Fremantle Dockers 2018/19 season watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t know much about them and I won’t pretend I do, but I think they’re in a very interesting position developmentally and where they go with a certain game plan under Lyon. We know he is very defensive and builds from the back forward, I like that, but do they have enough A graders on their list? Well you’ve got Fyfe, Neale, Hill (both), Mundy (getting on), Blakely, Walters, and Pearce. That’s reasonable but it needs work.

What’s happened to McCarthy? I rate that guy, a lot, but he needs a big 2018 as I reckon it’s make or break for him. I’ve heard good things about Pearce, how else is the defence shaping up?

I think the big question is whether Lyon can build the list into finals contention by 2020 or they go a different path. He seems perfect for a list ready to challenge, but is he able to rebuild them back into the 8?

Defence looks very good. Looks like the mix between big defenders, small defenders and rebounders is perfect.

Midfield can be outstanding if Fyfe gets back to pre-broken leg form, Bennell gets his stuff together and Mundy, Neale, Brayshaw and Hill bros work well/stay healthy.

Forward line = Work in Progress. Quick transition and quality entry into tbe F50 will be the key and historically that isn't our strong point.

The biggest thing is our defense finally looks balanced, we know from our 2013 tilt that Lyon loves a sound defense, same 6 guys week in week out. I think by the end of the season the Wilson/Ryan combo will be well respected.

Our midfield is highly rated but I have always thought it lacked real two way ability and was a bit small. Brayshaw had the most tackles during the first half of the last JLT game and Blakley taking another step this season will help that, this will give us the Mzungu, Suban or Crowley type (but will more skill) we had in there that were so important during 2013.

I want to believe in Tabs but I just dont yet, and so far other than Bennell McCarthy has been the biggest disappointment for me of our recent recruits. Forward line still seriously suspect for sure.

Our depth in some ways has actually dropped, we have lost a fair few foot soldiers recently, one of which is in another teams leadership group.

Watch out for Tucker emerging and Brayshaw for roughie for best Rookie this year

Last edited:
Honestly I thought they were lucky to win 8 games last year, they went 4-1 in games decided by under a goal. They've got a couple elite players in Fyfe and Neale who when playing well enable them to challenge just about any team, big dropoff after their top 6 or so though. I think they'll do well to match their 2017 output.

I don’t know much about them and I won’t pretend I do, but I think they’re in a very interesting position developmentally and where they go with a certain game plan under Lyon. We know he is very defensive and builds from the back forward, I like that, but do they have enough A graders on their list? Well you’ve got Fyfe, Neale, Hill (both), Mundy (getting on), Blakely, Walters, and Pearce. That’s reasonable but it needs work.

What’s happened to McCarthy? I rate that guy, a lot, but he needs a big 2018 as I reckon it’s make or break for him. I’ve heard good things about Pearce, how else is the defence shaping up?

I think the big question is whether Lyon can build the list into finals contention by 2020 or they go a different path. He seems perfect for a list ready to challenge, but is he able to rebuild them back into the 8?
Freo have a good midfield. The most surprising thing was Freo was ranked 17th in contested possessions. I assumed it was ranked 10th-12th at the worst.

As far as mids.... Fyfe, Neale, Blakely and Mundy are our main inside mids. Brayshaw looks very good in the JLT games. Both Hills are the main outside mids. Langdon rotates wing and half forward flank.

McCarthy had a poor season. He only kicked 25 goals. Why? I partially Blame Ross Lyon for making him a main target. McCarthy thrived as a 2nd or 3rd tall. If Taberner plays all 22 games as our main FF, McCarthy will easily kick 30-35 goals minimum. Ballantyne has Matera as competition for that forward pocket spot in the 22. Freo needs a power forward that is true. But realistically need a 25-30 goal a season ruck forward.

And speaking of ruck stocks.... Sandilands at 35, should be playing his last season. Sean Darcy at 203cm and 110kg is his eventual replacement. Lloyd Meek looks promising in the JLT. Then we have Ruckmen forward stock in 2013 Draftee in Michael Apeness, 2017 draftee in Scott Jones and Rookie listed Luke Strnadica. I hope one of those 3 becomes that 25-30 goal ruck forward freo desperately needs.

As for the back line. Alex Pearce will b very important this season. At 200cm, he will be taking on the ruck forwards such as ben brown and Charlie Dixon. I thought Michael Johnson was done last year, but he looks to have got a year left in him. Hamling was a very good trade. Cox is a Harry taylor type swingman. Hughes, Spurr and GWS recruit Nathan Wilson are our 3 smalls in the back 6

Saw old mate Robert Walls talking about them on Fox, saying how last year they played all the older players and it didn't work then they improved when they brought in the kids. Did that really happen? I'm fairly sure he's just a year behind everyone else. Freo started 2017 6-3 and there were plenty of experienced players in the top 10 of the B&F. Not playing Hill x2, Mundy, Fyfe, Walters, Johnson would just be dumb. Sure a couple of guys fell out of favour but it really didn't go down the way he described.

