Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Docker44

Rookie
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone know how Jackson went in the ruck?
I really like him after last years champs and I can see his type - the undersized mobile ruck as the way we should go.
We can’t draft every player we like but if we can get a mid/half back like Sharp and a ruck/forward like Jackson and Henry as an academy pick up that would be some incredible list management - both in terms of locals and needs.
How do we get the picks ?
I’m open to trading for need and those with currency:
Langdon - pick 17- 26 ?
Taberner - anywhere from pick 20 - 32?
Cox - 15 - 25?
Dixon pick around 45- 55 ?

And Sean Darcy -ready the pitchforks!! I’d use him to leverage something from Geelong to Kelly - exchange of firsts and Trade ???
Ok this might be dumb.....
I thought Jackson was good today but at the moment he is probably undersized as an AFL Ruckman at 198cm. Especially when you see guys like Tim English at 205 get pushed around.
He competes really well in the air and is good when the ball is on the ground.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I thought Jackson was good today but at the moment he is probably undersized as an AFL Ruckman at 198cm. Especially when you see guys like Tim English at 205 get pushed around.
I can see him and Lobb being an unusual but dangerous pairing due to mobility and goal scoring. I see Darcy and Lobb being more traditional but less dangerous. Our midfield has been fine with a less dominant ruck set up.

More than happy to stick with Darcy but the club relegated Darcy to the WAFL rather than go 2 rucks in the 22. If we can get another ruck with decent "other" skills to partner Lobb, I am keen. Hoping to get Darcy back in asap to see where he is developing.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

From memory, Tim English was 197cm or less when he got drafted. Paddy Ryder is (according to wiki) 196cm although I thought he was 198cm.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Based on today’s game he is not a first round draft pick.
He played from behind against a taller player and was continually beaten.
Every time he got the ball he tried to do to much and ran into trouble.
Yes he kicked 3, but one was an over the back and another a soft free kick off the ball.
He has good skills but needs to make better decisions and use his quick hands.
Robertson and Ruscoe WA’s best by a mile.
Had a crap game, yet kicks three? Sounds like a keeper.

Docker44

Rookie
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
From memory, Tim English was 197cm or less when he got drafted. Paddy Ryder is (according to wiki) 196cm although I thought he was 198cm.
English was well over over 200 (205 his draft profile said) when he was drafted. Not many no1 Ruckman under 200. He will need to grow or play key position.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t think so. It wasn’t live streamed anywhere.
It's ridiculous, I just assumed it would be on Kayo/Fox but apparently not.

Absurd given the AFL made noise about making the draft more accessible and can't even scrape together a couple of cameras for the champs.

Absurd given the AFL made noise about making the draft more accessible and can't even scrape together a couple of cameras for the champs.
do you know whats more ridiculous, they shutdown Giantroo's videos for copyright and then offer absolutely nothing as a substitute. Makes me pretty angry they can be such pieces of crap about this

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
do you know whats more ridiculous, they shutdown Giantroo's videos for copyright and then offer absolutely nothing as a substitute. Makes me pretty angry they can be such pieces of crap about this
Spot on. They clearly want to leverage the player movement aspects of the game (ie midseason draft) and yet can't even do the bare basics. Amateur hour.

Docker44

Rookie
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

You can live stream Cervantes vs moora or cockburn lakes vs roleystone on footy radio.
But no U18s championship. Lol

English was well over over 200 (205 his draft profile said) when he was drafted. Not many no1 Ruckman under 200. He will need to grow or play key position.
He was drafted a year later and is one of those guys who shot up a lot in their lead up.

Alex Pearce grew about 20cm

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
With regards to Henry if he l
Anyone know how Jackson went in the ruck?
I really like him after last years champs and I can see his type - the undersized mobile ruck as the way we should go.
We can’t draft every player we like but if we can get a mid/half back like Sharp and a ruck/forward like Jackson and Henry as an academy pick up that would be some incredible list management - both in terms of locals and needs.
How do we get the picks ?
I’m open to trading for need and those with currency:
Langdon - pick 17- 26 ?
Taberner - anywhere from pick 20 - 32?
Cox - 15 - 25?
Dixon pick around 45- 55 ?

And Sean Darcy -ready the pitchforks!! I’d use him to leverage something from Geelong to Kelly - exchange of firsts and Trade ???
Ok this might be dumb.....
draft picks are overrated.

Better to trade picks for players.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
In addition to the 3 goals, Henry also gave one off to another player via foot and apparently also laid 6 tackles.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
D

Didnt say crap game. Said not top 10 draft pick based on today’s performance.
You said not a first round pick. First round is 1-18/19. I think as we sit today he is around the 15-25 mark. That could go up or down depending on the carnival, end of season WAFL form and the combine.

Docker44

Rookie
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
You said not a first round pick. First round is 1-18/19. I think as we sit today he is around the 15-25 mark. That could go up or down depending on the carnival, end of season WAFL form and the combine.
Over the past couple of years I have watched a lot of Henry and Ian Hill. I rate Hill higher than Henry.
Hill has better skills both in the air and by foot. Hill also a had a reasonable footy brain.
I rate Henry but think he is still quite raw. A club may gamble on him in the first round but I don’t think so.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Thought Henry tried to be a bit showy at times, got a bake from his teammates for trying the freaky goal when he had options, pulled his head in a bit after that but I would hope that’s not a trend.

But anyway overall I think his game was great he used the ball well and looked very comfortable up the ground and was composed by hand.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thought Henry tried to be a bit showy at times, got a bake from his teammates for trying the freaky goal when he had options, pulled his head in a bit after that but I would hope that’s not a trend.

But anyway overall I think his game was great he used the ball well and looked very comfortable up the ground and was composed by hand.
If you watch Freo closely I'd rather he tries the flashy play, we lack the X factor going forward and are predictable. Ross will ensure his
defensive side improves.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
the west

Fremantle Next Generational Academy member Liam Henry (three goals) and Peel Thunder pocket rocket Ryan Bennell (1.2 and five tackles) did some exciting things up forward.

Henry’s finishing was pure class, while tackling pressure and hard-running was a feature of Bennell’s game on WA debut.
Best Western Australia: Robertson, Garcia, Ruscoe, L Jackson, Henry, Sharp, Taylor

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
WA coach Peter Sumich talked up enigmatic forward Elijah Taylor as the most talented player in this year’s crop and he didn’t take long to show that.

Taylor took two contested marks in the first two minutes of the match before coolly slotting through the opener.

The Perth Demon produced a brilliant crumbing goal in the final term to finish with a pair of majors, and nearly pulled down a stunning mark.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mountains of statistical data say that is incorrect.
https://www.draftguru.com.au/analysis/pick-value-comparison/medians

You look at the comparison for picks and will shock you.

Early picks 1-3 are gold, 4-5 are silver and then after the picks are very disappointing.

Picks 6-10 average 120 games, takes 6.2 picks to get one All Australian and only 3 Brownlow votes (career).

Picks 11 -20 average 92.5 games, takes 5.9 picks to get one All Australian and only 3 Brownlow Votes (career)

Last edited:
Back