Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Rowell must be the current clear favourite for #1? Absolute gun. Not sure about the comparison to Neale - Champion Data comparisons are never accurate though. Hopefully he grows a bit.

I like Jeremy Sharp but with so many speedy outside types in our NGA I can see us looking at others. Liked the look of Noah Anderson last year.
I think we need a burst mid more than most other types of player. Someone like Danger (der), Steven, Treloar etc. Fyfe and Blakely have power but neither are amazingly fast.

Ideally we draft Judd mk2.

I think we need a burst mid more than most other types of player. Someone like Danger (der), Steven, Treloar etc. Fyfe and Blakely have power but neither are amazingly fast.

Ideally we draft Judd mk2.
Think that's our plan with Sturt. He's got all the right attributes. A few of our NGA prospects are like that as well. Don't have Sturt's height but aren't short and are lightning quick. I'd also be making a play for Jack Martin still - maybe using next year's 1st rounder if possible. Or that Bennell bloke finally gets fit :(

There are a few forwards/half backs in the top end of this year's draft that might evolve into mids like that as well (Sharp could in time for instance) but it'd be a slow build like Sturt. Not really any speedster mids standing out which is why I like Anderson.

Think that's our plan with Sturt. He's got all the right attributes. A few of our NGA prospects are like that as well. Don't have Sturt's height but aren't short and are lightning quick. I'd also be making a play for Jack Martin still - maybe using next year's 1st rounder if possible. Or that Bennell bloke finally gets fit :(

There are a few forwards/half backs in the top end of this year's draft that might evolve into mids like that as well (Sharp could in time for instance) but it'd be a slow build like Sturt. Not really any speedster mids standing out which is why I like Anderson.
Sturt is interesting. Has the profile to play most roles. If he has an inside game then I agree we may already have the player I desire.

If there is no burst player I think we just take best available mid. We need good mids of any type in there whether that be a bull, an accumulator, extractor, etc.

I like Anderson and Rowell from the list posted.

I've had some interaction with Liam Henry last year when he was playing volleyball at school (He wanted to relax). Just a few things I saw when coaching him was the fact that this kids pretty much a loaded spring, just ready to go at any point. His jump is pretty darn good and will only improve into the future. He's been working in the gym pretty hard so hopefully he packs on some more weight. Also seems like a pretty good kid just overall.

Would love to get the guy in the team if we could

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, we are at our limit there

It would be a sad day when our culture is so poor that we have to leave elite talent to other clubs to manage!!

All clubs have players with issues, it is about how strong the culture and leadership is, this is where we have failed in the past.

It would be a sad day when our culture is so poor that we have to leave elite talent to other clubs to manage!!

All clubs have players with issues, it is about how strong the culture and leadership is, this is where we have failed in the past.

Sometimes it takes sending a kid interstate to get him away from bad influences. So some kids you can't pick because no matter your culture, you need to break the bonds of youth.

Henry, Thomas, Western, BWalker, CWalker and Haddow all with a possession now so they are all playing.

EF got two quick goals but looks like Claremont are working their way back into the game.

Henry already locking his spot on our list at the end of the year with 5 tackles in half a quarter.

edit - annoyed I couldn't get there to watch. Hopefully some kind soul can fill us in later.

Colts 6/4/19

Stats for NGs:

Joel Western: 19 possessions 4 tackles 2 inside 50s 1 goal
Liam Henry: 16 possessions 3 marks 8 tackles inside 50s 1 goal
Brandon Walker: 11 possessions (all kicks) 5 marks 3 tackles
Chris Walker: 8 possessions 3 marks 6 tackles
Leno Thomas: 7 possessions 2 marks 1 tackle, 1 behind
Keanu Haddow: 5 possessions 2 marks 2 tackles

Non NGs
Luke Jackson 36 hitouts, 11 possessions, 3 marks 1 tackle
Trent Rivers 26 possessions, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 3 inside 50s
Trey Roscoe 20 possessions, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 6 inside 50s, 2 goals

Interesting observations from Watchfromadistance on the game mentioned above:

It's funny because reading the paper this morning East Freos best players didnt match mine.

Anyway I will call it as I saw it:
I got there at 1/4 time and East Fremantle had a fast start.
Claremont managed to edge a bit closer by half time, but with Easts still seemingly in control.
After half time the game went up a notch the intensity increased and was really good to watch. Claremont came hard and had Easts on the ropes.
A lot of good work done by their blonde ruckman no. 25 Callum Jamieson (I think) halving the knocks with Jackson and working hard around the ground taking good contested marks and using the ball well. Liam Henry went into the middle, got his hands on the ball and oozed class with his sideways movement and uncanny ball use, consistently picking and hitting the right options.
Joel Western was tough inside and electrifying on the outside setting up many plays and scoring opportunities. Anthony Davis provided a strong mobile marking target at half forward.
While all this was going on East Freo were trying to stem the tide, mainly through their backs and midfield. Chad Warner worked tirelessly inside and Lachie Taylor was dropping into and finding space off half back. Keanu Haddow was doing everything he could at fullback to compete, halving the contest down there. Trent Rivers was everywhere gathering telling posessions at will without seeming explosive. Trey Ruscoe was working hard at the coal face but Claremont were getting them on the outside. Nothing in it at 3/4 time.
The start of the fourth quarter saw the igniter Liam Henry taken out of the middle to full fwd and eventually off the ground to not have an impact in the last (it seemed like he was somewhat managed) Claremont continued the fourth the way they finished the third and were able to hit the lead mainly through the players mentioned above.
East Fremantle then dug deep and Ruscoe began to wear down his opponents to gather more footy in the forward half. He then went up forward and took telling marks and kicked two telling goals. One set shot and one in general play. Sam Emery hit the ball with intensity and used the ball well across the forward line with a real sense of team first mentality (he put his body on the line to win the footy, then lowered his eyes to use it well)
Taylor and Warner continued to work hard. Rivers was once again prominent, with long clearing kicks out of defence and Brandon Walker stepped up in the last five minutes putting the squeeze on the tigers.
Luke Jackson was okay without being dominant.
East Fremantle fighting back and holding on for a tight win. It was a terrific game played in great spirit and well umpired.
Anyway folks, that is the way I saw it.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Big win this morning by the 04/05 NGA boys in a derby against the Naitanui academy at Lathlain Park.

Freo: 6-2 9-3 14-6 20-7 (127)
WCE: 0.0 1.0. 1.0. 1.0 (6)

Tendai mixed the boys around a lot position wise. Great team effort by Freo.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Which of our players let in the 1 goal against? "Your fired!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back