Autopsy Fremantle defeat Saints by 30pts

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll that was underwhelming.

Positives
1) Been said to death but loving Cerra and Brayshaw, getting better every game. Can see they are in dire need of better fitness and muscle size respectively but watch out when they do.
2) Fyfe, nothing more needed.
3) DP and Johnson (even with some major **** ups) were good and had a positive effect.
4) We won.
5) I do think there is something there with Cox. As Ysaye has said in other posts, he doesnt get to enough contests. Without watching enough live I cant tell if that is fitness or laziness but going to be positive and assume fitness. When he does get to a contests he generally makes good things happen

Negatives
1) I'm not sold on Banfield or Crowden. I think they have similar but different problems from what i see. Crowden tries too much and the pace is currently too much for him. This can be worked on. Banfield is just too slow in thinking and actions. For a player his size he seems unable to get ball to hand or foot with any speed. I don't know if he will ever be able to think and act fast enough to be good player at AFL level.
2) Good teams are able to compete when not played on their terms. We just seem to completely fall apart when plan A falls through.
3) Turnovers were disgusting and we are lucky the Saints are diabolically bad
4) Someone said after a diff game but I noticed it here after watching other games. We have too many handball 1m away that do nothing but slow us down and cause more pressure. The handball outside the contest to someone outside the immediate pressure zone is vital and we just dont do it enough

Last edited:
On Crowden, he has speed but he is just trying too much at the moment; the fend offs and tackle breaking he did at lower levels do not work at this level and he will never be able to make it work because he is one of the smallest guys in the afl. He tries really hard but atm it is annoying that he is not getting that he needs to simplify his game a bit.

Having said that, I think he can bring it all together snd be dangerous but it will take time.

Thought Cox didn't work hard enough and actually resulted in a heap of ball ups where we had Fyfe or other rucking, and the missed easy goals just kill a team's confidence.

Title needs to be: Saints lose to freo by kicking crap

Damn we play some ugly footy, our structure melts at the slightest bit of pressure, saints real poor kicking on goal was why we won.

Loved the effort from Langdon, Brayshaw and Cerra. Fyfe is Fyfe....

I officially have the biggest flog of all time sitting behind me and it will get ugly before the season is finished.

I've discovered that the downside of sitting near the back of a row level 1, is that opposition punters stand behind you with their beers trying to stir up the fans sitting in front of them :p

Crowden was so frustrating to watch , almost every time he was caught holding the ball his hands were free to handball but continuted to try break the tackle. Did not learn from his mistakes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just throwing out there but the amount of times Fyfe dropped teammates into the s**t from his handballs was unreal. While he certainly accumulated the footy, his disposal was hardly perfect tonight.

Yeah noticed this too. Either too high, or at their feet.

Let's see how the denizens of Bigfooty decide to skew this one into another apocalyptic loss.

Not this week. But worried a bit about next week if this is what we dish up ;)

Any thoughts on Matera guys? Thought he has been great since coming across, can’t wait for him to have that one breakout game
Been a great pickup. Still young and missed a lot of footy through through injury so his potential to improve with a decent run at it is significant.
What I like most is he's smart and thinks his way through situations. Good skills, is evasive and gets through traffic well. Knows when to lead up.
I think he's an important part of the jigsaw that is a good AFL team.

Thought Cox didn't work hard enough and actually resulted in a heap of ball ups where we had Fyfe or other rucking, and the missed easy goals just kill a team's confidence.

And yet Ross said he was great in his press conference...

That said, he was unusually full of praise in his conference today.

Crowden was so frustrating to watch , almost every time he was caught holding the ball his hands were free to handball but continuted to try break the tackle. Did not learn from his mistakes.

Then has 3 really good bits of play in the last where it resulted in a goal.

It’ll come but he could do with a spell.
Don’t know what has happened to the Cox from last year that hit packs and had sticky hands.

Few times I swore he had no idea about how to read the flight of the ball and/or tried to mark wth his hands two feet apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seemed to own the corridor in the first half. Saints fixed that after halftime then we switched to a wider game plan by foot. Chipped it around in the last with no one leading up or running past. Missed wilson and hill. Wasnt the most entertaining game this round thats for sure.

What a s**t game. Take the 4 points, but not much else.

I didn't think Fyfe was that great IMO, he sold plenty of his teammates into trouble with bad handballs. Maybe it's the high bar I set.
I can't see how we can keep playing Matera, Ballantyne and Crowden in the same team. With our game plan of bombing it into the forward line, at least one of them needs to be replaced by players that can actually put up a contest in the air.

Awful game of football as has been said. Brisbane would have beaten us tonight.
WE MUST KEEP CERRA. I didn't give him votes but IMO he is the most promising youngster we have had for many years.
D Pearce was good, FMD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back