I reckon they're in the middle third cluster of teams for 2018, 7th-12th. Injuries affect every team at some stage throughout the year but their squad isn't bottom 4 fodder. All things going to plan guys like Tucker, Blakely, McCarthy, Hamling should play their 50th games and a few others like Pearce, Grey, Logue are into their 2nd and 3rd seasons, so they're past that awkward zone of having a whole bunch of 5-10 gamers not knowing what to do. Forward line the biggest weakness with McCarthy and Kersten the main recognised targets. Midfield and defence pretty good.

Also Sean Darcy is the youngest player on the list to have debuted (20 this year) and is 111kg. That's a lot of human.

The JLT match between Freo and Eagles has been taken very seriously by many, it seems.

Yeah I heard from a couple of inside sources that the eagles were actually playing with their shoes laces tied together in order to test balance or something.

Freo were 6-3 after 9 games played last year? WTF Happened after that?

holy s**t turkish.

Ross Lyon got a contract extension after presenting the board they need to tank for a few years, probably the least scrutinized tank in history.

This year should be the year they commit again so they could make finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw old mate Robert Walls talking about them on Fox, saying how last year they played all the older players and it didn't work then they improved when they brought in the kids. Did that really happen?

Yes.

We were all bemoaning the conservative, old team we selected round 1 last year. After we got thumped in the first 2 games we dropped guys like Zac Dawson, Danyle Pearce etc, played the kids and strung a few wins together.

Round 1 2017 team: http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2017/1/fre-v-geel

Dawson, Spurr, Ibbotson, Suban, Griffin are some of the old and not very good players picked for that game. We got thumped, then went in unchanged for round 2 and got thumped again.

The changes came in round 3: Suban, Dawson, Pearce and Griffin were all dropped for young players, and we beat the reigning premiers.

But it looks as though we're again going to select all our ageing players in round 1 this year too.

How’s Griffen Logue looking?

He's been nursing a minor injury, hasn't played since AFLX.

Seems unlikely to get a game early on since Alex Pearce is back. Will need for Michael Johnson to get injured or dropped to force his way into the side.

Yes.

We were all bemoaning the conservative, old team we selected round 1 last year. After we got thumped in the first 2 games we dropped guys like Zac Dawson, Danyle Pearce etc, played the kids and strung a few wins together.

Round 1 2017 team: http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2017/1/fre-v-geel

Dawson, Spurr, Ibbotson, Suban, Griffin are some of the old and not very good players picked for that game. We got thumped, then went in unchanged for round 2 and got thumped again.

The changes came in round 3: Suban, Dawson, Pearce and Griffin were all dropped for young players, and we beat the reigning premiers.

But it looks as though we're again going to select all our ageing players in round 1 this year too.

Fair enough, though Ibbotson did play the first 10 rounds. Spurr played most of the season until the last few. Dropping Griffin was just going back to Sandilands rucking solo, and I'm not sure why Ross Lyon thought a Sandi/Griffin combo was a good idea in the first place. A couple of promising players (Ryan, Darcy) didn't get a look in until after the 6-3 start.

Suban seemed to fall back into favour the second half of the year and I guess Pearce is in the mix while both Hills are out. At least now Suban, Ibbotson, Dawson, Griffin, Clarke are off the list the temptation to go back to those guys won't be there.

Fair enough, though Ibbotson did play the first 10 rounds. Spurr played most of the season until the last few. Dropping Griffin was just going back to Sandilands rucking solo, and I'm not sure why Ross Lyon thought a Sandi/Griffin combo was a good idea in the first place. A couple of promising players (Ryan, Darcy) didn't get a look in until after the 6-3 start.

We brought in Brennan Cox to play the relief ruck role, so Griffin was indeed keeping a young player out of the side.

But yeah, Ibbottson kept Ryan out of the side until around round 10.

We brought in Brennan Cox to play the relief ruck role, so Griffin was indeed keeping a young player out of the side.

But yeah, Ibbottson kept Ryan out of the side until around round 10.

Griffin is an awful second ruck. He's not a great first ruck but at least when he was filling in for Sandilands he could get 30-40 hitouts a game in the middle and compete that way. I think Taberner will go OK. Being a modern day second ruck is mainly about not being a complete gimp around the ground.

My goodness BF is as knee-jerk as they come. We've gone from a bottom 4 lock to potentially making the 8 now (looking at the ladder predictions thread) on the back of one pre-season game against a distinctly mediocre team.

We'll still be very inconsistent this year but I do have faith that we're developing a list capable of contending again in a few seasons.

I must overrate Freo a tad but in my mind they've always been a side on the brink of the 8 with a fully fit Fyfe. If Taberner can have a 'breakout' year with Pearce and Sandilands staying fit I don't see why a top 8 finish isn't possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back