Fremantle Dockers 2018/19 season watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Still can’t believe we played four tall forwards and had Walters as our deepest option. Harbrow had it on a string every time we made a forward movement.

Ross the genius was comprehensively outcoached by a former Clarkson disciple again.

Strange post, they were both completely teams and that game was 8 years ago? How does that have any relevance to this weekend or his post?
With the new Rule anybody can beat anybody if a team overconfident and look down on their opponents. West coast fan should knew about their trip to Brisbane .Home team not just going to let you walk in and dominant without a fight .

Last edited:

I think we're in for a very interesting season, i reckon there will be a few upsets and teams that have slipped under the media's radar will get a chance to shock the system a bit

Rated them as certainties vs Gold Coast, maybe they aren't where I thought they would be but should still improve just not as much as originally thought

Been giving this team a whack for a while now, in may ways deservedly so. However, credit where credit is due.

They were virtually unrecognisable on Sunday. The run and attack was outstanding, 21 goals with a virtual no name forward line and further enhanced by the sheer amount of injuries/suspensions to key players

No close to jumping on them yet, North were dismal and applied little to no pressure. They get a rails run in the first 3 rounds so more willing to judge this team round 4 onwards.

Couldn't have done much more in round 1 in fairness. Good to see Mcarthy play a blinder, he looked like a man on a mission.
I have posted this before and Will post this again.

People have bagged out Ross Lyon on why freo doesn't post high scores in the last 3 years. It was due to not having the quality forwards for the structure and injuries.

Watching the North game I noticed a few things. It took us 2 years for freo to finally play Cam McCarthy to his strengths. In that 2015 season when he was with the GWS Giants, he kicked 35 goals from 20 games playing as a 3rd tall behind Jeremy Cameron and Rory Lobb. Patton did his knee that season.

That round 1 game vs North, he kicked 5 goals as Tarberner and Lobb were the 2 contesting talls. Cam was never a spear head, He is a 2nd or 3rd tall. That North game is proof of that.

I will give North Leeway on 2 things. North were playing in Perth Stadium. Like Subiaco of old, is a wider ground and that means more space compared to docklands. North also had injuries, especially in the back line.
Ross Lyin saying fans would be happy that they fought to the end? What a muppet. Come out and say it was a piss poor effort and not acceptable. If he acted as a coach and not as a man in fear of his job he'd get more respect. Losing to the Gold Coast of all teams is an absolute disgrace. On the same token if he's responsible for their loss then he's also responsible for their great display the week before. That was so Freo like however to play good the way they did then undo all their hard work with a disgraceful effort like that on the weekend.
Both teams were Horrible. Freos mids butchered the ball, Suns butchered their set shots. That 3 quarter time score of freo 7.7.49 to suns 4.16.40 proved it. The forward line was good despite the lack of decent forward 50 entries. McCarthy and Tarberner kicked 2 goals each. I will reserve my full judgement after 10-11 rounds.

I don't think Lyon fears for his job, nor he would quit. I doubt he would lose sleep. He is getting 1 million a year until 2020. No way near the same mind set of Mark Neeld in 2013.

Lyon probably thinks regardless what happens to freo, even if he got sacked tomorrow, he will get his full pay out. He would leave freos list in a balanced way age wise compared to 2008 when freo only had 6-7 players aged 23 or under.

Gold Coast were a better team on the day, they'll shock a few teams this year. Obviously we need to improve in order to beat the Saints this week but in the end we weren't good enough
Agreed on all this.

I have posted this before and Will post this again.

People have bagged out Ross Lyon on why freo doesn't post high scores in the last 3 years. It was due to not having the quality forwards for the structure and injuries.

Watching the North game I noticed a few things. It took us 2 years for freo to finally play Cam McCarthy to his strengths. In that 2015 season when he was with the GWS Giants, he kicked 35 goals from 20 games playing as a 3rd tall behind Jeremy Cameron and Rory Lobb. Patton did his knee that season.

That round 1 game vs North, he kicked 5 goals as Tarberner and Lobb were the 2 contesting talls. Cam was never a spear head, He is a 2nd or 3rd tall. That North game is proof of that.

I will give North Leeway on 2 things. North were playing in Perth Stadium. Like Subiaco of old, is a wider ground and that means more space compared to docklands. North also had injuries, especially in the back line.
Both teams were Horrible. Freos mids butchered the ball, Suns butchered their set shots. That 3 quarter time score of freo 7.7.49 to suns 4.16.40 proved it. The forward line was good despite the lack of decent forward 50 entries. McCarthy and Tarberner kicked 2 goals each. I will reserve my full judgement after 10-11 rounds.

