Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
What position was he holding in the backline? Did he play elsewhere?

He is playing half back both U18s and colts (which means that he would already have done their apprenticeship for Ross Lyon). As Tombomb says it is the combination of superior athleticsm plus his execution particularly on the counterattack that is making Brandon a very appealling prospect for next year. Basically he is the ideal Ross Lyon player from a type perspective.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
not sure why people think that a small forward who is small is an issue.

Small forwards and Rucks tend to fall due to being able to play only one role vs a midfielder who can play high forward or half back.

Never said there was an issue; just simply stating why he isn't getting as much attention as Brandon Walker or say Logan MacDonald - he just isn't something that recruiters typically prioritise.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Never said there was an issue; just simply stating why he isn't getting as much attention as Brandon Walker or say Logan MacDonald - he just isn't something that recruiters typically prioritise.
recruiters fall in love how a player looks instead of looking at their performance.

One kid who is over 185cm and can run and jump will get noticed but the kid who does the 1% percentage and has an impact on winning is over looked.

Watts is the perfect example of recruiters getting excited and no one looked at his lack of will to win.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
I might need to watch the first trial game again to really double down on Henry but he is one I liked on my first viewing. My stance on small forwards has changed over the years and are now players I don’t think should be looked at as later selections which was the norm, seeing his stats for WA shows he has the midfield capabilities aswell which is a bonus.

He is playing half back both U18s and colts (which means that he would already have done their apprenticeship for Ross Lyon). As Tombomb says it is the combination of superior athleticsm plus his execution particularly on the counterattack that is making Brandon a very appealling prospect for next year. Basically he is the ideal Ross Lyon player from a type perspective.
Ysaye, i completely forgot about you as one of the only WA draft watchers, so sorry. Whats your opinion on Henry, do you think he has the ability to be a first round / early second draft pick-up

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Ysaye, i completely forgot about you as one of the only WA draft watchers, so sorry. Whats your opinion on Henry, do you think he has the ability to be a first round / early second draft pick-up

As said I think earlier in this thread - I have done a bit of review of his trial game which is posted on the internet. IMO he has nearly everything that you would want in a first or second round pick; high skill level and quick decision-maker coupled with explosive pace and agility, reasonable size and he is vocal on the field and seen to be marshalling guys into position and a goal kicker. His ability to burst through congestion is one thing that sticks in the mind, but equally he is also just a good reliable set shot at goal and has a nice clean action, but he can also kick on the turn well as well. eDPS noted him as a top eye-catcher from the first trial game against SA of players that he hasn't seen yet, and he really was.

"Downsides" are that he is less about winning the ball under packs and more skilled flanker and whilst he has some decent possession numbers at WAFL colts (getting 20+ a few times https://www.wafl.com.au/player/liam-henry), he is more is a "dangerous with 3/4 of the possessions of the real ball magnets". He is also apparently carrying a leg injury according to some; hopefully this is not a long term problem. And at 179-182cm heigh space he is not massive, although he is not small either.

IMO whether he actually goes first or second round or later is dependent on:

(1) How he does in the championships - all indications so far is that he should do well, apart from if he is affected by the leg injury that he is apparently carrying. If he has some games where he gets 20+ possessions then people will really take notice;
(2) Whether he ends up playing for the Claremont seniors - in his case if he plays for them I think this will be a huge feather because unlike Sharp and East Fremantle I think Claremont won't have the idle space in there for him unless he is super impressive. The PSA thing might also play its part in this space; and
(3) Cases made by other players, particularly Vic Metro - there are a lot of Vic Metro kids that are said to be very good at this stage who are similar, and one can imagine them being prioritised by a number of clubs (particularly in the first round) over bidding on a WA kid already linked strongly with a club.

I thought Carter was a reasonably high pick last year; I was wrong as he was left through to the rookie draft, although watching him in action this year I still feel justified in thinking he is someone to watch going forward. Difference will possibly be that Carter didn't have much of the ball last year, was also erratic with his kicking and didn't play midfield or every really hurt the opposition like he did in the year before that. I get the sense that come the championships this year, Henry will play part in the midfield and part up forward. The eastern states teams haven't been burnt yet for letting a WA youngster fall to a pick below the value of where they are at, and I suspect that we may be able to still get him for a bargain because of that.

As said I think earlier in this thread - I have done a bit of review of his trial game which is posted on the internet. IMO he has nearly everything that you would want in a first or second round pick; high skill level and quick decision-maker coupled with explosive pace and agility, reasonable size and he is vocal on the field and seen to be marshalling guys into position and a goal kicker. His ability to burst through congestion is one thing that sticks in the mind, but equally he is also just a good reliable set shot at goal and has a nice clean action, but he can also kick on the turn well as well. eDPS noted him as a top eye-catcher from the first trial game against SA of players that he hasn't seen yet, and he really was.

"Downsides" are that he is less about winning the ball under packs and more skilled flanker and whilst he has some decent possession numbers at WAFL colts (getting 20+ a few times https://www.wafl.com.au/player/liam-henry), he is more is a "dangerous with 3/4 of the possessions of the real ball magnets". He is also apparently carrying a leg injury according to some; hopefully this is not a long term problem. And at 179-182cm heigh space he is not massive, although he is not small either.

