Review Fremantle d Western Bulldogs by 13 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

4 points
Ross Lyon will be looking at this game as a loss in his review I reckon . Some harsh words I think for a few of the boys

Some of the individual brain-fades and bits of decision making were a bit concerning, but we're still winning, and we're still playing better, more consistent footy than most of the guys being put up as our competitors.

Pav - immense, Fyfe - immense, Johnno - immense. Sutcliffe hopefully learns something from being torn a new one by Dixon.

Think there needs to be a discussion about Ballas - did some good things right at the end, but had another absolute nightmare.

We could not keep the ball inside our forward 50 for a lot of that second half, they just rebounded way too easily at times.

The talls created the contest and brought it to ground (though there was certainly a few they could've clunked), but there was no roving and a real lack of our normal pressure.

That's what almost cost us this one - playing into the Doggies hands and allowing them that run off half back.

Still, we got challenged away from home against a good side and came away with the four points. A lot we can learn from this.

Leigh Fisher should never umpire a Freo game ever again. Clearly biased against us and almost costed us the game.

The other umpires weren't too bad, but Fisher is a dead set flog.

Yeah, there were a couple where he literally gave the Bulldogs player a free for being not as strong as the Freo ruckman.

The ******* rules do not say 'give a free kick to the ruckman who gets outmuscled because it isn't fair when someone is stronger than someone else'. WTF.

Did lol at that deliberate too, that was suuuper soft. The forward doesn't get that paid against them in that situation, why should the defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some brilliant passages of play by us, but then we fall into a hole while our skills and decision making drop off just a fraction, we get fumbly and sloppy and that critical fumble or dropped mark sees the turnover and opposition goal. I know we can't keep up the manic pressure for 4 quarters, but why does our skill level and decision making drop?

What we learned is that Suban is back to his true form.

We really needed a Mzungu/MTB out there towards the end. Duffield as the sub was a complete fail, as he just isn't that type of impact player.

It's the break that concerns me, we don't have much of a break here, and the dogs front running smalls were always going to find space if we went into that stroll in space style.

I think the way the Bulldogs play is the most dangerous to us. They are really quick and if they hit a target when they just go straight forward, there is zero time to zone up and you end up with two KPFs one on one with a defender. I can see how they beat Sydney.

It plays into how accurate they were in front of goals too, because they are not under pressure and can run to 35ish.

Some of our players were exposed again, most notably Barlow Suban and Ballantyne, But tbh the dogs accuracy was mostly the only thing keeping them in it, you won't expect many teams to kick 14.4. I felt like we were the better team overall despite the close scoreline.

I thought this was a game saved by individual performances.

Fyfe, MJ, PAV - this trio saved us. Kudos to Walters for his poise in kicking the sealer.

Another good game by my man C. Pearce. 25 possessions & a goal.

Sheridan - was he the sub and not Suban? It looked like it. A poltergeist after half time. He did some good things, that tackle on Jong being one, a few bursts of speed here and there, but if Freo has a fade out problem then Sheridan is not the antidote!

Who was on Dickson? Sutty? Control Dickson and the game would never have been so close, he almost single-handedly destroyed us, even if many of his goals were due to fortunate positioning.

On a neutral level though it was an awesome game to watch - the best of the season IMO. I love the fact Freo never gives up: in this regard the Dogs matched us, good for them. But we nearly always find a way these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back