Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Little disappointed tbh.

He was good enough to make a State squad and play some ok footy for the side so he can’t be that far off really. He won’t cost us anything either.

Hope he doesn’t pop up late in the rookie draft or as a mature ager in a few years time. A Category B rookie listing could’ve given us a look at him when he doesn’t have to worry about school etc. If he was crap cut him, if not let him develop further.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Dissapointing, they must have their reasons. What really does dissapoint me is the quiet on OReilly. We should have fought tooth & nail publicly to get our boy f a s. Never having had a father/son & being 1 game out. These are 2 decisions that could bite us pretty bad in the long term.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dissapointing, they must have their reasons. What really does dissapoint me is the quiet on OReilly. We should have fought tooth & nail publicly to get our boy f a s. Never having had a father/son & being 1 game out. These are 2 decisions that could bite us pretty bad in the long term.
If we really want O'Reilly there is a good chance he will be available at all 4 of our picks. Certainly at least the first 2 and most likely 3 and 4.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
I did like Medhat, thought he showed enough glimpses. He was a long term project, well suited to a Cat B rookie spot I'd have thought.

I think players can choose to return to the Academy as 19 year olds though? Closest example would be Ethan Penrith. He played U18 Championships last year however was overlooked by Carlton at the draft. But was named as part of their Academy this year while playing for their VFL team as a 19 year old. So if Medhat goes undrafted, perhaps we'll give him another look next year.

Puregold

All Australian
Jul 29, 2009
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
I did like Medhat, thought he showed enough glimpses. He was a long term project, well suited to a Cat B rookie spot I'd have thought.

I think players can choose to return to the Academy as 19 year olds though? Closest example would be Ethan Penrith. He played U18 Championships last year however was overlooked by Carlton at the draft. But was named as part of their Academy this year while playing for their VFL team as a 19 year old. So if Medhat goes undrafted, perhaps we'll give him another look next year.
Did Briggs from GWS do the same?

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC

Must have something on him. A free hit is lost if he progesses well next year.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
While that's great, and they look great, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that any non-indigenous person is not going to feel all that comfortable rocking one of those. Which makes the target market pretty small.
I think a lot of aboriginal art looks crap & it gets ramned down peoples throats. (That is just my opinion) I wouldnt wearsomething just to apease my white guilt. These look sweet & I would gladly wear 1.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
While that's great, and they look great, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that any non-indigenous person is not going to feel all that comfortable rocking one of those. Which makes the target market pretty small.
Why wouldn't non indigenous folk wear one? Heaps of non indigenous wear the indigenous Footy jumpers released each year.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
Why wouldn't non indigenous folk wear one? Heaps of non indigenous wear the indigenous Footy jumpers released each year.
Scared of being called out for cultural appropriation? The footy jumper is a different matter. That's culturally appropriate because you're (mostly) wearing to the footy and supporting our indigenous players. Wearing a tie on a normal day says what?

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Scared of being called out for cultural appropriation? The footy jumper is a different matter. That's culturally appropriate because you're (mostly) wearing to the footy and supporting our indigenous players. Wearing a tie on a normal day says what?
That you’re proud to live in a country with the oldest continuous culture in the world? That you’re happy to wear ties you think look good?

Back