Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

For interest. Freo has 2 academy kids in yr 8 (13-14) at Scotch College whom have the best PSA side atm for the year. Both very good young players, one just an amazing indigenous talent (tall mid who doubles up as KPF at this age range) and the other with SA parent heritage who is equally as athletically gifted. The indigenous just got the northern district (Claremont/WP/Subi) best player award both will come through the CFC development pathway.

Apart from Henry and perhaps Western, would it be a fair comment that all the other kids are speculative picks at best?

Apart from Butters getting a few sausage rolls on the weekend there seemed to be very little hype around.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the AFL shut it down, but I don’t think the justification is there, especially compared to the academy systems in NSW and Qld.

Apart from Henry and perhaps Western, would it be a fair comment that all the other kids are speculative picks at best?

Apart from Butters getting a few sausage rolls on the weekend there seemed to be very little hype around.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the AFL shut it down, but I don’t think the justification is there, especially compared to the academy systems in NSW and Qld.
Walker is a chance as well - will be playing the u17s All Stars as well as Western (on opposite teams). The rest are speculative but I can see us filling our Cat B quota to give them a chance to prove themselves. A lot of clubs have nominated a heap of players in their NGA, often with none of them a chance of being drafted (many didn't even play Colts equiv level). We've been far more specific with our selections.

Next year's draft is anticipated to be compromised because of a heap of NGA prospects across most clubs. They aren't going to review NGA because of Freo. Other clubs have just as good, if not better, prospects as we do coming through (eg the Dogs have a top 5 prospect next season for instance). I'm expecting them to tweak the rules around it but I can't see them taking away clubs having first dibs on their NGA players - people are interested in following their journeys and invested in them. Any changes won't happen until 2021 at the earliest.

I went from about 175cm to 183cm in year 12 before stopping at 185cm some time after so id back 5cm at that age.
How tall is joel western now.
Alex Pearce, Tim English and Patrick Cripps all found 20cm in their late teen years. Cripps was shorter than me when he was 15, by the time he was 17 he was knocking 190 and kept going after he was drafted.

So things happen, but I wouldn't expect Western to be walking into the club at 183cm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Named in the best today. Could be looking at another top 20 NGA prospect next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back