Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Chris has a speculative list in the draft forum. EF Sharp, Jackson, Rivers, Ruscoe, Warner.

Jeremy Sharp - probably the best WA prospect, expect to play off half back / wing and break the lines and "gain lots of metres". Fast, tallish and intercepts time and again, reads the play well, decent kick (some say very good but when I have seen him there have been quite a few turnovers) but makes the play on the counterattack, and at this level will play on repeatedly if the opposition don't properly account for him. If he gets 25+ possessions most of the champs expect to go around the top 7.

Luke Jackson - Will be the main ruck, very good tap ruckman, good leap, little undersized but should easily be the best ruck in the champs. Very mobile, athletic and good at ground level, decent kick both shot on goal and just more than handy around the stoppages. Rucks are not flavour of the month in recent drafting history but Jackson has a good alround ability that definitely suits modern requirements.

Trent Rivers - tallish ball magnet, I don't know the numbers but would think his endurance results but you would think he is up there with some of the best for this year. Decent kick, decent around the stoppages but a little vanilla for mine in all other aspects, but that's maybe fine if you are getting 25+ possessions every game. If he can get 30s in two or three games then he may move into top 30 contention.

Ruscoe and Warner are okay players but I reckon on the cusp of the draft where they may go or may be unlucky.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Jeremy Sharp - probably the best WA prospect, expect to play off half back / wing and break the lines and "gain lots of metres". Fast, tallish and intercepts time and again, reads the play well, decent kick (some say very good but when I have seen him there have been quite a few turnovers) but makes the play on the counterattack, and at this level will play on repeatedly if the opposition don't properly account for him. If he gets 25+ possessions most of the champs expect to go around the top 7.

Luke Jackson - Will be the main ruck, very good tap ruckman, good leap, little undersized but should easily be the best ruck in the champs. Very mobile, athletic and good at ground level, decent kick both shot on goal and just more than handy around the stoppages. Rucks are not flavour of the month in recent drafting history but Jackson has a good alround ability that definitely suits modern requirements.

Trent Rivers - tallish ball magnet, I don't know the numbers but would think his endurance results but you would think he is up there with some of the best for this year. Decent kick, decent around the stoppages but a little vanilla for mine in all other aspects, but that's maybe fine if you are getting 25+ possessions every game. If he can get 30s in two or three games then he may move into top 30 contention.

Ruscoe and Warner are okay players but I reckon on the cusp of the draft where they may go or may be unlucky.
Love your insights.

Regarding Jackson, what other role do you think he may play at AFL level when not rucking? Could he become a serious forward, or is that only ever going to be his resting position?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Would people compare Jeremy Sharp to Jordan Clark from last years draft?
Clark has been/is terrific. Not quite hitting a "need" for me with our backline already doing well and Carter progressing. Also some of the future NGAs play from defence a bit too don't they (Walker)?

Someone more in the Stephenson role would be my choice, but perhaps Sharp can play more mid/forward?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-06/exciting-nga-prospect-shaping-as-a-firstround-draft-pick

shut up.gif

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Love your insights.

Regarding Jackson, what other role do you think he may play at AFL level when not rucking? Could he become a serious forward, or is that only ever going to be his resting position?

What was Justin Longmuir? A 60% forward / 40% Ruckman? I think he can be like that - Jackson has good marking hands and leap, decent mobility and skills. That's the best forward case IMO. In terms of the expected result, I would lean towards concurring with Chris that he might be more similar to Patrick Ryder; Ryder had almost 30 goals for a season for Essendon predominantly as a primary ruck at one point which is sort of slightly higher than a midfielder level of goals.

Not sure whether in either instance we call that a "serious" forward?

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Would people compare Jeremy Sharp to Jordan Clark from last years draft?

From the WAFL seniors late last year to AFL this year, Jordan Clark has been a skilled kicker who also is a quick decision maker (who makes lots of risky decisions pay off) and quite evasive. I don't think he will ever be a power athlete type although one might have said that of Fyfe once so...don't rule the possibility out entirely! Clark works as a HBF but he also suits a HFF as well as his passing to teammates in congested 50 is at times a thing of beauty.

Jeremy Sharp (like Clark) is also a good reader of the play (particularly from HB) and takes the game on regularly. He is IMO not the kick that Clark is, but because he takes the game on with such aggressiveness and speed it doesn't matter that much because often the options quickly open up anyway. Sharp also has already the kind of frame that will (with a maybe a few more years in the gym) allow him just break tackles and lines at AFL level through sheer speed and power; I don't see Clark ever being that. The hard two-way running and work rate is also higher with Sharp I would guess.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
So you see him as a top 10 pick?

Or you see us going deep in the finals?

Anyway, if the club thinks he will take our first pick, then that pick will be traded.

I'm not a draft expert and can't predict were clubs rate him. I do think Freo can make finals which msy put him in contention for a bid.

A goal scorer who racks up the numbers and is one of good character will catch clubs attention.

Docker44

Rookie
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
So you see him as a top 10 pick?

Or you see us going deep in the finals?

Anyway, if the club thinks he will take our first pick, then that pick will be traded.
Based on today’s game he is not a first round draft pick.
He played from behind against a taller player and was continually beaten.
Every time he got the ball he tried to do to much and ran into trouble.
Yes he kicked 3, but one was an over the back and another a soft free kick off the ball.
He has good skills but needs to make better decisions and use his quick hands.
Robertson and Ruscoe WA’s best by a mile.

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
Anyone know how Jackson went in the ruck?
I really like him after last years champs and I can see his type - the undersized mobile ruck as the way we should go.
We can’t draft every player we like but if we can get a mid/half back like Sharp and a ruck/forward like Jackson and Henry as an academy pick up that would be some incredible list management - both in terms of locals and needs.
How do we get the picks ?
I’m open to trading for need and those with currency:
Langdon - pick 17- 26 ?
Taberner - anywhere from pick 20 - 32?
Cox - 15 - 25?
Dixon pick around 45- 55 ?

And Sean Darcy -ready the pitchforks!! I’d use him to leverage something from Geelong to Kelly - exchange of firsts and Trade ???
Ok this might be dumb.....

Back