Autopsy Fremantle defeat Saints by 30pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Technologically illiterate here... is there a way to watch game replays on the Telstra ap? I don't have a tv at the moment and just have devices. Missed the game last night and would like a chance to melt down at a win too.

Technologically illiterate here... is there a way to watch game replays on the Telstra ap? I don't have a tv at the moment and just have devices. Missed the game last night and would like a chance to melt down at a win too.
Download the afl app and login using your phone number. Go to videos, use the filter to pic Freo.

I was really frustrated, almost fuming, last night. Sure we won but it was pretty dismal stuff at times. Without naming any players some general observations:

We look really good on the fast break streaming forward into an open forward line. But we are really s**t at contested footy. Without looking at what the stats say about contested footy but watching the game it is clear we are crap at handpassing our way out of congestion and clearing to the outside. So many times we do the short dinky little 1 and 2 metre handpasses that don't really help us move the ball, they either go to a bloke who is about to get get tackled himself or they bounce of the hands of the receiver who is just a split second too late to react to it and control the ball. Sure it racks up stats for contested possessions but it doesn't really get the ball going our way. So often (and not just last night) there is a loose ball situation where the ball pinballs around through a few sets of Freo hands without anyone really being able to control it, until it ends up in an opposition pair of hands and they clear the ball out of congestion, even though stats wise we racked up a couple of contested handpasses in that passage of play. It seems to be that crowding in effect that others have talked about is still a problem.

We are also very s**t at tackling. But I reckon that is excusable given how many young players we have out there. Just not enough mature bodies.

Thirdly we are so static at times. Bloke has a mark or free kick and looks up and there is no movement ahead of him. Nobody leading up and demanding the ball. They are all standing around waiting to react to the kicker. So he kicks long to a contest and we lose the resulting congestion scramble as describe in the paragraph above. We have so many good young players that should be able to run and lead and get more free-flowing play going.

When we get free flowing play we look dangerous. When we play slow and congested footy we look terrible. Contested footy is our weakness and we should be trying to avoid it by letting the young blokes play with a bit flair and enthusiasm. Right now with this group of players trying to lock the game down doesn't work.

Excellent post. You have comprehended what I could only grasp at.

It’s interesting when people label the ‘game plan’ as being the issue (myself included) when it’s such a broad, sweeping statement - almost as if footy’s a series of NFL plays orchestrated at the huddle.

I’d be curious to know what you think might work as the alternatives - for example, how do we get the ball out in high-pressure situations? The Essendon game was the only time I saw us get it out with lightning speed intensity and we haven’t done it since.

Also, why don’t players lead in the forward line or down the ground? they remain stagnant as you say. You know with Mundy or Wilson with ball in hand they’ll hit their targets 9 times out of 10 - in the exact way Mundy hit Matera on the break with that end to end goal on the weekend.

We seem to have the speed and skill to make it happen, so I hope we don’t revert to our long-bombing and telegraphed style of play that upended us in the latter half of last year.

Just watched the last Q again to see if it got any better with age but we played awful footy.
The only thing that really saved us was fatigue I reckon, the game got so slow and scrappy we were able to hang on & credit to them for sticking at it & even kicking away a bit.
Couldn't believe it at the time and its worse with hindsight, when Cerra gets a free from high contact in the marking contest, the Saints had a run on before then (except Membry kept missing) and the commentators were starting to get excited about an upset and they were suggesting it was a soft free and then the replay clearly shows Cerra (who was rubbing his head going back to the mark) get collected in the side of the face from the spoil and they were still trying to make out the free wasn't there.
A lot of the time its like water of a ducks back but now & then I just get so sick of the bias from the Vic boys club.

I'm being sarcastic.

I said a while ago we would win a final before them and I stand by that

You are actually right - They have been rebuilding way longer.

The amount of players they have in the 50-99 game bracket reflects that. It’s why the AFL media pumped them up last year imo. Large amount of players entering that experience bracket. Problem is there was quantity but not a great deal of high quality.

Blakely, Langdon, A.Pearce and Ryan have all played less than 50 fifty games. They’ve all been in our best players multiple times this year. The stat can be largely irrelevant although I will say that there seems to be a large gap between first year players and those who are a bit older. If the above players are any better when they are in the 50-99 game bracket we’re in for a real treat (especially if we can recruit a forward line) with Brayshaw and Cerra coming in as well.

