Fremantle Dockers 2018/19 season watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Huge test this week, obviously 4 points is the aim and there is always a chance but you can't really back against the Eagles at this point. What Freo can do is compete in each match up and show they can stick with the good sides. Well at least that's what I'm hoping Freo can do, otherwise this could get very boring very quickly.

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Hopefully if it's going to be a flogging it's a statistically interesting one. If we're 80 points up, let's kick another 10, instead of coasting to a 50 point win or something.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok guys my 2 cents from the last two weeks ( a cent a game? joking! )

I thought the performance against St.Kilda was very good. Especially with Hill being on the bench for a while and then of course the absence in Fyfe through concussion. I believed the Dockers were going to get ran over after being a coupe rotations down, big balls to get up losing your inspirational leader and one of the games best ( if not the best ) Saints did a similar thing to Richmond last year allowing them off the hook being up a couple, also leading by 3 or 4 goals. But this year at least in the early going the Saints are proving to be a handful and a bit of a surprise packet. They did claw back the Hawks yesterday from a deficit mind you and thoroughly deserved their victory. It's still early days obviously for all because the likes of Gold Coast, Freo and the Saints have all played each other and haven't met the stronger sides going off last year, of course until yesterday in Hawthorn. Nonetheless wins are valuable and form is dicey both good and bad for all teams in the comp at this stage. Freo's early form once again is very 2017 and 2018 like and they did have a narrow 8 point loss to WCE in the first meeting in 2018 playing as the home team ( were the away side this time of course )

But we can only go off the present time and I thought Freo were by far the better team on Saturday night and if not for poor kicking should have won. To delve into that further of course things change within the game, maybe the Eagle could have gone up another gear if need be and they were playing within themselves a bit due to the absence of Fyfe. Perhaps a bit of complacency getting caught up in their own hype after beating the Maggies, drinking their own bath water maybe? Even all of that combined. Credit where credit is due though.

Aside from s**t kicking for goal and execution they played a good game and the last couple of weeks have been good. GWS is a massive test and I hope Freo can do well, and part of me believes they can.

So for the next month ahead

GWS away
Dogs at home
Crows away
Tigers at home

If they can go 2-2 that's good enough my opinion and they get a pass mark. I believe Freo will go 2-2 and more than likely win both their home games but an away win although unlikely could very well happen. The Doggies played well on Friday night after failing the week before to the Suns. All these games look hard on paper but Freo can do something here and if we're being honest 1-3 isn't good enough as that will put them 3-5 after 8 rounds. 4-4 and a 50 percent record gets the tick. Bombers, Lions and the Pies lie waiting after that. If we're looking further down the track then if they someway somehow get to 5-6 at the half way point of the season although that's not ideal, it would still be acceptable as it gives them a launching pad for the 2nd half of the season.

2-2 for now and Freo are getting the job done at this early stage of 2019.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Agree with all of this and likewise am hoping Freo can keep up the 50% win rate for now. I only got to watch the first quarter of the derby but it sounds like the team fought on at least which is a real positive. They're not clicking yet but still feeling like they might.

Fyfe and Blakely are the big names to get back, will instantly reinforce our midfield and we should have both within a couple of weeks. Further out Hill would be a bonus as well.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't take too much out of the derby. The corresponding fixture last year was even better from Freo.

And the past three games have been a reversion to the mean - low scoring slogs and inability to turn periods of dominance into scores. Bad forward set up - often the deepest forward is Walters, Matera or Shultz, which seems a waste of the four talls we rotate through there.

I'm pretty bullish on who we've recruited, even lesser blokes like Conca and Colyer look like they could fit into a cohesive side. I just don't believe our coach has it anymore, time has passed him by.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
*s sake freo maniac exactly what we were saying mid week.

Misses a goal right in front then proceeds to miss two after that as well both times GWS respond with a goal. Should have been 16 then 10 up.

Why hurry and kick around the corner when youre practically in front? No need to rush as well youre allowed to run around. He went on instinct and it was s**t.

Freo should be up 3-4 goals.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
****s sake freo maniac exactly what we were saying mid week.

Misses a goal right in front then proceeds to miss two after that as well both times GWS respond with a goal. Should have been 16 then 10 up.

Why hurry and kick around the corner when youre practically in front? No need to rush as well youre allowed to run around. He went on instinct and it was s**t.

Freo should be up 3-4 goals.
freo remarkably are doing well

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I had a feeling you would win today Maniac. You've put in some decent showings up there over the years { or at least about a 20 or 21 point loss in one of them ) I thought with the inclusion of Fyfe and last weeks form against the eagles bar the disposal, you could get the biccies. I did say on this page although unlikely, an away win could happen. If it wasn't this week I believe you would have beaten the Crows.

WELL DONE!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo Hitman

Premiership Player
Mar 9, 2003
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I don't take too much out of the derby. The corresponding fixture last year was even better from Freo.

And the past three games have been a reversion to the mean - low scoring slogs and inability to turn periods of dominance into scores. Bad forward set up - often the deepest forward is Walters, Matera or Shultz, which seems a waste of the four talls we rotate through there.

I'm pretty bullish on who we've recruited, even lesser blokes like Conca and Colyer look like they could fit into a cohesive side. I just don't believe our coach has it anymore, time has passed him by.

Lyon put in a masterclass yesterday

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Brilliant Maniac. 4 days on and the Dockers are left with a good vibe, belief and optimism. The game against the Dogs should launch their season further.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
How good's Matera been?

Adelaide next week what a cracker!

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Brilliant Maniac. 4 days on and the Dockers are left with a good vibe, belief and optimism. The game against the Dogs should launch their season further.
Sloppy effort vs the dogs. Nearly lost it too. Matera with 5 goals was the difference. Surprised that McCathy, Tabs and Hogan had a down game after the last month.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Sloppy effort vs the dogs. Nearly lost it too. Matera with 5 goals was the difference. Surprised that McCathy, Tabs and Hogan had a down game after the last month.

All players are not usually up at the same time, it was Maters’s turn to put on the turbos this week.

At least Freo have a semblance of a forward structure now.

Back