Autopsy Fremantle defeat Saints by 30pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. That was his standout point of difference in his draft highlights. As his awareness improves he'll break free more and more.

If he stops doing that he'll quickly become a very run of the mill player with only a pressure game to show. It's frustrating af but I reckon we just back him in to get better. If in another 20-30 games he's not gotten past this then it we'll reassess.

I got the impression last night that he’d been given license to try and do it as much as he could to get that experience. Best way to learn and I reckon he’ll get it right soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy on the saints board claim Fyfe took out Carlisle on purpose its gotten lots of likes o_O Also saying that these kinda incidents are common with Fyfe:rolleyes:
Fyfe went in to soccor the ball with a deft tap. Did a similar thing to the bont wen he worked mcrae past the ball then went to throw the leg out. Its how he plays he tries to keep the ball moving forward at all times. The knee was purely accidental.

Watching the game live without commentary:

Johnson was good aside from having his kick spoiled.

Duman loses contests very very easily. Needs another 2 years in the gym to compete.

Danyle Pearce was great in the first half but looked cooked half way through the 3rd. Found his rhythm again late. Not surprised he blew up, big step up from WAFL; even for seasoned players.

Fyfe was immense, I didn’t notice the dirty disposal.

Cerra sign him up now, so clean with the ball.

Brayshaw is a bull. So quick aide to side. Can’t wait til he gets some more preseasons under his belt.

Same with Crowden, those holding the balls will become a release to free players. It’s amazing how long it takes AFL players to bring him to ground.

The defense sans Duman looks really solid. Hamling, A.Pearce, Johnson, Ryan, Blakeley, Wilson (instead of Duman) is a solid back 6.

Langdon is now a top 10 player at our club.

Forward line is missing a lot of talent at the moment; I thinking walters, Taberner will slot in nicely soon.

Dardy McCarthy had a stinker, but its because hes playing out of position again. Guy needs to hit the gym though, hes like one of those people that have coasted off of pure talent for a long time and he needs to get in the gym and take that next step.

Watching the game live without commentary:

Johnson was good aside from having his kick spoiled.

Duman loses contests very very easily. Needs another 2 years in the gym to compete.

Danyle Pearce was great in the first half but looked cooked half way through the 3rd. Found his rhythm again late. Not surprised he blew up, big step up from WAFL; even for seasoned players.

Fyfe was immense, I didn’t notice the dirty disposal.

Cerra sign him up now, so clean with the ball.

Brayshaw is a bull. So quick aide to side. Can’t wait til he gets some more preseasons under his belt.

Same with Crowden, those holding the balls will become a release to free players. It’s amazing how long it takes AFL players to bring him to ground.

The defense sans Duman looks really solid. Hamling, A.Pearce, Johnson, Ryan, Blakeley, Wilson (instead of Duman) is a solid back 6.

Langdon is now a top 10 player at our club.

Forward line is missing a lot of talent at the moment; I thinking walters, Taberner will slot in nicely soon.
I think Duman is being played slightly out of position. He is meant to be the Wilson/ Kade Simpson type. Rebounding with run /neat disposal is his go. Getting him to grapple with deep forwards is throwing him to the wolves. Wilson has been caught out doing this a lot too. Griffen vs Wilson vs GWS springs to mind.

Fyfe went in to soccor the ball with a deft tap. Did a similar thing to the bont wen he worked mcrae past the ball then went to throw the leg out. Its how he plays he tries to keep the ball moving forward at all times. The knee was purely accidental.
Yeah looking at it thats exactly what i thought he was trying to do.
As you said does it plenty of times a game both tapping with his feet and hands,to keep the ball moving ,using his insane strength in the contest to buffer off his opponents until hes clear /able to take possession of the ball and use it.

The saints locked down our midfield run in the 2nd half with a simple zone. Coming off half back we couldn't switch play to the opposite side or to the corridor. Just forced a long kick down the line.