Just watched the last Q again to see if it got any better with age but we played awful footy.
The only thing that really saved us was fatigue I reckon, the game got so slow and scrappy we were able to hang on & credit to them for sticking at it & even kicking away a bit.
Couldn't believe it at the time and its worse with hindsight, when Cerra gets a free from high contact in the marking contest, the Saints had a run on before then (except Membry kept missing) and the commentators were starting to get excited about an upset and they were suggesting it was a soft free and then the replay clearly shows Cerra (who was rubbing his head going back to the mark) get collected in the side of the face from the spoil and they were still trying to make out the free wasn't there.
A lot of the time its like water of a ducks back but now & then I just get so sick of the bias from the Vic boys club.
It was a good arm chop as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the 2nd half again. Can't say I agree with all of the doom and gloom. Crowden got some red hot HTB against him and he's on his feet trying to run/make the play do he's nowhere near Subans diving on the ball escapades.
Generally our game plan is a bit of a mystery but I think that's due to so many young players being on the team and not yet knowing each others strengths and weaknesses.
I completely agree with Ross in his comparison to WC with our forwards. Cox v Kennedy is a huge difference.
We'll get well beaten next week but the core group of kids would've played some tough footy over the last few weeks and I hope we don't go into our shells at selection.
Ugly win but better than a loss.

Excellent post. You have comprehended what I could only grasp at.

It’s interesting when people label the ‘game plan’ as being the issue (myself included) when it’s such a broad, sweeping statement - almost as if footy’s a series of NFL plays orchestrated at the huddle.

I’d be curious to know what you think might work as the alternatives - for example, how do we get the ball out in high-pressure situations? The Essendon game was the only time I saw us get it out with lightning speed intensity and we haven’t done it since.

Also, why don’t players lead in the forward line or down the ground? they remain stagnant as you say. You know with Mundy or Wilson with ball in hand they’ll hit their targets 9 times out of 10 - in the exact way Mundy hit Matera on the break with that end to end goal on the weekend.

We seem to have the speed and skill to make it happen, so I hope we don’t revert to our long-bombing and telegraphed style of play that upended us in the latter half of last year.

I don't know what Ross and the line coaches emphasize in how they drill in the team tactics. I would just like them to play-on more often, to run and carry, to know where to lead to without blocking up the space. We seem to try and switch the play a lot of the time to by-pass the opposition zone. If they are awake to that and zone off to include the switch then we seem to be bereft of ideas except bomb it long and hope Fyfe gets it. We need to learn how to pick our way through with good short/medium kicks or go run and handpass- basically if we keep the ball moving we keep the opposition zone moving. My plan would be to avoid stoppages, even though that is Fyfe's strong point I don't think it is the team strong point.

So, watching the replay sober I’ve noticed Brennan Cox’s ground-level work a lot more. He really contested nicely and made some great decisions in close. Add one more goal to his junk time goal at the end there and he’s had a really promising game for a young tall.

I don't know what Ross and the line coaches emphasize in how they drill in the team tactics. I would just like them to play-on more often, to run and carry, to know where to lead to without blocking up the space. We seem to try and switch the play a lot of the time to by-pass the opposition zone. If they are awake to that and zone off to include the switch then we seem to be bereft of ideas except bomb it long and hope Fyfe gets it. We need to learn how to pick our way through with good short/medium kicks or go run and handpass- basically if we keep the ball moving we keep the opposition zone moving. My plan would be to avoid stoppages, even though that is Fyfe's strong point I don't think it is the team strong point.

Alex Pearce needs to play on. It infuriates me how long he holds onto the ball when we switch. He lets the defence set up and invariably hacks a kick forward.

So, watching the replay sober I’ve noticed Brennan Cox’s ground-level work a lot more. He really contested nicely and made some great decisions in close. Add one more goal to his junk time goal at the end there and he’s had a really promising game for a young tall.

he was the Freo player that went for the mark and it spilled to Cerra to kick that goal in the 3rd quarter.

Hi guys, congratulations on the win.

I thought some might find these of interest - I take note of the 5 starting mids (3 inside, 2 wings) for each centre bounce to assist in deciding positions for a fantasy football comp I run, previously I've kept these for my own usage, but as every team has youngsters that fans would like to see get more midfield time, I figured I'd make them available this season.

NB> Nothing after the number indicates every start was as an inside mid. Players that played both roles also have their breakdowns indicated

There were 25 centre bounces for the night

Fyfe 23
Langdon 19 wing
Tucker 16 wing
Banfield 16
Neale 14
Mundy 11 (1w)
Brayshaw 10 wing (2i)
D.Pearce 5 (1w)
Cerra 5
Ballantyne 2 (1i, 1w)
Crowden 1 wing
Matera 1

Rucks:
Sandilands 20
Cox 4
Banfield 1

Notes:
Langdon went head to head with Phillips all night.
Brayshaw didn't get a midfield start in the last

When I watch the replay I saw mature St. Kilda players treating some (not all) of our kids like witches hats, I saw Fyfe treat their whole team like witches hats. It wasn’t nearly as bad a game as some were making out. I watched Geelong Collingwood today and the kicking was deplorable, absolutely atrocious, turnover after turnover. Often with minimal pressure. The standard was not dissimilar. The Richmond / North game however was on a different level.

When he’s forced to take the game on he actually looks old a million bucks

Absolutely.
Once he’s fully confident he’ll be an incredible weapon. Instinctively he’s excellent. When he pauses and thinks he’s actually pretty poor.
Logue is similar.
It’s a bit about getting some games up, confidence in the game plan and game situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back