AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
The closest Freo will get to using a 1st tall forward is by recruiting another 190cm tall midfielder.

Yeah seems most of the decent tall forwards will be gone by pick 10.

Still.... I think Freo will get a tall forward on the rookie list
And freo did get a tall forward on the rookie list in Josh Traecy

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
All I cared about is hoping that our 1st round pick turns out ok.

I have posted this before and will post it Again....

Freos 1st round picks from 2007-14 is nothing short but disastrous. either injury prone players or average players or players that were talented but didnt have the dedication or talented players with off field problems.

2007: Rhy Palmer (Yep the bloke that won the 2008 rising star over cyril)
2008: Stephen Hill.
2009: Anthony Morabito
2010: Jayden Pitt
2011: Tom Sheridan
2012: Josh Simpson
2013: Michael Apeness
2014: Lachie Weller

fortunately freo have chosen their 1st rounders from 2015 onwards wisely.
Was there a change in recruiting manager? It would be interesting to see the picks as well, pick 17 is very different to pick 3.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
All I cared about is hoping that our 1st round pick turns out ok.

I have posted this before and will post it Again....

Freos 1st round picks from 2007-14 is nothing short but disastrous. either injury prone players or average players or players that were talented but didnt have the dedication or talented players with off field problems.

2007: Rhy Palmer (Yep the bloke that won the 2008 rising star over cyril)
2008: Stephen Hill.
2009: Anthony Morabito
2010: Jayden Pitt
2011: Tom Sheridan
2012: Josh Simpson
2013: Michael Apeness
2014: Lachie Weller

fortunately freo have chosen their 1st rounders from 2015 onwards wisely.

Wouldn't call Weller disastrous. Pushed back our rebuild a bit by wanting to go to GC, but we got Andrew Brayshaw from the investment.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Wouldn't call Weller disastrous. Pushed back our rebuild a bit by wanting to go to GC, but we got Andrew Brayshaw from the investment.
There wasn't many good players available after him.

Only AFL regulars taken in the 30 picks after Weller are Lever, Langford, Toby Mclean, Touk Miller, Brayden Maynard and Jack Steele

Few decent players drafted late.

What Fremantle should do this year is go hard during the trade and free agency period. Get some senior players who are in their prime to complement the young players on your list.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
What Fremantle should do this year is go hard during the trade and free agency period. Get some senior players who are in their prime to complement the young players on your list.
Fremantle has issues fitting all the inside midfielders into the best 22 right now.

Fyfe will play more forward and Walters will play perm forward this year.

If Cripps comes in, Fyfe will be forced play perm forward and other inside mid will need to be played out of position.

Fremantle get killed on the spread. Our coach has improved the structure of the spread but even still we need more players with wheels. Cripps doesn't help with that and he makes it worse.

Serong, Brayshaw, and Cerra are a pretty good centre square for the next 5-10 years.

Spending 10% of the cap on a star who will cause structural issues and cost 2 first round picks plus a player or second round pick, if not a great Moneyball move.

Fremantle need a flat side winger.

Fremantle has issues fitting all the inside midfielders into the best 22 right now.

Fyfe will play more forward and Walters will play perm forward this year.

If Cripps comes in, Fyfe will be forced play perm forward and other inside mid will need to be played out of position.

Fremantle get killed on the spread. Our coach has improved the structure of the spread but even still we need more players with wheels. Cripps doesn't help with that and he makes it worse.

Serong, Brayshaw, and Cerra are a pretty good centre square for the next 5-10 years.

Spending 10% of the cap on a star who will cause structural issues and cost 2 first round picks plus a player or second round pick, if not a great Moneyball move.

Fremantle need a flat side winger.

Freo also need a key forward because Taberner is injury prone and Lobb is overrated. But broadly speaking i agree with you re Freo and Cripps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Freo also need a key forward because Taberner is injury prone and Lobb is overrated. But broadly speaking i agree with you re Freo and Cripps.
I agree that Freo needs a key forward now and another one for the future.

Tracey has been impressing so far but it does take to develop as a tall forward.

I rather save the money on Cripps and target Luke Jackson this year and Logan McDonald the following year. Yes, it’s a risk on young guys but the draft is a greater risk.

Also, Weller is out of contract at the end of this year. While, he is out/side mid we could easier play as a flat side winger.

Bolton is out of contract as well. At the moment he plays in/out mid but seriously he could have outside mid as well. Would help us with spread.

Rivers and Sharp are out of contract as well.

Mayne could be a target as well. Short term for sure but allows the club develop players under him. He loves the club and provide leadership to the young group. Cost very little.

Henry could be moved to a wing and we could target a small forward. Pickett is originally from WA and is out of contract.

All the examples are cheaper in salary and draft picks, fits a need and younger.

We could get three players for the price of Cripps and improve the structure of the team.

Funbeanman

Team Captain
Feb 21, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Treacy might get a debut in round 1 but we do need another tall forward just in case one of tabs, Lobby or Treacy goes down

We should target Alec Waterman in the mid season draft

Treacy might get a debut in round 1 but we do need another tall forward just in case one of tabs, Lobby or Treacy goes down

We should target Alec Waterman in the mid season draft

Sounds like Essendon might list him in the SSP first.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I agree that tarberner is injury Prone. Freo have to settle with Tabs and Lobb for now as FF players.

Fortunately both are 28 years old and have 2-4 solid years of footy left in them. Josh Traecy we got in the Rookie list and he is 194cm.

I am hoping he does well and gets promoted off the rookie list.

Hoping freo use a lte pick or Rookie pick to get a WA KPF.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Treacy will be seen as the absolute steal of the 2020 draft.

Due to no junior footy in Victoria for 2020, I think there will be an above normal amount of “steals” in this draft. The same as there may be more fails.

A lot can change in 12 months (fitness, height, weight & mentally). Vic Draftee’s were being drafted on 2019 form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back