Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

e6ppfyprkt7b_250.jpg

Good photo of Brandon Walker courtesy of WAFC website

How will they help West coast ?
Mainly because their NGA isn't anywhere near as strong as ours. We have some potential top 30 prospects coming through. I have yet to see any in WC's NGA that look like that kind of quality. And their catchments probably favours them as well. As a Freo supporter I'm on the fence about it but if I were a WC fan (little bit of vomit just came up) then I'd be all for the change.

Excuse me peoples, what are the proposed nga changes your talking about?
Indigenous leaders were lamenting the missed chance for their young people to engage in the NGA programs of West Coast and Freo simply because they didn't live in the regions. The Western clubs proposed that all of the state be included in the NGA system so the metro and near metro indigenous players can stay engaged in the game, but that obviously this would represent a significant increase in local talent for each club (Rankine would be a Crows NGA player) so they suggested that NGA players aren't guaranteed for their club before pick 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indigenous leaders were lamenting the missed chance for their young people to engage in the NGA programs of West Coast and Freo simply because they didn't live in the regions. The Western clubs proposed that all of the state be included in the NGA system so the metro and near metro indigenous players can stay engaged in the game, but that obviously this would represent a significant increase in local talent for each club (Rankine would be a Crows NGA player) so they suggested that NGA players aren't guaranteed for their club before pick 30.
You certainly wouldn't want to dilute the investment into more remote regions though by including metro based kids. Perhaps the existing situation could remain with metro indigenous kids added under the "past pick 30" condition?

I think keeping those young men in footy, engaging their entire community with positive examples of teamwork and looking after themselves is worth it by itself.

From a list management point of view, if other clubs can access their entire state and extract that advantage then we should be able to as well. We'd only draw them back anyway if they were drafted away.

You certainly wouldn't want to dilute the investment into more remote regions though by including metro based kids. Perhaps the existing situation could remain with metro indigenous kids added under the "past pick 30" condition?
Metro based kids play WAFL colts. The development is done by the WAFC. All the Colts coaches are nominated and work for the WAFC - I don't know why you'd want to have another layer of development programs on top of that.

Regional kids on the other hand, don't have access to the development pathways and that's where the NGA's come in.

It's great for Afl, it's works well for the kids that get picked and their close family. But it is a worry that for a lot of idiginous kids in these community's it's Afl or welfare. A lot of the engagement programmes through schools teach very little. It's about quantity , not quality education.

For anyone interested, the Dockers and Eagles NGA's will go head to head this weekend in a mini derby before the Derby at Optus. I think kickoff is at 12.30 and the age group of the boys is the Under 14's (2005 & 2006).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back