I don't think Lyon fears for his job, nor he would quit. I doubt he would lose sleep. He is getting 1 million a year until 2020. No way near the same mind set of Mark Neeld in 2013.

Lyon probably thinks regardless what happens to freo, even if he got sacked tomorrow, he will get his full pay out. He would leave freos list in a balanced way age wise compared to 2008 when freo only had 6-7 players aged 23 or under.

Agreed on all this.
I don't quite share your optimism Freomaniac, but as always admire your thorough approach to posting.

Real Jekyl and Hyde stuff on the weekend.

You're right, we should reserve judgement on Freo until almost mid season, particularly because of their injury woes. However the most concerning aspect of Sundays horror how was just how badly Lyon was taken to the cleaners in the coaches box.
A forward line that was clearly too tall resulting in unfathomable space for GC to free wheel out of defence. What was also clear was how easily they allowed Gold Coast to run through the middle in the last 5 mins. A complete inability to clog up space.
Perhaps the most damning of all was a notable lack of urgency from Freo from the opening bounce - GC wanted it more. That falls on the coach for mine.
The reality being GC should have won by 8 goals +.

Interesting to see how they go about it the next 2 weeks, both at home. I sense we'll learn a bit.

Still not at all convinced Lyon is the man to take you forward and if he's not on thin ice already, he probably should be.

Again will reserve judgement for a bit yet, we've seen the best and worst of Freo in the opening two rounds.

Gee I'd love to see Hogan forward and Cerra in the middle - any ideas as to why this isn't happening?

With the new Rule anybody can beat anybody if a team overconfident and look down on their opponents. West coast fan should knew about their trip to Brisbane .Home team not just going to let you walk in and dominant without a fight .

What does this have to do with my post, your previous post or the original post you quoted?

What does this have to do with my post, your previous post or the original post you quoted?
What your reply got to do with my initial post please explain . If you can't understand then please don't reply my post in the first place.

Last edited:
I don't quite share your optimism Freomaniac, but as always admire your thorough approach to posting.

Real Jekyl and Hyde stuff on the weekend.

You're right, we should reserve judgement on Freo until almost mid season, particularly because of their injury woes. However the most concerning aspect of Sundays horror how was just how badly Lyon was taken to the cleaners in the coaches box.
A forward line that was clearly too tall resulting in unfathomable space for GC to free wheel out of defence. What was also clear was how easily they allowed Gold Coast to run through the middle in the last 5 mins. A complete inability to clog up space.
Perhaps the most damning of all was a notable lack of urgency from Freo from the opening bounce - GC wanted it more. That falls on the coach for mine.
The reality being GC should have won by 8 goals +.

Interesting to see how they go about it the next 2 weeks, both at home. I sense we'll learn a bit.

Still not at all convinced Lyon is the man to take you forward and if he's not on thin ice already, he probably should be.

Again will reserve judgement for a bit yet, we've seen the best and worst of Freo in the opening two rounds.

Gee I'd love to see Hogan forward and Cerra in the middle - any ideas as to why this isn't happening?
As I said, both Freo and suns were Horrible in certain areas. Freos midfield was sloppy, Suns sprayed their shots. Suns wanted to win that Badly obviously.

Seems like freo is a 8-10 goal better side at home compared to our away form. Freo stuffed up at the selection table.

Don't know why Hogan was in the Middle instead of CHF. He is not pav. Cerra started on the bench which surprised me. Cerra can play both as an inside and outside mid. That's why we use pick 5 on him.

Its funny that In 2012-15, Pav and Mayne was our ff and our CHF. This season, freo are spoilt for choices in Key forwards for the 1st time in Many years.

the next run of games are interesting

Saints at home,
Derby,
Giants away
then the Dogs at home.

No Disrespect to the dogs, we could kick 100 points on them like we did last year.

then the next 4 are tough as we have

the crows away,
Richmond at home,
Essendon away,
Brisbane at home and
Collingwood at the MCG.

the suns game was the most winnable game and we blew it. Brisbane looks tough as well even at home.

True. It felt like the Brisbane vs dockers game in 2017 at the GABBA. Dockers looked like they just need to turn up for the win. freo got smashed by 10 goals. Some freo players look like they were in holiday mode. we had the bye the next week.

