Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
We are unlikely to finish above the pies this season. So unless they trade to get above us, to then use it on him... unlikely

We will use lower picks to accumulate the points required to get him

Assuming we need a player like him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the write-ups are correct and he has speed, skill and goalkicking ability, then absolutely we need that type. Everyone does.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
I see Liam around the 40-60 pick this year.. which leaves us with a dilemma.. we currently have a 1, and 2 round pick but not 3 or 4th round pick.. picks in round 5 don’t carry points..

If Henry currently gets bid on after our second pick I assume we go into point deficit for 2020 or we get an offset trade this year or we downgrade our second round pick for points.

Let’s see what eventuates, Freo do like Liam so I suspect barring an extremely high bid he will be at Freo next year!

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
And so it begins... Liam Henry a potential first round pick according to The West.

Alongside Sharp (as the best WA prospect) and Luke Jackson (2nd best) I think I agree. He is incredibly skilful and he's not a midget. But a long way to go until draft day.

Don't even consider that we are not taking him. He is 100% lock to be at Freo at the end of the year imo.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
And so it begins... Liam Henry a potential first round pick according to The West.

Alongside Sharp (as the best WA prospect) and Luke Jackson (2nd best) I think I agree. He is incredibly skilful and he's not a midget. But a long way to go until draft day.

Don't even consider that we are not taking him. He is 100% lock to be at Freo at the end of the year imo.
The word "potentially" is pretty meaningless to me. Pretty sure Carter had the same adjective at various stages. Sumich did us a favour and used a different adjective; "fumbly", I think it was. But even so, every single NGA player goes for below draft value, so all good.

Man, I would be pretty surprised if Henry goes first round, clubs dont bother bidding for Academy/FS unless its an absolute no-brainer. They inevitably go later than they normally would.

I like the look of Henry, but I doubt he's first round material. The West just blowing smoke as per usual

edit: Having said that, this is pretty exciting, anyone know when Carter first played league, was this year his debut?
1556678293644.png

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Man, I would be pretty surprised if Henry goes first round, clubs dont bother bidding for Academy/FS unless its an absolute no-brainer. They inevitably go later than they normally would.

I like the look of Henry, but I doubt he's first round material. The West just blowing smoke as per usual
There's a difference between being worth a 1st rounder and being bid on in the 1st round though. I think there is a valid argument that he is the third best WA prospect this year and as such should be in the conversation for being worth a 1st round selection. I'd be surprised if a bid came in the 1st round as well - but a lot can change through the u18s champs. On talent alone I'm sure both you and I had Stack as worth a 1st round pick last year and he ended up not getting drafted until the supplemental period because of his many off field question marks. We are going to get an exceptional talent, irrespective of where he gets bid on. Likewise with Western and Walker next season.

There's a difference between being worth a 1st rounder and being bid on in the 1st round though. I think there is a valid argument that he is the third best WA prospect this year and as such should be in the conversation for being worth a 1st round selection. I'd be surprised if a bid came in the 1st round as well - but a lot can change through the u18s champs. On talent alone I'm sure both you and I had Stack as worth a 1st round pick last year and he ended up not getting drafted until the supplemental period because of his many off field question marks. We are going to get an exceptional talent, irrespective of where he gets bid on. Likewise with Western and Walker next season.
Fair point, as a nuffy watcher of draft videos, it sucks that all the draft watchers on here are Eastern States, even Chris25 wont have had a chance to actually watch him I'd imagine so cant properly rate against the rest of the draft.

I'll be interested to see whether Henry or Rivers get 3rd billing. Rivers is looking very good and I think a decent chance to be picked up as a late 1st / early 2nd

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'll be interested to see whether Henry or Rivers get 3rd billing. Rivers is looking very good and I think a decent chance to be picked up as a late 1st / early 2nd
Yeah I have Rivers in my top 4. I've watched most of them play at some point in the past yer or so but definitely no expert. TBH I'd be pretty happy if we found a way to use our 1st rounder (for a trade or best available), used our 2nd on Rivers and then found points for a Henry bid in the 2nd round, and then considered throwing one of our other NGA prospects a Cat B lifeline.

Yeah I have Rivers in my top 4. I've watched most of them play at some point in the past yer or so but definitely no expert. TBH I'd be pretty happy if we found a way to use our 1st rounder (for a trade or best available), used our 2nd on Rivers and then found points for a Henry bid in the 2nd round, and then considered throwing one of our other NGA prospects a Cat B lifeline.
The Cogs (reckon GWS match any offer), Henry, Rivers dream...

Last edited:

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
There's a difference between being worth a 1st rounder and being bid on in the 1st round though.
I also don't believe that in the first round clubs always go for best available, but think they factor in needs, including from the early picks.

I suggest we may have done that with Blakely. I see him as one of the top picks for sure, but our need was for a good, in and under player,, good character etc, so he jumps to the top of the list. Plus it looks like we may have picked him at #2 to ensure we got him (ahead of North Melbourne's #3 pick), plus gave ourselves the best chance to also get Cerra at #5.

Another example from that draft is Naughton. I would be surprised bordering on shocked if the club didn't rate him very highly, but taking into account our midfield needs, plus a comment from him that he would like to move East, and the decision on drafting or not drafting him is impacted.

Even this last draft, the speculation of who was the #1 player was contentious, but being well stocked with KPFs, and urgently needing midfield talent, Carlton were always taking the local boy in Walsh. Another team with that pick = a different decision.

All speculation of course, but there you have it.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Another write-up about Henry, this time in the first edition of a new AFL Draft Watch series by the WAFL.

http://www.wafootball.com.au/news/16930/afl-draft-watch-april-edition

LIAM HENRY - CLAREMONT
The Christ Church Grammar student is one of the most electrifying wingmen in this year’s AFL Draft Pool. Much like Fremantle’s 2017 Doig Medallist Bradley Hill, Henry is quick, skilful, agile, damaging forward of centre and is an excellent two-way runner. In three games for Claremont, Henry has averaged 22 possessions, six marks, five tackles, and three inside 50s, with a best-afield performance against East Perth (24 possessions and four goals) and dominant performances over East Fremantle (16 possessions, eight tackles, seven marks and a goal) and West Perth (26 possessions and five tackles). It would not be a surprise to see Henry in Claremont’s senior squad later in the year, such is his professionalism and ability. He is eligible for Fremantle as a Next-Generation Academy selection.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Western isnt getting the hype Walker is, should we be more excited?

Western is getting less hype because he is currently very small at 171-173cm (Eddie Betts / Ballantyne size. I think he is however still more than draftable as he has the speed+skills+workrate trifecta and is already very effective as a small forward (which is why he is in as an underager and probably where he would play at AFL level), but he is likely to be a late or rookie pick at this stage.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Western is getting less hype because he is currently very small at 171-173cm (Eddie Betts / Ballantyne size. I think he is however still more than draftable as he has the speed+skills+workrate trifecta and is already very effective as a small forward (which is why he is in as an underager and probably where he would play at AFL level), but he is likely to be a late or rookie pick at this stage.
not sure why people think that a small forward who is small is an issue.

Small forwards and Rucks tend to fall due to being able to play only one role vs a midfielder who can play high forward or half back.

Back