last year, but I'm not sure they'll do enough to play finals in 2018.

Having had a quick glance I reckon they can win 10 or so games this year, which I suspect most of their fans would be pretty happy with.

Future telling in footy is nonsense. Just appreciate the athletic contest for what it is.

Ross took over in 2012 when Fremantle has lost the last 6 games by an average of 59 points. But we were right on the verge of winning a flag. Righto.

I agree with you, Lyon coached two otherwise average teams to Grand Final appearances.

This year he will have a genuinely elite midfield, with two more potentially very good midfielders added in. They have a line-up through the centre that would be the envy of a lot of AFL teams:

C: Hill, Mundy, Hill
R: Sandilands, Fyfe, Neal

Add to that Brayshaw (could be the pick of the draft) and Walters rotating through and baby, you've got a stew going.

Unlikely this year I think. Hopefully Fyfe has a good season, I love watching him play. A big test for them will be round 1. I expect Port to win by 40+ but if Freo are at least competitive they might be in for a decent year.

They lack a decent enough forward line to push high up the ladder, but they've done some recent good work with their midfield recruiting, they could always do with more class though. The backline is decent enough, but if they are relying on Johnson still, that's a bit of a worry.

Fremantle will win their first flag in 2023. The numbers don't lie.

1993 - AFL announced Fremantle as the next team to join the league (essentially creating the campaigners)
2003 - Fremantle's first finals series
2013 - Fremantle's first grand final

2023 is the Doomsday year, people. At least we have 5 years left to enjoy.

They lack a decent enough forward line to push high up the ladder, but they've done some recent good work with their midfield recruiting, they could always do with more class though. The backline is decent enough, but if they are relying on Johnson still, that's a bit of a worry.
Agree our forward line is ordinary.

Class isn't our problem. We have quite a few skillful players these days. Granted some of isn't mature yet but it is definitely there.

Also check our board - most would prefer Logue (injured) over Johnno. I tend to think Johnson is still valuable as an instructor to our very young backline but we don't rely on his ability anywhere near as much as we used to (which is good because he is not as good as he used to be).

We could be a "sleeper" but I suspect that would require a very favourable injury run (including getting Harley on the field).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle will win their first flag in 2023. The numbers don't lie.

1993 - AFL announced Fremantle as the next team to join the league (essentially creating the campaigners)
2003 - Fremantle's first finals series
2013 - Fremantle's first grand final

2023 is the Doomsday year, people. At least we have 5 years left to enjoy.
The real excitement would be a mining boom at the same time.
Then we would have feral bogans going at it from both ends of the west.

I agree with you, Lyon coached two otherwise average teams to Grand Final appearances.

This year he will have a genuinely elite midfield, with two more potentially very good midfielders added in. They have a line-up through the centre that would be the envy of a lot of AFL teams:

C: Hill, Mundy, Hill
R: Sandilands, Fyfe, Neal

Add to that Brayshaw (could be the pick of the draft) and Walters rotating through and baby, you've got a stew going.

This is a strong midfield, but it falls short of being elite.

This is a strong midfield, but it falls short of being elite.

Sandilands is one of the greatest rucks of all time.

Fyfe, Neale are elite and you'd be hard pressed to find better genuine wingmen than the Hill brothers. Underrate that midfield unit at your peril.

Sandilands is one of the greatest rucks of all time.

Excuse me?

Fyfe, Neale are elite and you'd be hard pressed to find better genuine wingmen than the Hill brothers. Underrate that midfield unit at your peril.

Fyfe is elite when fit, no doubt about that. Neale is excellent but not elite.

Brad Hill very good but certainly not elite. Stephen isn't at his brother's level.

As I said, it's a strong midfield but not an elite one.

Excuse me?

4x AA
2x B&F

There aren't many rucks who have had the sustained personal success of Sandilands.

Brad Hill very good but certainly not elite. Stephen isn't at his brother's level.

I'd struggle to name many midfield units with the balance of inside/outside capability that Freo have.

Excuse me?

Sandilands is easily at the best level rucks over the last decade and Stephen is a better player than Brad.

Johnson is in change over mode. I reckon you will see Logue fill his shoes by seasons end. Adding Alex Pearce is a massive positive to the backline.

As for forwards, are we still reliant on the big key forward kicking 60 goals, or would 3 or 4 players regularly kicking a goal or two be better ?. That would get 35 - 40 goals for these players.

Freo will continue to develop, but around 10 -12 wins will be a good season.

Sandilands is easily at the best level rucks over the last decade and Stephen is a better player than Brad.

Last decade is a more reasonable comment, but all time? Please.

Stephen might have more talent than Brad but he hasn't shown it consistently enough, with injuries being one reason as to why. I'm not particularly a fan of Brad, but he's performed well consistently for longer than Stephen who has never taken that next step.

Freo don't have the belief required to make finals, the players all know they are bottom 8 and will play to that end.

Last decade is a more reasonable comment, but all time? Please.

Stephen might have more talent than Brad but he hasn't shown it consistently enough, with injuries being one reason as to why. I'm not particularly a fan of Brad, but he's performed well consistently for longer than Stephen who has never taken that next step.
Well Sandilands wins every ruck knock. Isn't that what a ruckman does?

Chris Mayne has been a huge loss for us.
Memo to Collingwood:

upload_2018-3-21_14-5-0.jpeg
26tg2r.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back