What your reply got to do with my initial post please explain . If you can't understand then please don't reply my post in the first place.

You must be talking about the 666 rule with that freo poster I assume. I think the 666 rule was to benefit guys like Sloane, Dangerfield and Martin as they are inside mids with pace.

Ironic that its supposed to cut down on the Ross Lyon congested flood in the stoppages. Ironic that freo posted the biggest score of the round vs north in round 1.

The suns were very good against us, beat us in the midfield. I’d expect that from the pool of talent at GC. They’ll beat a bunch of teams this year as will Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know if it was just a one off but they didn’t look good in the middle outside of Fyfe on the weekend. Neale going and Mundy slowing down created a bit of a hole it seems.
I don’t know why they didn’t give young Cerra more time through there. He looks quite solidly built already and can play inside/outside. Walters another one I thought would’ve carved us up through there if given a run, not sure if he is injured or underdone?I assume Blakely was earmarked for big midfield minutes until he went down which doesn’t help.

Still, aren’t too far off finals while they can play so well at home. Depends which Fremantle is the exception to their normal style though, round 1 Freo or round 2?

I don’t know if it was just a one off but they didn’t look good in the middle outside of Fyfe on the weekend. Neale going and Mundy slowing down created a bit of a hole it seems.
I don’t know why they didn’t give young Cerra more time through there. He looks quite solidly built already and can play inside/outside. Walters another one I thought would’ve carved us up through there if given a run, not sure if he is injured or underdone?I assume Blakely was earmarked for big midfield minutes until he went down which doesn’t help.

Still, aren’t too far off finals while they can play so well at home. Depends which Fremantle is the exception to their normal style though, round 1 Freo or round 2?
Yes Lachie Neale is gone. We all know he was a important player gone, but we will not know how much we fully miss him until this season is done. If we are talking about Freos inside midfield stocks. Yes Fyfe, Mundy and Conca are the available experienced hands. Blakely we hope comes back fit in a month. Then we got the Youngsters in Cerra, Brayshaw and Banfield. Cerra Looked like he played on the back line as a spare defender after the suns Bombarded us.

Funny thing is I don't think the suns had too many injuries down back compared to North.

Yes Lachie Neale is gone. We all know he was a important player gone, but we will not know how much we fully miss him until this season is done. If we are talking about Freos inside midfield stocks. Yes Fyfe, Mundy and Conca are the available experienced hands. Blakely we hope comes back fit in a month. Then we got the Youngsters in Cerra, Brayshaw and Banfield. Cerra Looked like he played on the back line as a spare defender after the suns Bombarded us.

Funny thing is I don't think the suns had too many injuries down back compared to North.
To be honest , you could easily won with Lobb as the main ruck , Hogan , Tab , Cam Macharthy as the forward without Sean Darcy , Girro or Crowden would help your midfield instead of Hogan . Complacent . Too young as a team to change structure from Three tall to four Tall in a week ,in saying that it might work against st Kilda .

Last edited:
What do you guys make of Freo? They've performed admirably in the JLT which doesn't do then any injustice. No I do not base teams off this unless you are Richmond, as they have the credentials, players, form and championship caliber. Freo do have some quality in Fyfe, Walters, Neale, Mundy and can get goals from Ballantyne, a settled McCarthey and an ever improving Taberner. They have some good kids come up the last couple of years who aren't kids anymore as well as a number of experienced veterans.

The first half of last season was good with come back wins against the dogs, Dees and tigers, the last two at the MCG. Should have beaten us at the Cattery where they blew a lead and Walters missed on the siren to win it. Hey really fell off though in the 2nd half of 2017. Lyons been there for a number of years and has taken them far before.

Can they be a surprise, make the 8, or are they going to be where many expect and have a season not to dissimilar to 2017?
The Dockers would take off if they became the Tassie AFL side.This state should have had an AFL side years ago.

And where would that be ,Manus Island?
No doubt you are a noob and a troll.

But to answer your question.... Possibly round 9 vs Essendon, Round 19 vs the dogs and round 21vs the saints all at marvel are winnable. Demons at the MCG are beatable at current form. beat them 2 years ago at the mcg.

Kinda glad Fyfe isn't playing this week and I'm quite impressed with his little thing about making a statement/setting an example re:concussion.

Does anyone remember when he deliberately held up play a few years back to get an injured dude out of the congested area? I'm not convinced on the man bun and the fashion thingo but otherwise the bloke seems pretty classy, fair play to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back