Too often when moving the ball up the field we are looking for the focal target instead of the best available option. Cox can't take a screamer although he does crash a pack well. Fyfe is a beast but 2 on 1 in the air and then on ground is an ask. Sandi is too predictable

Need to look at hitting more players on chests and trying to keep possession instead of spraying it then having to work hard to get it back.

Dardy McCarthy had a stinker, but its because hes playing out of position again. Guy needs to hit the gym though, hes like one of those people that have coasted off of pure talent for a long time and he needs to get in the gym and take that next step.

Gym isn't the answer, he is fit enough and strong enough. He just isn't a #1 target and shouldn't be but with our injuries and lack of key forwards he has to be. Having Tabs firing made a huge difference for McCarthy, freeing him up to roam around the ground more instead of being either a) the long kick down the line or b) the main target in the F50 surrounded by about 10 other players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gym isn't the answer, he is fit enough and strong enough. He just isn't a #1 target and shouldn't be but with our injuries and lack of key forwards he has to be. Having Tabs firing made a huge difference for McCarthy, freeing him up to roam around the ground more instead of being either a) the long kick down the line or b) the main target in the F50 surrounded by about 10 other players.

Can't say I agree. Often gets shifted in a one on one duel and gets outmarked and doesn't even split the contest. That's why him sitting in the goal square demanding the ball long is dumb as dogshit play. He's a lead up forward everyday of everyweek. When he does that he's good to great. When he doesn't lead up? Well he's as bad as a contested forward in the game.

He's young but he's missing Taberner no question.

At the SCG he won't touch it unless on the wings. Where we win this game is a dominant midfield and repeat entries and some genuine crumbing type goals. McCarthy needs to bring it to ground.

I think our defense has held up ok considering some of the diabolical turnovers we've had this year. In general play I think we're easily a top 8 team for defense. Our midfield is top 8. Our forward line is a 14-18 type side.

When I punch those random numbers into my prediction calculator it has us sitting 10th.

FMD, I was having the exact same conversation about the defenders with a work colleague during the week. We make their defenders look good without them even trying. Quoted the exact same 3 opponents as well.

There are only a handful of times where the game plan has clicked, the most memorable being;
- Kanags at Etihad circa 2012
- Geelong at the MCG 2012, EF
- Sydney, 2013 PF at Subi
- Collingwood at Etihad season opener 2014
- Eagles a few years back where we were 50-0 up at qtr time
- Carlton game at Etihad where Ballantyne got his shirt ripped off.

Unfortunately, trying to have a rational discussion on game plan, structures etc, with any hint of criticism and you get thrown in with the Negative Nelly's.
Ross' first game as coach against the cats at subi. The one where scarlett sucker punched ballas.

That first qtr was the best footy I had seen us play up until that point.

He is also a good kick at delivering the ball inside 50 to a hit a target, rather than trying to be that target.

Last edited:
People's expectations are a tad too high.
We're in the bottom 4 for age and experience even while still carrying a few oldies who aren't best 18
and we're missing a significant number of players who all possess one of the key elements that are game plan is based on, volume of high speed run.

To be able to execute our gameplan with those conditions for 3 of 4 quarters is ideal.
The same thing happened in reverse last week, the team that played the game their way for longer had only 2 goals kicked on them in the 1st 2nd and 4th.

People envying other clubs rebound need to look a little deeper, North and Hawthorn have consistently been the oldest teams this year and neither have had significant injuries. North's only played 26 different players this year.

Cox looks slow and probably needs to get to more contests but for a 19 year old with 10 games experience to come in and have 2 contested marks, 1 goal and 2 goal assists a game is great and he deserves much more praise than he's getting.

2 Hills, Walters, Wilson, Bennell and Taberner into this team and some time to jell and we're not far off finals.

Did anyone else think Ross’s presser was a bit strange did he have a dig at Eagles drug culture in 2006 and Bomber Thompson at Geelong. Said something in the lines of we want to be a great club on and off the field and that there were a couple of questionable premiership clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back