(1) How he does in the championships - all indications so far is that he should do well, apart from if he is affected by the leg injury that he is apparently carrying. If he has some games where he gets 20+ possessions then people will really take notice;
(2) Whether he ends up playing for the Claremont seniors - in his case if he plays for them I think this will be a huge feather because unlike Sharp and East Fremantle I think Claremont won't have the idle space in there for him unless he is super impressive. The PSA thing might also play its part in this space; and
(3) Cases made by other players, particularly Vic Metro - there are a lot of Vic Metro kids that are said to be very good at this stage who are similar, and one can imagine them being prioritised by a number of clubs (particularly in the first round) over bidding on a WA kid already linked strongly with a club.

I thought Carter was a reasonably high pick last year; I was wrong as he was left through to the rookie draft, although watching him in action this year I still feel justified in thinking he is someone to watch going forward. Difference will possibly be that Carter didn't have much of the ball last year, was also erratic with his kicking and didn't play midfield or every really hurt the opposition like he did in the year before that. I get the sense that come the championships this year, Henry will play part in the midfield and part up forward. The eastern states teams haven't been burnt yet for letting a WA youngster fall to a pick below the value of where they are at, and I suspect that we may be able to still get him for a bargain because of that.
You're a legend. Thanks so much

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Western's an absolute freak of an athlete. Haven't seen him play much footy though, by all reports from a couple of fellas his age he's pretty darn good. Would be disappointed if we didn't take him next year, guys with that speed and attitude have a high chance of success.

I agree re bargain value. I feel like clubs just dont put any time into Academy/FS kids they dont see as absolutely elite and why would you? There is a lot of personnel preference from recruiters from 20 on wards that I would imagine they often have 3 kids they would take at a pick so why put the time into someone you know you arent going to get, its a waste of resources.

Bids on kids after 20 odd feel like they come with additional discounting whereby clubs will only bid when its come to the point where its stupid not to based on there talent alone. Given Carter has looked terrific off that half-back line I'm going to back in your judgement and say Henry is a top 10 pick and anything less is a bargain =)

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Western is getting less hype because he is currently very small at 171-173cm (Eddie Betts / Ballantyne size. I think he is however still more than draftable as he has the speed+skills+workrate trifecta and is already very effective as a small forward (which is why he is in as an underager and probably where he would play at AFL level), but he is likely to be a late or rookie pick at this stage.
So he's taller than Caleb Daniel ?

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle

Pretty sure of the following in that photo of the NGA guys.

Keanu is the one kneeling, Liam Henry is the light hair one second from the left, the two tall guys are Brandon and Chris ( different hair cuts so we can tell them apart maybe).

After that I get a bit vague. Butters? Small one on the right. Colborne tall one third from the RHS.

Manfred In the middle.. as for Joel Western not sure but I think he is next to Liam is.

I’m sure others might know.

Last edited:

Zurgblade

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty sure of the following in that photo of the NGA guys.

Keanu is the one kneeling, Liam Henry is the light hair one second from the left, the two tall guys are Brandon and Chris ( different hair cuts so we can tell them apart maybe).

After that I get a bit vague. Butters? Small one on the right. Colborne tall one third from the RHS.

Manfred In the middle.. as for Joel Western not sure but I think he is next to Liam is.

I’m sure others might know.

Back Row: Chris, Liam, Joel, Brandon, Manni, dunno.
Front: Keanu

UYD 4 Life

All Australian
Nov 27, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'll have a crack.
Back row: Chris Walker, - 2020 Liam Henry - 2019, Joel western - 2020, Brandon Walker - 2020, Manfred Kelly - 2019, Riley Colburne - ? possibly 2021, Isaiah Butters 2019, Unknown (perhaps a new 2021 kid), Tendai
Front: Keanu Haddow - 2020

Jul 20, 2018
Spoke to someone down at Claremont today

Keps is also a coach down there

Freo and the club are constantly fighting as FFC are wanting Liam to play colts only, and play intermittently, or only a few quarters - with the obvious intent to hide him

FWIW - keps and my mate thinks he could / should be top 10 pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Spoke to someone down at Claremont today

Keps is also a coach down there

Freo and the club are constantly fighting as FFC are wanting Liam to play colts only, and play intermittently, or only a few quarters - with the obvious intent to hide him

FWIW - keps and my mate thinks he could / should be top 10 pick

Interesting. Not sure I am happy with us carrying out underhanded tactics if true.

If he is worthy of a top 10 pick then just do what the other academy's do and trade out our first for value.

Jul 20, 2018
Interesting. Not sure I am happy with us carrying out underhanded tactics if true.

If he is worthy of a top 10 pick then just do what the other academy's do and trade out our first for value.

I feel no club can hide players anymore

And if he’s worth a top 10, then yes we will have to make that sort of strategic move

Yeah I do agree. I mean, how suspicious does it look if he is fit but only plays a half or is played in his non-preferred position?
Yeah I mean, he's going to be playing in the Championships anyway, I seriously doubt it could do much good hiding him

Just let him do his thing and start developing him as well as possible.

Having said that, Carter is dominating for Peel and we got him as a Cat B rookie...

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I mean, he's going to be playing in the Championships anyway, I seriously doubt it could do much good hiding him

Just let him do his thing and start developing him as well as possible.

Having said that, Carter is dominating for Peel and we got him as a Cat B rookie...

We did a better job at hiding him. Had him at Peel where we could control things easier.

Back